3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: POLL - Use a safety harness while climbing?  (Read 1421 times)

Offline aroflyte

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: POLL - Use a safety harness while climbing?
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2007, 11:07:00 PM »
ABSOLUTLEY! Seen and heard too many gruesome stories over the years as an NBEF instructor. plus, I'm tired of being sewn together. No more!

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2007, 11:19:00 PM »
I promise I will try not to become a statistic.

Here's a quote from a major outdoor publication:  

"Falls from treestands, usually by hunters not wearing a high quality safety harness, account for half of the serious hunting accidents and hunting fatalities. A large portion of those deaths or serious falls occurred while ascending or descending the tree.

Many hunters don't bother to wear the harness  because they don't know how to easily go up or down while safely attached to the tree or some other safety device."
Lon Scott

Offline ozarkcherrybow1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2007, 11:45:00 PM »
Nope, I don't use a safety harness while climbing up or down a ladder or scaffolding on my jobsite either. Always strap in while in the stand though. I must admit that the scariest part is the transfer from ladder to stand.

Offline countrygirl

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Charter Member
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2007, 11:47:00 PM »
I use the Fall Guy...Tom won't let me climb without it...I also use a Hunters Safety Vest.
"Gator n 'Dilla Killah"

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2007, 08:13:00 AM »
Deer & Deer Hunting published some studies they did many years back... it was a very high percentage (memory fails exact #) that it was transitioning from stand to whatever used to access height, when falls occur most.

They also did studies on how long various "systems" allowed a person to "hang".

Safety belts around your middle were only a minute or 2 till someone passed out from constriction of the diaphram.

Chest harnesses were better...

Full 5 point harnesses gave the longest time without injury or passing out... unless you whack yer coconut when you egress your stand. At least the SOP style 5point harness keeps you upright.

Once stand is set, I've occassionally climbed down without hooking up...but not a smart move. Usually when I drop something and want to quick retrieve it and get back in the stand quietly.  :o

Dumb is as dumb does...   :eek:    "[dntthnk]"
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2007, 09:29:00 AM »
I voted No on this, but would seriously like to change my ways....i do not have a lot of tree stand experience, but have climbed through rafters and balanced on beams for many years in the construction trades. I would love to find some Repelling gear that rock climbers and mountain climbers use for going up & espeacilly coming down those trees in the dark.....

If anyone is familiar with this type of gear please PM me....i think it would be a good investment......Kirk

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2007, 09:45:00 AM »
Kirkll:

Keep it simple and use one of the static lines and a prusic hitch systems being sold to hunters (thread in the last few days).  It is the "lite" version.

Inless you are seriously going to go and get training in rock climbing and the gear use, it presents more risk.  Improperly used, the equipment is likely more dangerous to you.
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2007, 11:30:00 AM »
I always wear a safety harness while in my stand but rarely wear one while climbing.

I just feel safer climbing if I don't have to let go of the ladder to do anything.

I know its wrong but its my honest answer
"Failure is an attitude, not an outcome."  -Harvey Mackay

:archer:               MikeD.

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2007, 12:06:00 PM »
I don't wear one climbing either.  But I do have enough steps to be able to climb above the platform and step down on it.  And there are always enough steps screwed into the tree to provide enough hand holds for an octipus.  Those extra steps hold my backpack, quiver, binos and what ever else I don't want to hold in my hand.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2007, 12:22:00 PM »
My first 15 years using tree stands I never even wore a belt. Then I started using one occasionally, then all the time. Now I don't climb trees any more.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2007, 12:23:00 PM »
I voted no too, but I know I prolly oughta.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Goodbye Shiner you were always a good dog.

Offline Chris Lantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2007, 01:54:00 PM »
Haven’t used one in the past but I had a bit of a scare last year getting into a stand on a wet day. Probably going to use one this year.

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2007, 02:01:00 PM »
I voted "no" also but at age 60 and counting, and after the "broadhead stabbing incident" last year me thinks I should be more careful.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline Dan Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2007, 02:10:00 PM »
Yes.

I hunted in tress for about 25 years without anything. Started looking into it to please the wife 6 or 7 years ago.

Shortly after I started looking I had a step pull out and I did a high speed slide down a tree praying I didn't catch another step onteh way down. Major clothes rips, a 10" gash in my thigh and lots of DARK bruises and got more serious.

I now use the SOP harness and safety rope ALL the time. My brother foillwed about year later. It is second nature now, does NOT hinder hunting at all, or time to get into the stand.

It also amazes both of us how we now feel "naked" and nervous if we spend any time in a stand not connected. (rope change overs, run up and down to grab something forgotten)  

I set stands with the SOP and a linesmen belt and then attach the full tree climbing rope. From there on out it is the SOP and climbing rope. Linesman belt for stand removal.

Offline DRR324

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2007, 04:16:00 PM »
I voted yes, I do use mine when hanging/taking down stands.  Mostly hunting out of a lone wolf stick and stand system, moving around a bit.  My "permanent" stands- have climbing sticks attached to the tree- and I don't use it to climb in or out when hunting those spots,
they have a lot of limbs- so I just climb....
Pittsley Predator Classic
53# @ 28"
Easton Axis FMJ Camo-400's w/150g RazorCaps

"Dad, know what I like most about deer hunting?  The adrenaline rush you get when you know your going to get a shot at one"- my son Tyler after his first miss..

Offline Rich LaBombard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2007, 05:12:00 PM »
I'm shocked that many are not using them.  My family is counting on me being around, and not having a search party find me dead or injured in the woods.
PETA people laugh when we get hurt or killed, I'd prefer not to give them something to laugh about.

Offline Stickbow98

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2007, 12:29:00 AM »
I HATE heights! Love shooting deer though, so I do hunt from treestands, but never without safety first in mind. When using a climber, my safety harness is attached the ENTIRE time. I'm old enough to remember the "Baker Slide"    :scared:   and still don't really trust those things!

When installing hang-ons, I use a lineman's belt w/ a 2nd one handy to go over any limbs so I'm always attached to the tree. Once the steps or sticks and stand are hung, before I come down I attach a SOP safety rope with the prussic knot. That way I'm perfectly safe even while climbing to/from the stand with hardly any inconvienence whatsoever.

I will not be a victim of my own hunt!    :thumbsup:

Be safe,

>>--Ron--<>
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2007, 08:51:00 PM »
Guys,
Sad to say I do not use one when I am in my Viper, feel safe due to rail all the way around me. I know that is not right though, and I should wear one. Here is the main reasons I do not wear one all the time.

1) Heavy, cumbersome, thanks to over zealous lawyers. Some of the harness parts could be used on cranes for crying out loud ! Nothing wrong with being safe and a little overkill, but sheesh !!!

2) The extra time hooking up and pushing a rope up the tree every morning.

3) The strap that is over your shoulder connecting you to the tree and the high back area of your SOP harness. I know the purpose is to keep you upright if you fall, BUT, ever try to shoot a bow on the same side of the tree as you are handed, ( i.e. Left side for a Lefty ) ??? It is always in the way no matter what ! I am a lefty and I cannot shoot directly behind or to the left side, especially if the shot is close to the tree due to being hindered by this strap.

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Steven Mullins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2007, 09:06:00 PM »
I don't but I should.  A few years ago, I found the loggy bayou climbing harness, which is a great system.  It's not bulky, cumbersome, and is the bomb as far as I'm concerned.   I usually use a lock on, and I don't think I'd get in the tree without the harness anymore....I'm also not as agile as I used to be!
"Every boy should have two things, a dog and a bow."

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2007, 04:34:00 AM »
I vited no and I have fallen out of a tree while climbing. How smart is that.  :knothead:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©