3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Springfield MO Bass Pro Shops Archery Hall of Fame. Anyone else been?  (Read 279 times)

Offline Arkansas Osage

• Trad Bowhunter
It was pretty cool, all the different plaques on the wall listing each member of the hall of fame, their contributions to the sport of archery and bowhunting. The cases of items and memorabilia were pretty cool too... that is until you got the the section for Howard Hill... One small plaque stating his accomplishments (not the plaque on the wall with everyone else, this was the plaque in the case) and some pictures of him. But the bow did not appear to be a Hill style bow, I could be wrong, maybe it was his, but it looked like a static tip recurve selfbow. Fred Bear had a whole rack of bows with his pictures and plaque and a whole case of arrow heads and it was very impressive, but the Hill exhibit left much to be desired and I didn't feel it did the man justice. Anyone else been to the Hall of Fame exhibit at the springfield MO bass pro, what were your thoughts?

P.S. Don't even bother with the springfield MO bps archery range, I was expecting a 3d range, instead it was a back hallway room with some foam blocks and no targets, very dissapointing, luckily they didn't charge me for my 20 minutes of shooting.
"Now take thy weapons, thy quiver of arrows & thy bow & go out to the field, & hunt some venison."

"I caught the caimans on a cane pole baited with hotdogs. I beat them to death with a stick and skinned them with my bare teeth." -dhaverstick

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by Arkansas Osage:

P.S. Don't even bother with the springfield MO bps archery range, I was expecting a 3d range, instead it was a back hallway room with some foam blocks and no targets, very dissapointing, luckily they didn't charge me for my 20 minutes of shooting.
I think that's how all bps ranges are.  They do hold a pretty good pop-up competition once a year tho.

Offline Sal

• Trad Bowhunter
I went by that Bass Pro Shop two years ago when it was under construction.  All I could see was the mural featuring the archery pioneers.  From the mural I'm prepared to be disappointed, none of the guy looked like they're suppose to represent.  

The museum was probably done by a "curator" who doesn't know much about archery at best,or just whipped together by employees who know even less.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
I have been by there a few times since it was finished. Overall I am pleased to see a few of archery's pioneers getting recognized at all in a store like bass pro. Don't be surprised at all the Bear memorabilia cause years back Johnny Morris bought the Bear archery museum and company. I believe they still own the company and know for a fact that some of Fred's trophies are in the museum next to the main store. I am for one glad to see Bear back on the traditional scene though whether Bass Pro had anything to do with it or not.
James Kerr

Offline Stone Sheep

• Trad Bowhunter
The hall of Fame is pretty cool. The Fred Bear Museum is going to open late summer or early fall. It will be it's own building. Looking forward to it.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Board of Directors (past)
United Bowunters of Missouri Board of Directors

Offline Preston Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
I was there this past January and found it a pleasant surprise. I hadn't heard anything about it and when we where there it had just opened.

Offline dhaverstick

• Trad Bowhunter
I was at the AHOF last September for the Class of 2012 Induction Ceremony. It's a neat place! Lots of great history to see plus I got to meet a lot of the folks who made that history. I just wish it were a tad bigger so they could display more stuff.

The United Bowhunters of Missouri has a Jerry Pierce Choctaw bow signed by Glen St. Charles that we would love to have displayed there. We were told, though, that it would probably never see the light of day due to the limited amount of space they had.

Darren

Offline RLA

• Trad Bowhunter
Took the Wife & kids today. It's not bad, we enjoyed it. It sure beats there have nothing much trad archery department! I think they still had the same hand full of recurves they had 3 years ago. I thought they might have some of the new 59 Kodiak repros, nope. It looked like they were still working on one end of the Hall of fame, so it may yet get bigger? It's free to go in, so not a bad way to spend some time on a hot summer day.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©