3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The swing draw for hunting,... is it practical?  (Read 1009 times)

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
The swing draw for hunting,... is it practical?
« on: May 28, 2013, 09:04:00 PM »
From time to time over the yrs Ive played with the swing draw style of shooting which has been taught by many of the greats, whom I admire, greatly, but is it really practical for most hunting situations?
In my trials it seems that theres a whole lot of movement involved with this style,......and what do game pick up on most? Movement.
As much as I love the smooth, clean, fluid motion of the swing draw, it just doesnt seem very practical in the Whitetail woods.
Id like to hear your thoughts on this style,  from those who use it, as well as those who dont.
   :coffee:

Re: The swing draw for hunting,... is it practical?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 09:14:00 PM »
I use a swing draw and I have killed a few critters with that draw!I have shot animals from tree stands, from ground blinds with the windows open, and spot and stalk. I have gotten busted, but most of the times it works just fine.

Bisch

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 09:14:00 PM »
I can not see the problem as you just slow the entire process down when needed.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 09:16:00 PM »
I've practiced with it a bit, but never use it hunting.  If I did, I would just slow down the whole process.  

If you watch some of Hills videos, you'll see that he didn't always use the swing draw either.  A lot of times, the his bow is almost in a shooting position, when he slaps an arrow on it, draws and shoots.

Howard did a lot of small game hunting, and in most cases, the game is already moving before the draw is started so it doesn't matter much what kind of draw one does then, it just has to be fairly fast.

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 09:17:00 PM »
Same for me. I just slow it down when needed(rarely) but it's all one fluid movement(when I do it right).

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 09:27:00 PM »
Thanks Bisch, just the kind of input I was looking for, from some of those that use that style.
In my use of the style on the range im pretty darned accurate with with it, but have hesitated using it in the field because of the movement associated with it, but hearing from folks like you, I may just stick with it.
Thanks much
Paul
   :thumbsup:

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 10:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bisch:
I use a swing draw and I have killed a few critters with that draw!I have shot animals from tree stands, from ground blinds with the windows open, and spot and stalk. I have gotten busted, but most of the times it works just fine.

Bisch
And when Bisch says a few critters he means more than Noah had on the ark.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Aunty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 12:18:00 AM »
I just slow it down that's all, I arrowed some pigs last week had to hold at full draw for around 30sec before letting fly. I swing draw all the time, just slow it right down and you will be sweet as.

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 12:39:00 AM »
Pardon my ignorance but what is the "swing draw"?

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 04:03:00 AM »
Originally posted by Jakeemt:
Ditto How about a short clip of it.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 07:57:00 AM »
Originally posted by Thumper Dunker:

Originally posted by Jakeemt:
Ditto How about a short clip of it. [/b]
Romans 8:28

Online two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 08:40:00 AM »
Hill and Schulz did pretty well with it too.
I think control is the key and the speed of your target dictates the speed of the draw....you can swing slow or fast.

Here's some fast at the begiining of this:

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 01:44:00 PM »
It obviously will work but my goal has always been to minimize movement because its the biggest giveaway you are there

At close range a push pull straight at the animal will serve you more effectively- if you are in the process of choosing one why not try it on birds and squirrels in your back yard and see what works for you

Howard took a lot of shots at ranges most of us don't because he was a fantastic shot and was confident - often on moving game

I like them close, facing away from me, deaf in one ear and blind in one eye. If I find one like that I've got a fighting chance
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 02:23:00 PM »
I think that the swing draw has a lot to do with what shooting rhythm one uses and what type of bow one uses. A heavy handled recurve is a bit slower to get on point, if the bow has a deep grip, if the shooter shoots that bow with a straight arm and if one needs to hold for several seconds to be accurate, the swing draw may seem a bit weird.  The whole idea of the swing draw is about fluid power and control, but for me it is also easier on the shoulders. The ability to make a shot happen that is not the standing still shot or the shot that is out of position.  Most of my best shots at game have been fairly quick.  Hill said that game shots should be done at a faster tempo than what a target shooter would use.  It is the world where a fast pointing longbow shot with a bent bow arm, a swing draw, and a nearly instant release comes together to put meat on the table.  One other aspect of the swing draw. If one extends the bow, rotates the body to reach to the string, and rotates to draw the bow, one will need to re-aim when the anchor is reached.  I hunt on the ground and I have found that taking that much body motion and that much time is quite often too mcuh for the deer that I hunt. With the swing draw, the body does does not need to do much motion, one can take an accurate shot with one's back tight to a tree and still come up dead accurate with the release happening instantly. Fast, fluid accuracy.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 08:05:00 PM »
Ok thats what I do just never knew it had a name.Good for fast shots at little moving critters.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2013, 08:43:00 PM »
The swing draw works perfectly for hunting, I believe it is the core of successful instinctive shooting (for me).

I never draw when a deer can see me anyway.....and my swing is like molasses when on a deer.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2013, 09:45:00 PM »
Asbell's books on instinctive shooting have a lot on this (mostly pros).  

It doesn't have to be a full swing and can help to focus on the target.  That said I don't regularly use it - don't know why, possibly cause not how I learned.  A standard draw has a decent amount of movement anyway.
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2013, 10:17:00 PM »
I was sitting on a blow-down log and had just finished my PBJ sandwich when a buck walked up and stopped 11 yards away he stood there with not a bit of cover between us.  I raised the bow drew and released in one motion.

That's a shot I use bunny hunting all the time and it paid off with a nice buck.

Practice swing arm, practice slow with set arm draw, practice push-pull, practice facing with both feet pointing away from the target.  Practice holding the bow horizontal on your knees, practice shooting under the seat of a chair, etc., etc.  Eventually a shot will present itself that may pay off.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2013, 10:18:00 PM »
Sorry - duplicate post.  (?)
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Swinestalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2013, 04:26:00 PM »
I use it all the time and believe it is a natural for ground hunting. When an animal looks away, you can get an arrow headed his direction in one quick, fluid motion. It also works better than you think if they are not looking away. You must practice until it is a fluid movement and it is crucial to fully commit to the shot.
Having done so much, with so little, for so long, I can now do anything with nothing.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©