3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: penatration  (Read 468 times)

Offline B-DOG

• Trad Bowhunter
penatration
« on: August 29, 2007, 05:00:00 PM »
do you all think 125 gr. magnus 2 blade with bleeder(4-blade) will penatrate better than woodsman. equally sharp. i like the 2 blade but also like a little more cut.

b-dog

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: penatration
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 05:07:00 PM »
dang, i got all excited when i saw this thread title.    :scared:
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline robslifts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 05:10:00 PM »
i agree the bleeder blades will aid in penetration
St. Joe River Bows

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 06:32:00 PM »
I believe so but who knows?  Shoot a deer with each and call us in the morning!
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 06:34:00 PM »
I have always had excellent penetration with 2 blade but get better blood trails with a Snuffer. I haven't tried with the bleeder blades yet.
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline MikeS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 06:21:00 AM »
My girlfriend and I went to Africa last year.  I had her shoot Magnus 2 blade heads with no bleeders.  Very disappointed in how the Magnus heads held up!  Almost all of them bent on the tip, some quite dramatically!  I used Bear heads with the chisel tips (not real pointed) and they performed flawlessly!  I'll not be buying any more Magnus heads.
Mike

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 07:49:00 AM »
I shot a bear and a buck w/Manus Stingers w/bleeders this pass season.  Both animals were down in sight the buck actually went back to his munchin on acorns.  I had a similar experience to MikeS, the broadheads didn't bend but did have a wobble when I sharpened them back up and spun them.  I think the damage came from the DIRT(pass through) not the animals.  The good news is the folks at Magnus took back the bent heads no problem and sent me out a new pack no charge.  I'll be shooting them again this year.  Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 08:30:00 AM »
I've used and killed critters with both Magnus and WW.  I stopped using the Woodsman because of tip curl I experienced on a hog hunt and after observing the other bent tips of Woodsmans that the Outfitter had retreived from lost hogs (they eventually located)that were shot with the WW.  The same Outfitter also indicated the most successful trad hunters in their operation two-blade heads.  
I've never had a problem with penetration with the Magnus BHs that I've used, although I've never used the bleeders.  I was given some Muzzy Phantoms last year to try and used them with the bleeders on a deer hunt and must say that I was truly impressed with the performance.  Shooting a 46# bow, that BH zipped through a broadside doe like she wasn't even there.
In general, I like two blades at my poundage, but I would not be reluctant to try the Magnus with Bleeders given my experience to date.

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 09:38:00 AM »
Try Zwickey. They are cheaper and a tempered harder than Magnus otherwise the design it pretty much the same. I think the Magnus are a little too soft.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 09:40:00 AM »
I'll second Pinecone's thoughts on the Phantoms. I too used them for the first time last year and was impressed. I shot 2 does with the bleeders with big holes and good trails (max was 100 yards). After reading Dr Ashby's stuff I took the bleeders out and "modified" the phantom by creating one bevel. I made a poor shot into a giant whitetail buck and broke a big gash out of a scapula and got one lung. I'm afraid a "lesser" head would have been a bigger mess than it was. I have that big deer ready for his form after I get back from Colorado! I'm using them on this elk hunt, but I'm anxious to try modifying a grizzly with the results of his (Dr Ashby)new data being out. Just my 2 cents...
Mike Davenport

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2007, 07:49:00 PM »
Anyone know about the nap razor backs. They spin, Im not to sure about that.
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©