3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Memorial Day: Archers Remembered ** All Remembered  (Read 158 times)

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Memorial Day: Archers Remembered ** All Remembered
« on: May 27, 2013, 09:39:00 AM »
I have wondered many times how many of our fallen Armed Forces who died while serving were archers at heart and left their homes to serve, looking forward to the day when they could return to the woods with bow in hand, but never made it back.

During WWI Art Young and Saxton Pope were in their active years. Ishi was in the minds of some. I'm sure some bowhunters never got to follow the adventures of Pope and Young.

WWII came along and many young men, and women, left their homes never to return. Scenes of The Adventures of Robinhood were still in their minds and Howard Hill's legend was building. Yet they never to loosed another arrow.

Korea and Vietnam were the same, however I have seen some writing of the use of bows in Vietnam. Ben Pearson and Fred Bear were in their prime, but still, archers never returned home.

And since those wars we've had several conflicts/wars where our military have not returned home to enjoy their hobbies and dreams.

Let's remember the fallen, all of them. We have members here on TradGang that have lost loved ones, or friends, to battles and wars.

If you know of a fallen service member who may have been an archer/bowhunter and care to share a small tribute, please post up. Or if you care to share a tribute to any fallen military we'd love to read your post.

To Capt. Andrew Michael Pedersen-Keel, 28, of Southern Pines, NC, who lived not far from  7 Lakes Longbows and Mike Ballenger. Makes me wonder if he could have been looking forward to getting home to shoot one of Mike's or any maker's bow. He was killed in March. He was originally from Connecticut.

We must keep their memories alive, lest we forget.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Memorial Day: Archers Remembered ** All Remembered
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 10:35:00 AM »
Thank you Bud for starting this thread.

We owe so much to all those who have sacrificed so much so we can live in freedom.

Freedom has been paid for with the highest price that can ever be paid by many.

Freedom continues to be paid for by our men and women of all the branches of service.

Freedom is all that free when you see the costs.

God bless, Mudd (Vietnam 69-70)
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 11:48:00 PM »
The blessings of God be upon them and the families they left behind
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 07:13:00 AM »
Thanks for this post Bud.  On the flip side, let's pay tribute as well to those who served and came home to further the sport of bowhunting and traditional archery in general.  One name that comes to mind is Charlie Lamb.  God Bless y'all!
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline mbugland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 07:41:00 AM »
Truly appreciate that line of thought... for many of the recent conflicts those returning to may hidden demons can only think of getting back in the woods. Many hunters that have taken a time out to hunt humans, and be hunted by them, aren't all that excited to be back in the woods with a bunch of gun toting yahoos. Bowhunting has been the only thing on my mind since returning. This year will be my first year in the woods with a bow, and first time hunting away from home.
I spent the weekend on a new course. Not remembering those lost, but those we continue to lose. Those that are physically with us today, but lost part of themselves somewhere along the way. The brothers and sisters in arms lost not to an enemies bullet, but their own. The families destroyed by the feelings their Soldier will never be able to explain. Many remain in my daily thoughts and prayers, I lost more brothers in Arms in the past five years at their own hand, than that of the enemy. I continue to pray that it will be many years 'Till we all meet again at Fiddler's Green. My time in the woods is just another time to reflect on that. My dad had told me over the weekend on this very topic when he came back from Vietnam they said "Not everyone who lost their life in Vietnam died there. Not everyone who came home from Vietnam ever left there." I guess it truly does apply to ALL wars. I thank all that have served and bare witness to a reality that most do not want to understand. But I am truly grateful for those that walked the path before us and are doing all they can to keep others on a clearer path. I have to believe that the Veteran Hunting, fishing, and outdoor programs are truly saving lives.. getting warriors closer to God by taken them away from the chaos of the world around us.
Thank you for the thread and God Bless everyone of you.
Shootz!

Offline Duker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 11:01:00 AM »
GREAT post Bud and well said mbugland  :thumbsup:  My thoughts and prayers to all that served and to those that are still serving for are freedom  :pray:    :pray:    :pray:

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 05:25:00 PM »
My wife's uncle was a PT boat crewman in the Pacific in WWII. His boat got shot up. He alone survived. He has never spoken about it and likely will never speak of it and will carry those demons to his grave. I work with many vets who, in law enforcement, deal with their own demons but courageously face the daily tasks an officer faces. One task at a time. One day at a time.

You're right, not all losses are directly combat related and occur long after separation from military service. Excellent points and post mbugland. Excellent post.

USAF 83-88
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©