3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Which Compass  (Read 719 times)

Offline Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
Which Compass
« on: August 29, 2007, 04:12:00 PM »
Would like some advise on what type of compass to get and why, be it map or lansatic.  I understand the basic use of one, but am lacking in actual hands on practice, but intend to change that.  So I am looking to get a good compass that I can rely on to work.  So if you want to recommend some specific models that are good, that would be great too!

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Which Compass
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 04:28:00 PM »
There's lots of good compasses out there. It really depends on how much you want to spend. I have a Silva Ranger that I bought back in my serious canoecamping days. Now I have a smaller Silva that I carry in my backpack. 99% of the time I'm using my pin-on compass, the "little ball" kind, that stays right on my backpack strap. That usually keeps me headed in the right direction.
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 06:06:00 PM »
I've used silva compases in the past but am currently using a Brunton map compass that has the adjustable declination for easier map use.  

This is from their website:

3.9”x2.5”x0.8”
3 oz
Declination adjustable
2° graduations
Luminous points
Protective cover with sighting mirror
Clinometer
1:24k, 1:25k & 1:50k meter scales

Works pretty well for me. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 06:20:00 PM »
I still have my ORIGINAL Boy Scouts of America Compass. Been working great for around 40 years or so.I beleive it's a Silva.

Offline Sawtooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 06:30:00 PM »
Brunton 54LU.  It's a baseplate compass.

A wise investment.  Best one I've ever used.

4.9"x2.4"x.6"
1.4 oz.
1° graduations
Direct sighting compass
1:25k, 1:63.36k, 1:50km scales
Luminous points
Map magnifier
Lanyard
"Me got no house; me all time moving; light fire, make tent, sleep; all time go hunt, how have house?"

--Dersu Uzala
  Sihote'-Alin Range, Ussuria,  

Offline Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 07:07:00 PM »
Silva 'original BSA' box and instruction paper, 40 plus yrs old. Only compass I've ever had and its what I still use

Rusty
"Mystic rhythms,Under northern lights or the African sun,Primitive things stir the hearts of everyone"

Offline Mike Orton

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 08:05:00 PM »
Ask what you want to do with a compass.

Do you want to navigate by Topo map and compass?
Want to see it at night w/ out a flashlight?
Want to see individual compass degrees for precise travel?

Want it rugged?

Then you want a Cammenga Lensatic compass.  What our military used before there was GPS.  I promise, you will not be disappointed.  
   http://www.cammenga.com/  

The only compass I know of with radioactive light generating tritium dial to see at night.  Stout navigation equipment, not the yuppie kind of girlscout compass sold in the big box stores.

:wavey:    

Thing is though there's more to land navigation than buying a good compass.  Navigation by map and compass is becoming a lost skill.  I know of almost noone anymore who knows the length of his stride or counts his steps or keeps track of those steps w/ beads on a string.

Land navigation over vast tracks of land, like out west or the far north is much different than hunting whitetails out in the lower forty where you plan to be back in time for dinner.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 08:15:00 PM »
i have a silva system type 7 allways in my first aid kit. its a good compass direction finding with the silva system is easy as pie. before ya start on ya way place the compass on ya map with the baseplate edge connecting where you are and were ya want to go. then turn the compass dial until the N points to the magnetic North on the map. then hold the compass level in front of you with the direction of travel arrow pointing streight ahead. then turn ya body until the red  neddle is directly over the orienting arrow pointing to the N on the dial. the direction arrow now points to your destination. look up sight on a land mark and walk to it. keep doing this until you reach your destination. to find ya way back simply point the direction arrow toward ya an backtrack. easy as pie   :thumbsup:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Dr. Ed Ashby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 08:28:00 PM »
I'll second what Mike said. Been using one (the same one) most of my life. It's been all over the world ... and I still found my way home! Hands down, its the best. I've only been using a GPS a few years, and they were great in Africa for marking a downed animal's location, returning to the vehicle and driving back to where the animal could be loaded up, but ... if my life depends on it, I'd rather have on my compass!

Ed   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007, 08:54:00 PM »
First, I agree with VTer.  Get one of the pin on ball ones and keep it on your pack or bino strap.  That just helps keep you aware at all times you general direction - keeps you oriented - especially helpful on overcast days.  Easy to lose your sense of direction.  I like the baseplate type Silva for a good compass at a decent price for map work.  Or try the lensatic types to see what works for you.  But the pin on for sure...but don't pin it on your bow arm side - could catch the string.

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2007, 09:21:00 PM »
Chris,

I have a Pyser SGI compass from England.  Generally referred to as a British marching compass, it is a lensatic compass with tritium dials (fully useful night or day) and is one of the standards by which most other compass's are judged.  Refer to the link below for a much better discussion:

http://kifaru.net/compass1.htm

Have a successful season this year, and give Brier a hug for a dad whose baby girl is now all grown up!
John

Offline Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2007, 09:48:00 PM »
Will do John!!  Hope you have a good season!
Chris

Offline Woodduck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2007, 09:59:00 PM »
Mike, thanks, that CAMMENGA TRITIUM WRIST COMPASS needs to come to NC.

Also enjoyed your link, John.  :thumbsup:
Happy trails....   ('till we meet again, Dale Evans Rogers)
>>>--a kindred spirit--->     (got that from Fred Anderson)

North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Online TaterHill Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2007, 11:57:00 PM »
Cammenga.  Can't beat one.
Jeff

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2007, 08:34:00 AM »
I have a lensatic in my pocket, a Silva in my pack or map pocket, a globe style pin-on on the front of my coat/jacket/shirt, and a zipper pull one on the zipper of my pack.  That way when the first one lies about where north is I can verify it with the other three.  You all ever had a compass lie to you when you positively knew north was "thataway"?  :)
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 6 POINT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2007, 10:17:00 AM »
I have had 3 compasses reverse polarity on me getting me lost preety well all 3 times. Kept buying more expensive compasses till I read the INSTRUCTIONS!!!!! I had forgot that my money clip used a magnet to hold it together.Money clip and compass occupied the same pocket.  Money clip now resides in unnamed canyon and my compass the last new one, continues to work correctly and I'm not getting lost any more. Frank

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2007, 10:28:00 AM »
just a quick word of caution about those cheap little ball ones that are sold.  I had one that the "key" ckip caused field errors in the reading.  Took that off and hung it wath some parachute cord, and all was better.

You do get what you pay for.....

Want a simple, small, yet durable one, check out the Marble (spelling?) - sold through 3-R - a sponsor here.  Want more, there are some great ones mentioned here.

Just having one isn't enough.  Learn to use it.
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2007, 10:47:00 AM »
Even when I was in the service I kept my issue lensatic in the rucksack and used a basic Silva for orienteering (even used it orienteering in the Empire State Games years ago).

You also need a map of the area you're in and a protractor.

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2007, 11:52:00 AM »
I use a Silva, unless heading way back in, then the old military lensatic. It's a little slower, but more precise. You can take a bearing on an exact degree and sight on a distant object at the same time.
As a side note:
All my armguards and hunting quivers have a good quality small compass attached. I repeat: good quality.  The little cheapies will bind and freeze up in cold weather.
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline Brushcop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2007, 12:33:00 PM »
Good to see some real military lensatic compass users! Too many cheap copycats out there. Good to see others using quality equipment like Rangers and the like.

Mike, do you have a source on military grid maps? I have a source in San Antonio, TX for topos which I make do with but I would appreciate your input, could be a new thread!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©