3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Things we learn while tradhunting for deer !  (Read 452 times)

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Things we learn while tradhunting for deer !
« on: May 27, 2013, 08:10:00 AM »
I thought and hope this can be a learning experiance for everyone by sharing some things we all have witnessed while sitting on stand or just out in God's great creation...
 I guess I'd better start and hope all that would like would also share what you have learned from just out hunting with traditional bows or just  watching deer survive...
 I was sitting in a treestand one afternoon over looking a field in the late afternoon and noticed about 7 deer running from a little marshy area,then across the entrance lane that was about 1/2 a mile in front of me near a holly orchard and a horse corral/fenced in area...
 As I noticed the deer breaking across in a hurry to get to the next farm and a line of ceder trees I noticed something the biggest mature doe did that just amazed me..
 She stayed behind all the smaller deer and let them get to the other side and she turned and ran back the direction she came from and crossed the big ditch and lane..
 Next thing I saw was that mature doe come back across and take a quick right and ran the fence line back and forth and doing a few circles then come running towards me and heading back across the lane and turning once again and back across the field...
 She looked back from where she first crossed the ditch and lane and then went on across the field to meet up with all the other smaller deer on the next farm..
 I then thought "I bet she has something trailing her " and to my surprise I was correct...
 Here came a Big red fox across the lane and ditch and went across the field and doing everything that doe did..
 He went up the fence line then back down and headed back the direction he came...
 I thought Wow I just saw a Doe outsmart a Fox and I took home something I will cherrish forever that I learned from a creature...  :campfire:

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Things we learn while tradhunting for deer !
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 10:37:00 AM »
The most important thing I figured out was that at best I am a part time hunter and they are all full time deer . It amazes me we shoot any of them at all sometimes , Fred
Greyfox54

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 11:15:00 AM »
As a general lesson for me, it would have to be 'patience'. It took 7 years before I connected with my first whitetail, and it had been 5 years before last season's doe. Still, I go into the woods each fall with hope.
Unadulterated truth is not pablum.

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 11:46:00 AM »
I have learned that I need to sit still.  Notice I said I NEED to, not that I do.  That is my biggest fault.  The less I move the more I see, and switching to a a real ghillie last year makes that more important.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 03:51:00 PM »
I learned a long time ago, just when you think you have got things figured out, something changes and you have to start fresh. But every time out should be a learning experience and if it's not ....your doing something wrong!! Even when you have success you can learn from that also!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 04:37:00 PM »
I wasn't bow hunting, but... When I was about 13 I had a doe cross a trail I was watching. Since I didn't get a shot I thought I'd head her off to the left and hopefully bet a chance. After getting into position, I watched the doe enter a fallen tree top where she rolled around for several moments.  She kicked sticks, limbs, and leaves and rolled back and forth on her back several times.  After all the commotion she sauntered off leisurely without noticing me watching from around 30 yards away.  About 15 minutes later a mob of beagles came along her back trail and spent over 30 minutes in and around the tree top!

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 04:49:00 PM »
We have upland game and bow hunting at same time and this set up something that I saw/ I spotted a group of deer and all I could see was does but thought I would put a sneak on them and see if a buck or two was hanging around. Many times the bucks around here will stay with the does into their second year and those young bucks are some real fine eating material.
Anyway I got in real close without being spotted ,. This was a feat in itself with multiple eyes watching and somehow there always seems to be one you don't see. But I got in there to about 20 yards .
At that time someone shot a bird or at a bird up on the ridgeline and every deer there started shaking. They were physically moved by that shot. I mean it really scared them and they got out of Dodge./ Up until that point I had no idea the effect a gunshot could have on them.
I now realize just how stupid it is for gun hunters to be sighting their rifles in anywhere close to where they are going to hunt and yet I see that all the time.

God bless , Steve

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 07:23:00 PM »
Huntng with trditional equipemt has many advantages for me. I see lots of things in the woods I never saw before because I was always too intent on killing a deer. Just enjoying the time in the woods with no real expectations of having to mess with a bloody animal. It is great, no pressure to shoot anything, just an enjoyable outing. I guess this is what they call comming full circle, after bowhunting for 50 yrs plus.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 08:08:00 PM »
It was in 1970 or 1971. I was 16 or 17. I think I was hunting with a Grizzly or a B Mag in those days. I was in a tree, in the summer about 10 yards from a groundhog hole. I was waiting for the hog to come out.

He came out but I didn't shoot. I watched him climb about 8 feet up a tree on to a limb. I had seen that before. However then the hog came down and backed his butt into the hill a bit, did something and turned around and covered it up!  Just like a cat.

I wondered why I had never seen ground hog doo in all the times I had hunted them.

I forgot to shoot.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 09:10:00 PM »
The ONE thing that stands out in my mind... Was told to me years ago, by my good friend & fellow Tradganger, Joe Skipp.....

"If you want to kill deer, ya gotta put wood in the air!!!"

We spend countless hours, practiceing, shooting 3-D, etc. Trying to learn to, and perfect, our "instinctive" shooting skills. Then, when the moment of truth arrives... We second guess ourselves!!! Is it in range? Too far? Uphill? Downhill? Should I shoot high? Low? Should I just pass all together???

If we have practiced, and are any kind of a decent shot... Our BRAIN knows what to do!!! When the "green light" blinks, just take your shot.....

Put the wood in the air, and let the arrow do it's job!!!!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 09:37:00 PM »
I know now after 5 yrs.  I was lucky when I shot my first and only deer to date.  I don't know as much as I think I do and I'm not that good of a hunter, yet...

-Jeremy   :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 10:00:00 PM »
Several years ago I had a doe pass just out of range. She continued on up the hill but stopped when she could see over the knoll. She stood there looking but never moving for quite a while before continuing on her way. If any one had been on the other side of that hill she would have had to have saw them of they had moved at all.
 Also sometimes when finding a deer bed it is interesting to think about why the deer chose that spot. Sometimes it is not obvious why they chose that spot.But, other times it seems
Obvious why they did choose that spot.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2013, 10:59:00 PM »
I am always learning in the deer woods.  The reoccurring theme is there are more things that can "ruin" a hunt than can make it go right.  Often times it goes un noticed, other times it is as simple as another deer coming in and taking the deer thats headed for you away.

I also learned that no amount of scent away, rubber boots and deer pee on your boot will keep a big buck from smelling where you just walked in, no matter how bad he is looking for a doe or buck fight.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2013, 11:18:00 PM »
It seems I learn something every single time I go in the woods to hunt deer. The most important thing is to always play the wind! No matter how much scent elimination(which is very important still)you do to prepare the wind can still make or break you. It's the only mistake you can't get away with!
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2013, 11:33:00 PM »
We learn every year,we can never predict what they are going to do that's what makes it fun.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2013, 12:26:00 AM »
Where do i start. I could wright a book on all Iv' learned over the years about Dear hunting. I say Deer hunting, because a good portion of it has been with guns. But whether with bow or gun you still learn and experience new things on almost every hunt.Deer, not unlike a lot of animals with some degree of intellegence, can be smart or dumb, motivated or lazy, inquizative or sly and shy. The list go's on, and so my best advice is to learn as much as you can about your quarry and study them. Read all you can and listen to others when they have something to say. Just remember Deer are like people, they all have differing personalities and preferences. Some Bucks you can pattern, some are almost impossible to pattern. And food, weather, breeding can change things totally, and  over night.Don't underestimate the importance of scent control.By that, I mean where and how you approach your hunting area, what and how you wear your close, and how and what you use to eliminate your scent and the unnatural odors you may otherwise carry afield.Sorry this is so long winded, but this is a subject Deer to my heart. Pun intended.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2013, 07:10:00 AM »
What I'd like to know is the answer to the question;

Where'd that one come from?

You know, you're on stand, you scan an area, look away "for a few seconds" and when you look back there's a deer well out from any cover.

Where'd that one come from?
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2013, 10:52:00 AM »
Don't make any sound if a deer is in bow range. I won't bleat to stop a walker ever again.  A deer that is alerted to your location will jump the string every time.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Timberking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2013, 11:51:00 AM »
I was sitting in a tree stand quite a few years ago on the edge of some thick stuff. In front of me was a big hardwood flat and beyond that a steep hardwood ridge. The top of the ridge was maybe 150 yards away, I could hear "deer steps" every now and then from the direction of the ridge when the wind was down. Anyway, finally I see a real nice 8 pointer making his way across the top of the ridge. The wind was in my face blowing from the ridge top across the valley flat to me. The buck made his way just over the lip of the ridge and bedded down so that he could see the entire valley flat and smell everything behind him. Classic "big buck" actions.
Timberking }}}——————>

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2013, 05:54:00 PM »
Something I learned some...ok a long time ago is I learned how to lie to the deer.

I noticed that if I had my mind set on killing something,(deer included) they seemed to sense it and start to get nervous and twitchy.

I decided to give something a try... I started thinking to myself..... today I'm not going to kill anything.... I repeated it to myself over and over.... when the deer hit the trail headed my way just browsing along not one of them became nervous.

Just as the lead deer hit my kill spot... I thought... "I LIED" and sent my arrow clean though it. She twitched her skin as if to shrug off a biting fly, stood there a few seconds then took 3 steps forward and fell over dead as a hammer....lol

I swear that deer never knew she had been shot.

It has been working for me ever since at keeping animals calm.

PS: This is a little off topic but I've been looking at some hunting clothing that is supposed to block your body's energy from radiating out, working sort of like the glass in the microwave door. You can see in but it doesn't allow the microwaves to pass out through the window.
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©