3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Which Compass  (Read 720 times)

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Which Compass
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2007, 08:37:00 AM »
I have done alot of Land Navigation both in the Marine Corps and out.  For the money, a military Lensatic compass is worth it.  I know price is alot higher (70.00), but will last your lifetime.

Offline Mike Orton

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2007, 09:01:00 AM »
This Trad Gang never ceases to amaze me.  I am always learning stuff here....John Havard just taught me that The Brits make a more accurate version of my Cammenga compass.  I never knew...not that I'll run out an Buy a Marching compass, but the knowledge is power.  Thanks John.

Ron, the best source I know of for topos is the US Government's US Geological Survey maps.  I usually order them out of Denver.  Start out by requesting a grid map of the state you're interested in, then identify which sheet you need from the grid.  Order the individual sheets by name based upon the state grid map.   I have a phone number (rolodex at work, sorry) for the good folks in Denver.  You''ll want to speak directly with the clerks and tell them you want a Mil Grid map.  They offer the maps both ways as civilian and military versions.  Of course the 7 1/2 minute maps offer the best compromise between perspective and detail.  Although they are paper the quality of detail seems best w/ the gov maps over the commercially made plastic maps.  I'll usually waterproof my maps with Aqua seal before leaving home.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2007, 03:35:00 PM »
GPS almost led my unit into a platoon of Iraqi tanks during desert storm. Oil well smoke had visibility to about 100 yards. Good thing another Marine was keeping track of his "pace count" via the odometer in his vehicle and our direction with a lensatic compass.

He had to argue with the whizkid Sgt. running the gps that we had gone far enough. It was then that the Iraqi tanks started blowing up about 1000 meters ahead of us courtesy of our own tankers who could see them in their thermal sights.

Land navigation skills combined with a good compass CAN save your life. No batteries to run down either LOL!
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©