3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Not another elk arrow weight question  (Read 322 times)

Offline EHK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Not another elk arrow weight question
« on: May 24, 2013, 09:58:00 AM »
I'm gearing up for my first elk hunt and have been putting a lot of thought into arrow selection.  I've read all the posts on here from some of you experienced elk hunters (thank you!) regarding arrow weight and it's crystal clear that a heavy arrow is desirable.  My question is:  How important is shaft diameter or should that not be a consideration?  I was thinking about building up some 2117s with as much weight up front as necessary to get them flying true, but would I be better off considering a 5/16 or 9/32 carbon instead?  I know carbon recovers quicker, may be more durable, etc.  I guess my question has more to do with penetration and shaft diameter.

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Not another elk arrow weight question
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 10:49:00 AM »
dont over think this. both will kill a elk. fletch you up a good strait shooting arrow with a sharp BH and go kill your elk!! good luck

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 11:11:00 AM »
Don't stress over diameter. I like skinniest so that's what I shoot. More elk have been killed with a wood arrow than may ever be killed with carbon.

Tune tune tune. Sharp sharp sharp and practice..... Well you get it.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 11:24:00 AM »
While it is true a skinny shaft will out penetrate a fat one I doubt it would show up under archery conditions. Personally I will continue to use 11/32 fir and cedar; penetration is more about shot placement than anything else. Have a great hunt!

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 11:25:00 AM »
Having, never shot or hunted or seen an eelk, I will throw in my two cents.

The more money you spend on new fancy gear for this elk hunt, the longer you'll have to save until the next hunt.

I think anything you choose will be fine. I shoot 23/64" Doug Fir, and I would have no reservation using them on anythign in NA .... with the appropriate bow obviously. I've also shot the ultra skinny carbons and they're cool too. I mainly stopped because they're more of a pain to pull from targets with my sausage fingers.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 12:13:00 PM »
While it is true a skinny shaft will out penetrate a fat one I doubt it would show up under archery conditions. Personally I will continue to use 11/32 fir and cedar; penetration is more about shot placement than anything else. Have a great hunt!

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 12:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by LittleBen:
Having, never shot or hunted or seen an eelk, I will throw in my two cents.

The more money you spend on new fancy gear for this elk hunt, the longer you'll have to save until the next hunt.

I think anything you choose will be fine. I shoot 23/64" Doug Fir, and I would have no reservation using them on anythign in NA .... with the appropriate bow obviously. I've also shot the ultra skinny carbons and they're cool too. I mainly stopped because they're more of a pain to pull from targets with my sausage fingers.
Man I've never seen an "eelk" either. Those would be hard to kill I bet...
   :laughing:

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 02:16:00 PM »
I'm glad you asked, been contemplating running surewood Douglas fir this fall as opposed to high foc carbons myself.  Both about 630 gr. Low 150s.  Gonna shoot both for the next month and go with whichever speaks to me.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 03:31:00 PM »
Ok on a serious note. Lol
The bow I'm shooting this year is a 50# recurve. Of which I'm probably pulling 48. The problem is the arrows that fly the best are 1535s and 3555s fly ok. But they are both just under 500 gr. in my opinion. Not adequate for elk. I do have some FMJ 500s but those are right at 500 gr. still not enough. So my thought was the same as yours. I just may try some Doug fir or cedar to get the extra 100 grains or so. And have thought about penetration issues. But with a good shot placement I don't think it would be too much of an issue.
And like Randy said. More elk have been killed with wood,
I would take advice from someone like him who has killed a lot of them

Offline EHK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 04:40:00 PM »
Anyone else care to weigh in?  I'm sure Ferret's advice is sound, but always curious to hear the advice of others.  Obviously weight matters.  Does diameter?

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 05:23:00 PM »
I know a LOT of elk hunters, traditional and otherwise, don't know of any of my trad bow shooting friends that shoot skinny arrows. No reason not too, but nobody worries about it.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 05:27:00 PM »
If the skinner arro gives you added confidence. Then all means shoot them.

The added confidence will always be a greater asset than the advantages one
gets from shooting a smaller arro.

Offline duncan idaho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2013, 11:59:00 AM »
Diameter is not as important as weight. For elk a 9.5 to 10G per inch arrow for your poundage bow will be best (IMHO)
" If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets".

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2013, 06:35:00 PM »
Anything that tunes good should get it done.  I shoot a 450grain ish (depending on the head) arrow out of my 55 lbs recurves.  I shoot it the best and never had a problem sinking it to the the fletch.

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2013, 06:55:00 PM »
Check out the new Beman Centershot arrow.    :coffee:
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©