3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Going squirrel hunting  (Read 342 times)

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
Going squirrel hunting
« on: May 25, 2013, 12:17:00 PM »
Haven't missed opening weekend in 5 years. Will be out this Sun as well. Looks like rain but I won't melt.

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Going squirrel hunting
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 12:36:00 PM »
Good luck

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 12:40:00 PM »
Hmmm..... A Sring "Tree Rat" season??? Never heard of that before, sounds like a great time!!!

Shoot straight!!! HAVE FUN!!!!!  :archer:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 01:49:00 PM »
almost forgot. Time for some permonome
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 03:13:00 PM »
Squirrel season is opening by you already?  I see there are baby squirrels out by us.  

Good luck!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline RedStag5728

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 03:43:00 PM »
Next Saturday (June 1st) is our first day of Spring tree rat season! Been shooting trad for 1 year as of April and have yet to kill anything. I'm going out on opening day (assuming I don't have any other plans that may come up by then) and spend all day out hunting them rascally rats! I wish the season included Sundays here but it's illegal     :knothead:  

So maybe I'll get my first trad kill from a squirrel. Also a good opportunity to try out my new camcorder I just got for graduation. Maybe I'll get a good film and share it!
Randy
CTA RedStag LB 64" ntn 57# @ 28"
Hickory SB (#2) 64" ntn 43# @ 28"
Hickory East Woodland SB 65# @ 27"
Darkside Laminated LB 50# @ 28"
Darkside Laminated LB 37# @ 28"

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 04:07:00 PM »
Squirrel hunting with a bow is a riot!  Enjoy.  Our season doesn't start until September.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 04:10:00 PM »
Hey Jakeemt,  What's your basic tactics for squirrel  hunting?  Thanks
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 06:32:00 PM »
Ive been practicing on squirrel size targets latley

I think the squirrel will be safe  :)
Slickhead

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 09:19:00 PM »
Yep squirrel season runs from the 3rd weekend in may till fed 15 in MO. They have a breeding season that begins in march and a second that begins in August. Recurve junkie this is my first bow hunt for squirrel so I can only advice you from a firearms perspective. However I used a single shot 20 gauge shotgun so range is not all that different. The first rule I have found to hunting tree rats is to travel lightly. Less is more. There are two basic tactics the spot and stalk or the ambush. Both are effective. Though stalking is most effective in the early season when it is easier to move quietly. Essential walk slowly down a game trail and stop frequently to listen and look for movements. When the trees are green you will often see and hear branches moing before you see a squirrel. Ambush methods are also very effective and require you to know your food sources. In the spring time squirrels eat fresh buds of of trees like cottonwood as well as maple seeds, mushrooms, and fruits esp mulberry. If you happen across a wild mulberry tree take carefull note as it will be swarming with squirrel when the berries ripen and guard you secret jealously.  If you are talking about fall hunting the hickories will fall first near the middle of September. By mid October they will have switched to acorns. I like to stalk in the spring and early fall and roam over large area's while I do this I make notes of ambush locations to use when the oak leaves are thick and crunchy. I should also add that the early bird gets the worm when it comes to grey squirrel who love dense hard woods early morning is most productive. Fox squirrel are bolder and a bit lazier they tend to rise later and stay out later into the afternoon and evening as rule of thumb. In my neck of the woods they prefer more open forest and especially like transitional areas near open fields and streams. I have yet to try a "mr squirrel" call but have found the bellows type to be rather in effective. I hope that answer your questions I am sorry of my response was somewhat rambling. Squirrel hunting is my absolute favorite . I tend to do most other hunting while out chasing bushy tails.

P.S. In the spring time and the dog days of summer a small soft cooler in your back back with a few coolie packs will keep your meat cool while you explore.

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2013, 10:49:00 AM »
Jake,   Thanks for the info, I'm just getting into squirrel hunting, new to bowhunting as well.  "Recurve Junkie".....Lol  Cheers
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2013, 11:39:00 AM »
Our season opens June 1st and runs until Feb 28th in Kansas. Going to try them with some dogs this year for the first time.

Don't know if I'll be able to bow hunt over them at first but after Deer season when the leaves come off look out. My job usually allows me Jan. and Feb. off.

We have tons of Squirrels to chase around here. Good luck to everyone. Just remember what goes up must come down. Unless it's stuck in the tree.

Bretto

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2013, 11:10:00 AM »
Nothing better on the grill than a young fox squirrel.  They seem to taste better when taken with a bow and arrow for some reason.

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2013, 11:20:00 AM »
In the spring and summer, the distress whistle works  wonderfully!  The adults, usually females, will be on you in seconds....  use a leafy branch and beat it on the ground while using the whistle to simulate a hawk/owl taking a young'un...  Works like a champ!

Have fun!
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2013, 12:19:00 PM »
I love to hunt squirrels with rimfire rifles. I need to give squirrel hunting with my recurves a try. I've killed them while deer hunting but never hunted squirrels on purpose with my bow.  

Yikes, if too much fun I'll have more shooting tool orphans!

We have an early June season as well -- Mulberry season we call it (squirrels love mulberry fruit if you can find them -- so do Carp in the rivers/streams.

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2013, 12:34:00 PM »
Thanks for the tip. I went out sun and had a blast. It was one of those days were they weren't moving much and not talking. We only heard one barker. I went out with a good friend who uses a 22 . He got a good shot and missed and I got a running shot and missed! So that means we got skunked! Oh well we had a blast shooting at stumps. He liked my bow so much he is thinking of getting one to go with His compound. He also decided to bring his compound out next time. We hunted from 0530 till 1400 and made a pot of coffee with lunch around 1100 . Saw deer, a black snake, a skink, and a ton of wood peckers. We saw red headed and pilated + robins, chickadees, and the solving jay. Broke 3 arrows in stumps too. Great day.

Offline T-Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2013, 12:40:00 PM »
Good Luck!    :bigsmyl:
William

JD Berry Valor 66” 45@28
Great Northern Bush Bow 62" 47@28"
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©