3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Backyard practice  (Read 686 times)

Offline rockkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Backyard practice
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2013, 05:21:00 PM »
I live against national forest,the next rd to the north is 50 -60 miles as the crow guys.Lots of area to shoot.  :archer2:

Online Dry Creek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2013, 05:30:00 PM »
I grew up in town and moved to the country when I was 22. Been here for the last 20 years and have no intentions on moving back to town.
58" Bear Super Grizzly  45@28
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw 45@30

Offline Phrogdrvr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2013, 05:43:00 PM »
Hah manitou1, I just got in from peeing in the back yard when I read your post.  

I walk out the door and shoot my bow every day.  Come fall, I walk out the door and hunt.

And I thank God for being able to do so.

Tom

Offline DamselflyFarm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2013, 06:09:00 PM »
I have acres to shoot on plus a hay loft range for winter.
Take care,
Jeff

Online Dry Creek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2013, 07:03:00 PM »
I grew up in town and moved to the country when I was 22. Been here for the last 20 years and have no intentions on moving back to town.
58" Bear Super Grizzly  45@28
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw 45@30

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2013, 07:42:00 AM »
i"m fortunate to have 17 acres and five of that is woods. I used to hunt it a little, but there are better places.
So last year, having grandkids and other interested teenag archers, I took the skidloader, made some trails in the woods, bermed up some dirt and
set 7 3D targets. We start with a bit of close up big bag practice, then go have fun on the trails.
It's a good use of this little piece of woods, the kids (and sometimes their parents) love it.
I really would have to think twice about moving back to town again, although I did so for more than 20 years.
Being able to shoot like this every day would be one of the toughest things to give up for me.
Irv Eichorst
 www.truesouthadventures.com
Irv Eichorst

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2013, 07:52:00 AM »
I shoot in my tiny backyard in Miami.They cram houses together here.Being south Florida, there are no basements, unfortunately.
I can get 10 yards corner to corner, which just happens to be hog range anyway. Our next house will definitely have a real backyard.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2013, 08:53:00 AM »
I have a target set up all year in the back yard, which is only defined as the area that is mowed and no trees are growing. I can head out and stump or hunt from here.  Just wish there were more deer in my neck of the woods, plenty of stumps though.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Online Surffever

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2013, 11:12:00 AM »
I bought this place last year because of it's location.  I am surrounded by a cattle ranch and beyond that is timber and natl. forest.  I have several different shooting lanes set up and a big stack of straw bales for doing blind bale work.  Lanes for straight and angled shots, uphill and down.  Because that's what hunting is like here in the coastal range.

Offline duncan idaho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2013, 11:23:00 AM »
You can always shoot inside, either down the hall or across a room. work on form and keep the muscles tuned.
" If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets".

Offline Timberking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2013, 11:24:00 AM »
We live on 20 acres and my range is roughly 20 yards from the back door. Deer and Turkey are routinely seen from the kitchen window. I've never lived "in town" and pray to God I never will. It's roughly 30 miles to the nearest Walmart....  :)
Timberking }}}——————>

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2013, 11:36:00 AM »
Even though I'm not supposed to, I shoot in my backyard, I do take all the precautions.

this is at about 15 yds.

That is a double thick stack of wood behind the piece of wood fence.

P.S. I've cleaned it up a bit since this picture was taken, don't want the wife to through me out    :scared:
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2013, 12:05:00 PM »
We live on 250 acres here with the nearest neighbour about 200 yards away at the end of our lane.
Behind the barn, I have 4 bag targets set up from 0-45 yards. One at the bottom of a steep bank for the "tree stand" effect.
Stumping and hunting on that 250 acres.
Basement and barn range from 0-15 yards.
Really feel for you guys/gals with restrictions.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2013, 12:12:00 PM »

View of my side yard from my front porch. About 70 to 80  yrds. to the back there. I set up my bag target and shoot almost every day. I also own 73 acres of wild land behind the house, were I can stump shoot and hunt.I feel very fortunate to own this land and property. I am the 6th generation to own what is left of the original 125 acre farm.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2013, 12:12:00 PM »
As I host the county 4H archery program at my house I have a FITA range on the south side and a 3D range on the north side for practicing.
  :)

Offline xjojox

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2013, 01:37:00 PM »
Not a problem. Only 3 acres but still plenty of room for shooting.  BBQ's have turned into bowfests since my bowhunter buddies have hooked me on this stuff.

I'm Italian, I can cook it.

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2013, 02:02:00 PM »
I can shoot in my back yard in suburbs....on back fenses with swamp behind me...can get up to 25 yards for shots if needed.  Miss having lots of area to shoot as my shooting skill went down the past few years so starting over with new shooting style.  needless to say the wooden fence has a few spots and cracks from getting whacked by heavy arrows in her. LOL
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline jebeckjr

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2013, 05:47:00 PM »
I live in a row home in northeast Philadelphia, and regularly shoot at home.  I have bag and foam targets in the backyard, and can shoot 15 yards easily (20 if I stay inside and shoot out the patio door).  I'm fortunate being one of the few homes in the city that backs up to a stand of woods and a creek running through it.  I just had to firm up my backstop for safety sake.  

If I go out the front and put the target in the garage, I can get 30 yards from the end of the driveway into the garage.  Any further than that, and I really shouldn't be shooting that far anyway.  99% of my time is spent in the backyard anyway.
>>>----TGMM Family of the Bow----->

Offline misfire

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2013, 08:43:00 AM »
I am lucky enough to have a backyard where I can shoot out to about 30 yds. My backstop sorta looks like the one njloco has. I had a small apartment proir to this. It had a nice backyard so I asked the owner if I could put out a small target in the back. Though she did not say no, from her reaction it was obviuos she didn't like the idea so I would travel to the club to shoot. I am much happier now.
Mark

"The shortest distance from the earth to your mouth is the best." ~Wendell Berry~

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2013, 11:58:00 AM »
I'm fortunate enough to have a few acres set aside for a 3-D range. I picked up alot of targets from yardsales,C.L.,archery clubs,etc. It is a work in progress. I am going to get a couple more new targets this summer. Here it is,rat'

It is alot of fun. I shoot daily,and am able to vary yardage,and angles from the way it is set up. I have 2 treestand senarios as well. rat'
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©