3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Mountain Lion season in Iowa!  (Read 855 times)

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Mountain Lion season in Iowa!
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2013, 02:36:00 PM »
Got them around here also. Four DNR documented trail cam pictures this yr in different areas.

One walked out from right behind where I live and crossed the hwy about 3yrs ago. That same yr I had two of something come up within 70yrds of the stand I was in late one afternoon. If they weren't cougars or mountain lions I have no earthly idea what they were.

Offline Ghost77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2013, 04:05:00 PM »
I have seen tracks in Cali, a cat in Fl, and two in NY. Moving to Idaho in the fall hoping to make it all four corners. They are out there no matter what the government tells you. NY has been getting wilder. I keep seeing mink, porcupine, and fisher cats pushing further and further south every year.

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2013, 04:30:00 PM »
In the last thread I saw photos of a "reported" cougar, I mailed copy to a friend in Michigan who is one of the leading eastern cougar authorities about and he said house cat.  One photo showed the cat with its tail straight up in the air spraying a bush.  That one was easy, as the cougar does not raise its tail vertically to spray.

This one was pretty easy too, as the animal on the right is a dog, nothing catlike at all.  The other animal is likely a dog as well.

Offline H1tman7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2013, 05:07:00 PM »
I saw one just out south of Des Moines IA off I35 crossing a field. I pulled off on to the median and got a good look at it with 10x meopta binos. It was definately a lion, not a house cat. I've shot 2 of them to date so I know what they look like!

« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2013, 06:57:00 PM »
I would not worry too much about what any government department says, they are conditioned to not be able to deal with the truth.  However, we have had our share of sightings in the NW end of the state as well. I saw one jump up out of a cedar thicket and clobber a turkey out of the air.  I tried to report it and I even marked some tracks, but the dnr did not want to believe me.  I did not tell them about the one that was leaving big tracks in the dust and burying turkey feathers last year.

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2013, 06:59:00 PM »
Cool! Always wanted to see one.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline Gary Rieck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2013, 07:28:00 PM »
If you go on the web site and look up KCCI news about the mountain lion siting it has a story about DMPD shooting another mountain lion in Des Moines last year with pics.  Had confirmed sitings a year ago in NE Iowa where I hunt.  Sister-in-law  saw one cross the road in front of her in that area.  She knows what she's talking about.  Iowa has lions.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2013, 07:59:00 PM »
Yup, we have them in NY but are DEC will not admit it!! I have seen one at least twice and my wife has seen a few herself. Always cool to know they are out there! Shawn
Shawn

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2013, 09:03:00 PM »
There is no reason to think they are not in the Midwest, here are a couple pics from a few years back. The MDC Mt. Lion response team couldn't make it out to look...

Still steaming when I found it.

Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2013, 09:19:00 PM »
I'm not sure how you get mountain lion out of that picture? I'm not saying they aren't in Iowa, but I'd bet good money they ain't in that picture. Nothing is right about it. Scale, body posture, tail. Even the head of the left one looks more like a dog than a cat?

Offline Ghost77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2013, 01:20:00 PM »
Buddy of mine lives at the foot of the Catskills. He couldn't het DEC to come out and look into it when he found a half eaten spike in the crook of a tree 20 feet up. And some obvious prints in the wet clay at the base.

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2013, 04:26:00 PM »
Which Catskills?  Africa?

If not, then someone lost their pet leopard.   :)

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2013, 08:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by kennym:
There is no reason to think they are not in the Midwest, here are a couple pics from a few years back. The MDC Mt. Lion response team couldn't make it out to look...

Couple questions for you Kenny

1. Which member of the Missouri Department Of Conservation's Mountain Lion Response did you contact?

2. What would you estimate the live weight of that deer to be

3.Do you have a picture of the animal just the way you found it?  

Daryl
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2013, 08:28:00 PM »
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2013, 08:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jason Kendall:
This picture was taken by my cousin yesterday right across the road from my deer woods and less than a mile from West Des Moines. Just to the right of them is my Mom's back yard. I will be leaving my stand a little before dark this coming fall    :D  

The DNR have confirmed the sighting and there will be a story on KCCI news tonight. I am a midwest hunter so I am not quite sure how I feel about big cats in my deer woods but I guess they were there first. I hope to see them myself this weekend even though I know it's not likely.
Looks like a couple mongrels to me

Daryl

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2013, 08:54:00 PM »
Pretty small deer, don't really know what it would weigh, never weigh pansized ones.

Actually called the agent, but I had his number in my phone and figured he would get em here if needed. He is a friend of mine BTW....

No pic as found, we skinned the rest of skin off , was a bite on back(shown with tape) and another on front of neck.  Top teeth 2 3/8" spread.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2013, 10:18:00 PM »
If I ever see one my days of going to and from my treestand in the dark are over!

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2013, 10:31:00 PM »
Iv been hearing about sightings here in NY for 40 yrs. My grandfather said he saw one sleeping on a big boulder behind where he kept his camper. This was probably 25 yrs ago. He said it was black with a log tail and was not that far up the steep hill from him. He said there was no mistaking it, and if my Grandfather said he saw one then you can bet that he did. My ex-brother in law was a DC officer and said there were no confirmed sightings. I didn't believe him.Iv' never seen or heard one, but that in no way doesn't mean their not here.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline moththerlode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2013, 01:24:00 PM »
A couple of years ago I had a state trapper out on a couple of my sheep that had been killed. Lion was my first suspected as we have a real problem with them here. He determined that it was canine due to the fur and blood strung about. He said lions are very efficient at killing and are very swift about it. Pretty much game over in an instant. I later found coyote tracks on a gopher pile. They had to of jumped the gate. A cat has no problem dragging a deer somewhere more secluded.
I have lost two dogs in the last 15 years to cats from around the house here. They are not fun nor cool to have around. Trust me.

Originally posted by kennym:

God,Country and Family ..Semper Fi

Valley Springs Ca.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2013, 02:55:00 PM »
Mountain Lions have moved into the Midwest, no doubt,  and honestly I don't see state Game and Fish agencies denying that fact.  

Since 1992 the Missouri Department of Conservation has confirmed 30+ cougars in Missouri. Of the 30+ confirmations, 6 were cats we could actually put our hands on and were all male specimens(2 road kills, 3 shot by humans and 1 cage-trapped). Perhaps females are better at avoiding cars, bullets and traps but I doubt it.  Young males are dispersing from saturated western populations to avoid being killed by dominant males whether they like hangin out with girls or not.  Will a female show up in the midwest somewhere?  It seems likely to me that one will at some point.  Nature has a way of making those things happen. It may be from a dispersal from another population or an escaped captive animal.  Who knows.  

As a member of the MDC's Mountain Lion Response Team I can assure you we look at 100s and 100s of pictures annually of tracks and animals which people claim are of or made by mountain lions. We investigate livestock and deer kills weekly to determine what did it.  A lot of man power and hours spent on what has become mountain lion mania in the midwest. I drove all the way to St Joseph once to look at a horse which had been killed by a dog which the horse owner and local animal control folks claimed was killed by a mountain lion.  Amongst the blood bath I found a puddle of bloody frothy vomit that contained a handful of scalloped potatoes that apparently had been ingested by the dog before going on the killing spree.  

I have looked at the picture at the top of this thread and for sure wouldn't  confirm a mountain lion based on what I see.  I cant tell what it is.

When I read the posts above it kinda saddens me to see Tradgang members responding in such a "mainstream" way with the undertows of distrust of government, mountain lion mania, and bogus claims of black panthers and deer up in trees.  Black panthers are not native to North America and are melanistic  phases of either leopards or jaquars.  Mountain lions dont pull deer up in trees, flood water and cheetahs do that.

Mountain lions are very predictable in how they kill and how they treat prey.  

Kenny, I wish I had gotten a chance to look at your deer when it was fresh.  Linn Co. is actually within my region.  I know the agents around there well and am anxious to hear what they thought of your pictures.  I can tell you that from the pictures you have posted, nothing really screams mountain lion to me. A bobcat could have easily dragged a deer that size for a long distance.  A bobcat would also explain the multiple puncture wounds you show.  You never mentioned where the animal was found or if it was or wasn't covered when you found it. All important factors in the equation. In the future call me directly at 573-823-5277 if you want the mountain lion response team there.

Game and Fish Agencies are filled with good honest people that go out of their way to assist you whenever they can.  They try to analyze and present the facts as best they can.  Some refuse to listen and would rather believe what they hear in the coffee shop.

Seems many people want to believe the place they hunt or hike or own is the wooliest, remotest, wildest  place remaining East of the Rocky Mountains and Pumas, Black Panthers, Honey bears, and even wolverines have existed there all along.  Sorry, in most cases, that's just not true.

Mudd, there are wild hogs in Missouri, but you'll have to take a break from pounding those bags in your back yard long enough to go hike some remote places down in the Ozarks to find them.  They arent gonna walk down Main St in Ashland and let you shoot at em.   ;)  Sorry couldnt resist Bud.

Trap

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©