3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thanks Sugar Ray Hammond  (Read 532 times)

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
Thanks Sugar Ray Hammond
« on: May 28, 2013, 08:34:00 AM »
First off I gotta say Im sure Hog Heaven (Wild Things) will remain a classic hunt and experience and is in good hands with Andrew from what I keep hearing.I should be there in December and March to see for myself     :pray:    Still, I cant help but feel a little regret for putting off my return for so long and not getting to hunt the way it was one more time.    :dunno:   Life has its way with us.

I got to share the camp with family and friends, met some new ones and had one of my best hunts ever down in that swamp and will always cherish the memories. So I just wanna say thanks Ray for putting yourself into the hunt like you did. I dont believe you know how much some of us folks love that place.  Id also like to post a pic or 2. If anyone else (Hog Heaven Alumni) would like to post their favorite HH pics and memories have at it.    

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thanks Sugar Ray Hammond
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 08:39:00 AM »

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 08:42:00 AM »

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 08:48:00 AM »

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 09:31:00 AM »
Awesome pics, Izzy!
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 11:01:00 AM »
the most amazing thing about that hog Izz was that when we drug him out we had absolutely NO idea he was spotted like that- still the coolest hog we've taken out of a bunch of good ones!

The 'Shaik YerBooty' brothers were awesome...really enjoyed their Axis of Evil performance at the Saturday night campfire!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 12:10:00 PM »

This is probably my favorite pic from that weekend. Hog Heaven was always a good time and Ray really went out of his way to ensure that.  I'm looking forward to getting down to Wild Things next spring.
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 12:19:00 PM »

Last trip to HH.
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 12:51:00 PM »
You nailed it with those pics Rick. We sure felt like you fellars were old time pals.

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 12:57:00 PM »
I love that last one Rick, it's a little bittersweet to look at, but I love that old porch!
Thom

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 04:36:00 PM »
Here is another picture of camp that I really like.

Thom

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 05:09:00 PM »
I will second everything that Izzy said. Thanks for running a great camp, Ray. (Mike too -- he did a little work......sometimes. (Just kidding, Mike)

A great place to get away and forget the pressures of the rat race. After all, a hog hunt is far better than any rat race. Rats are too small and they run too fast.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline DDyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 08:04:00 PM »
I too regret not going every year. Great pics but they make me miss the place even more.  :(
were it worth the trouble? Huh? What trouble?

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 08:39:00 PM »
Thank you all for the kind words. I appreciate it so much
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2013, 09:20:00 PM »
Can't speak more highly of Ray and Mike. Was an absolutely outstanding experience both times I was fortunate to spend time there.

So glad to have spent time at HH and looking forward to crossing paths with Ray and Mike again. Two nicer gentlemen I do not know.

Kudos to you Sir!
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline BrushWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2013, 10:39:00 PM »
I've only been there twice but both trips were memorable. Between Ray, Andrew, and the rest of the guys every trip is sure to be one of a kind. Ray is always a great host and guide. Oh and a top notch cook! After meeting Andrew on my first hunt I think it'll be in good hands.                   Thanks for everything Ray.
Kids who hunt, trap, & fish don't mug little old ladies.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2013, 11:17:00 PM »
Ray, maybe you could post our pic of the tribe. I have zero skills when it comes to such things.

Our group from PA has been to HH six times. Three of those were in 11 months! To say we love it there would be quite an understatement. It has become a retreat from the real world for us. We always have a wonderful time and return home totally relaxed and wanting to do it again ASAP.

Lots of memories. Lots of adventures. Lots of laughs. And plenty to eat!

I remember the beautiful white crane that lifted off from Blue Lake and banked through the cypress trees and sunbeams. I thanked God right there for letting me witness such a sight.

I remember the first day I ever hunted there. Ray sent us into those briar infested short pines. I carried a full back quiver and full bowquiver. I was so hopelessly stuck I just wanted air lifted out of there.

I remember lying on "my bunk", the top one in the back corner. A full blown severe thunderstorm was raging that night. You could feel it in your chest when it cracked. I thought "I'm only 12 inches and a thin steel roof away from certain death!".

Midday was spent relaxing, shooting ant hills, looking for heads, and trying not to think about going home.

One of my more memorable moments............just Ray and I in camp right around noon, I was totally beat, leaning way back in the adirondack chair with a PBR in my hand, sun on my face, eyes closed, enjoying leaving the snow up north. Ray says, "Dave, are you having a good time?". Good time doesn't come close to describing my feelings. The word "Awesome!" is more like it.

Hate to see the old camp go up in smoke, sort of. Once you got used to rat turds stuck to the bottom of your bare feet it wasn't all that bad. LOL

Here's to the old girl! She has shaped the lives of many a happy archer!

You too Ray & Mike

Ray, the framed leather engravings I made for the camp are for you. Make sure you grab them before the big bon fire.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2013, 06:11:00 AM »

This one right Dave?

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2013, 06:15:00 AM »
Dave everyone really liked your drawings for HH you've got real talent!

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2013, 06:18:00 AM »

Or is it this one    :knothead:    :goldtooth:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©