3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Things we learn while tradhunting for deer !  (Read 453 times)

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Things we learn while tradhunting for deer !
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2013, 07:13:00 PM »
Deer like to eat cigarettes and human pee doesn't bother them much.

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2013, 07:45:00 PM »
Thanks for all the interesting stories guys, amazing!
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Online soap creek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2013, 08:51:00 PM »
I've learned how you approach and leave your stand is almost as important as where you put it.
Never hunt a stand if the wind is'nt right.
I've learned not to call or rattle if the deer is headed your way.
As mentioned before I don't make noises to stop the deer for a shot. Most all the deer I've ever shot have been walking. I don't want them alert or tense. Seems to work for me.
(Rom. 10:13)

Offline captain caveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2013, 09:36:00 AM »
Deer do look up.
And prey seem to key in on movement.  
I've stood within 10 ft of deer in blue jeans and flannel next to a stump and they had no idea I was there until I moved slightly.  Was in off season while scouting.  I think there is something to that not letting them know you are hunting them.  Thought might be better off going into stand early and move fast and carelessly like I'm just moving through the area may be more effective than sneaking into tree stand.  Good topic
One final tip you can get poison ivy from the vine in middle of winter. Maybe I can save a fellow tradganger some misery

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2013, 11:38:00 AM »
No matter how much time you have spent practicing, prepping, overthinking your hunting spot and taking precautions there is atleast 1 (if not a bunch more) guys who take the hunt less serious and will show you all the disrespect in the world.  If you don't want to have this problem, get as far away from people as possible.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2013, 12:55:00 PM »
Good storys fella's and here is another thing I have learned about watching a doe ..
I was on stand and noticed this doe that was working her way out of some holly trees to an open bottom near a stream ...You know the type of terrain coming off a small hill and loaded with briers,holly and trails scattered into a bottom..
Well I was located in a tree at that bottom facing the hillside and holly's when I cought movement under those holly's and I could make out a doe..
She slowly stepped out and kept watching her back and twitching her tail like telling whatever was behind her that all is clear..
Then as she made her way out I noticed a smaller dear comeing out and the Mature doe looked back again..
 I then thought is there another?
Then as the sun was at my backside and shining into the hollys I noticed a quick glimps of something throwing off a soft glare and as I studied it hard I could make out a Big buck..
 The buck stood in those holly's for what seemed to be hours and as the doe started to move to her left the buck stepped out and I now have that 11 point on my wall....
Just by watching a doe's body language has tought me more about hunting in my years in the field and I have learned to respect a doe and how she can tell you if she's calm, nervous ,or being chased by something...
The doe is a remarkable creature...

Offline rice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2013, 02:38:00 PM »
There is no chicken fried steak that tastes as good as one made with a 2 blade broadhead and stickbow of my choice. Of course the wifes little touches make it special too!

C.K.Rice
We do not stop playing because we are old. We grow old because we stop playing.

Offline Wolfshead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2013, 01:20:00 PM »
This is great great stuff and I know that there is more out there!
Help a Greenhorn out and add some more!! I am getting so much out of all your knowledge and experience
Thanks - back to the top....
Bama Expediton Hunter Hybrid Longbow
58", 52# @ 27"
Bama Hunter Longbow
64", 45# @ 27"
"You only need sit still long enough, in some attractive spot in the woods, that all it's inhabitants may exhibit themselves to you by turns"
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2013, 02:22:00 PM »
When scouting a new area, or hunting a new area for the first time, I look for pinch points.Look for places that force deer to travel within a narrow band of land. For instance, between an open field and large pond. That spot of advantage may be a low spot or break in a fence line. An area of thick fauna in an otherwise open area of woods. A natural funnel such as in hilly terrain where two or more drainages meet. A bench on an otherwise steep hillside. Where two or more hedgerows intersect, the more the better, especially where they intersect a wood lot. And these are all better if the deer want to get from  point A to point B. Between food and bedding, Searching for hot Does, alternative escape routs. Also look for secluded water  sources during hot temps. Overgrown orchards, and the list go's on.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline Cwilder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2013, 12:19:00 AM »
Last year was was first year really hunting with my recurve. I learned fast that stand position was very important.
I love Bow Hunting

Offline bowhuntingrn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2013, 01:34:00 AM »
Back in the late 80's, it was my first year bowhunting (I have to confess that bow had training wheels) and I had been hunting from a borrowed homemade climbing stand. The friend I had borrowed it from needed it back for a trip he was taking, so out I go to build a natural ground blind. I semi  still hunted my way in just after sunrise and after an hour or so reached the area I wanted to build my blind. After an hour or more of dragging up broken branches and other various materials it was done. I was sweating and a bit tired so I decided to take a little break before heading back to the house (only about a 30 minute drive) to clean up prior to the evening hunt. I think I was 2 crackers into my package of peanut butter and cheese crackers and about a third of a way done with my 20oz coke, not even thinking about the noise I'm making when I hear a noise directly in front of me (the direction from which I had walked in from). I look up to see two does about 25 yards out looking straight at me. I froze and eventually they fed off out of sight. All I can figure is they were curious about all the racket I had been making in their living room.
"The first 40 years of childhood are always the hardest"

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2013, 08:40:00 AM »
Where I hunt is out my front or back door. These areas are large tracks of several hundred acres of timbered forest. This situation makes it difficult to pinpoint where Deer will travel especially during the early season. Food is everywhere and bedding areas are non defined and inconsistent.
   To waylay this situation I set up observation tree stands. These stands are set up in areas where I suspect a Buck or Bucks will travel or stage. It's the bucks I'm after, and at this time of year their travels can be quite different from the Does. My purpose at first is to scout the area by setting up a tree stand in one of these  areas to simply watch for bucks, and to pattern their travel spots (area )or trail(s). Many times this has payed off, as I can then determine exactly WHERE and HOW I can ambush the buck. These spots are where more than one sighting or a pattern exists and is truly the hunting aspect of the season. This becomes an ongoing process as the season reaches the rut and post rut. This process takes time but can really pay off for the big woods hunter.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline Jeff Hren-Renegade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2013, 01:57:00 PM »
Didn't do enough home work one time. set up in a blow down top. Sat & watched 3 differn't bucks cross just outside my range. Its HOW they Crossed that tought me the lesson. the first buck was a nice 6 pnt he went up the trail, a few minutes went by & a Real nice 8pnt went up the trail. ten minutes later the BIG 12 pnt Came out & went up the trail.
 Didn't relise that the deer use decoys too. you learn something new sometimes even though the set up was off it was a Very good Hunt!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©