3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Advice on Carbon Express 350....  (Read 486 times)

Offline meatCKR

• Trad Bowhunter
Advice on Carbon Express 350....
« on: May 28, 2013, 09:24:00 AM »
Hi - Thinking of going with CX Heritage 350 cut to 28".  I have a 55 pound Savannah but at my drsw length pulling about 50 pounds.  Anyone with experience using this arrow at 28"?  And what weight head did you use?  I am thinking of putting a 300 grain steel force traditional on there for a total weight of 650 grains.  The bow is center cut but I have a velcro side plate. I realize there are many variables, just looking to see what peoples experiences have been with this setup.  Thanks!
"Leave it as it is. You can not improve on it. The ages have been
at work on it, and man can only mar it."
- Theodore Roosevelt upon seeing the Grand Canyon.

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Advice on Carbon Express 350....
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 09:33:00 AM »
There will probably be more people get in here,but that sounds like it might be a bit stiff. I'm shooting 250 out of a 55lbs and they are full length with a 175 grain tip.

Offline bsv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 09:44:00 AM »
Way to stiff, I use them,BW recurve 59lbs 31in arrow with 200grns up front 5in feathers, they fly like darts. just my option Burt
R/D's soon to come

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 09:52:00 AM »
For carbon express, I would think you would need 150's.
Watch for the change in spines. Carbon express has changed their spines fairly recently, and the they are weaker than the old ones that are marked the same.
Ken Thornhill

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 09:53:00 AM »
That will be way too stiff.  You could go with 250's running 300grains but and start with them long cutting back to tune.

Offline Tutanka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 09:58:00 AM »
Originally posted by kat:
For carbon express, I would think you would need 150's.
Watch for the change in spines. Carbon express has changed their spines fairly recently, and the they are weaker than the old ones that are marked the same.
x2

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 10:55:00 AM »
:knothead:  Too stiff and cut too short for your set up and up to 70#
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 12:20:00 PM »
I agree. Too stiff. A 250 at 30" will handle a 295g head out of a 55# bow.
Nick Viau
President, Michigan Longbow Association
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Offline tradlab

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 12:35:00 PM »
Too stiff. I shoot bows in the 53to 55 lb range and use 150s cut to 29" with 200 to 250 grains up front.Ditto what limblover said, I shoot 29" 250s with 300 grains up front out of my 55lb bows.

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 12:53:00 PM »
aint going to do too well with that one. What would make you want such a stiff shaft?

A 150 with all the components and a 300g head will give you a 610 g arrow +- (cut to 28"s).

That will go through anything that a 50lb bow could kill.
BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 01:02:00 PM »
Have to agree, 350's @ 28" will way stiff for a bow in the low 50's.
If you are going to cut to 28", I'd start with 150's.
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline mmisciag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 01:28:00 PM »
I shoot a 55# slammer. I use 150s cut to 29 1/4. They seem about right. As I change strings, I change tip weight. Right now, I am using 150 grain filed points. I have  a fast Allan Shafer string from Lefties R Us.

Martin

Offline meatCKR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 01:53:00 PM »
Awesome feedback everyone!  Thanks.  I currently shoot 150's cut to 28.5 and 150 grain heads and they fly straight.  But yesterday I changed side plates from a very thin foam type material to velcro - which was thicker and I noticed my arrows showing weak.  Plus, I have been wanting to go up to a heavy arrow.  My current setup is only 440 grains and I want to go up to the 600 range to get 12 gpp range.  I did notice that CX recently weakened the spine of the Heritage line so I will have to check with the vendor I buy them from to see which ones I am getting.  I'll probably go with 250's and buy a test kit from 3R to see which weight makes em fly straight.  I was just shocked that they side plate made that much difference.  Th

Offline meatCKR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 01:54:00 PM »
Awesome feedback everyone!  Thanks.  I currently shoot 150's cut to 28.5 and 150 grain heads and they fly straight.  But yesterday I changed side plates from a very thin foam type material to velcro - which was thicker and I noticed my arrows showing weak.  Plus, I have been wanting to go up to a heavy arrow.  My current setup is only 440 grains and I want to go up to the 600 range to get 12 gpp range.  I did notice that CX recently weakened the spine of the Heritage line so I will have to check with the vendor I buy them from to see which ones I am getting.  I'll probably go with 250's and buy a test kit from 3R to see which weight makes em fly straight.  I was just shocked that they side plate made that much difference.  Th

Offline meatCKR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2013, 02:03:00 PM »
Oops!  Sorry for the double post!  Computer glitch.  I am fairly new to trad.  I am a converted wheels guy.  So far, I am loving it!  Thanks All!

Offline Car54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2013, 02:22:00 PM »
A lot of us are converted wheely guys, including me....hope you enjoy it as much as I do.  Good luck!

Offline nashoba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2013, 04:07:00 PM »
I tried both the mayhem 250 and 350's cut to 30 inches, out of a 60 lbs. longbow and only the 350's would bare shaft. I'm using a 200 grain point and  4 inch feathers and they fly perfect.

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2013, 09:00:00 PM »
Building out the side plate should require a lighter spine arrow.  Have you tried 200 gr tips?
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline meatCKR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2013, 09:47:00 PM »
Threeunder, that's what I had heard - that a thicker side plate would have the affect of stiffening the arrow.  So I was shocked by what I was seeing.  I don't have any bare shafts so I can't bare shaft tune but I think I am going to get some and test with a heavier head like you suggest.  I am in my first year of shooting traditional so an inconsistent release could be an issue as well.  I shoot split finger and I am just going to keep practicing a lot and see how it goes. I do eventually want to get my arrow weight up to a little over 600 grains so if the CX 250 are now at 10.2 gpi, I can get them at 28 inches and with 300 grain head be right in the area I want to be.  I will also get a test kit from 3Rivers.  That will probably be best.  Thanks!

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2013, 11:41:00 PM »
There is something else going on. Even though you are split, it has been proven that the arrow can still slide down the string after release. Adding a second nock...one above and one below string may help. Are your arrow nocks tight on the string?
Also you need to check your nock height. Are you getting wear spots on your sideplate or rest?

Just take one of your arrows and cut the fletching off. It will tell you alot providing the above are in order.

It is a big mistake people often make when they try to raise arrow weight by choosing a heavier shaft. That almost always means a stiffer spine.

Add the weight to the front. You can typically add a lot of weight and only cut the shaft a little. This will give you the most superior flight characteristics.
Your also in too big of a hurry to cut the arrows. cutting should be saved for tuning only.

I doubt you could shoot a 250 cut to 28" even with 300g up front.
best of luck, bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©