3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The swing draw for hunting,... is it practical?  (Read 1008 times)

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The swing draw for hunting,... is it practical?
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2013, 05:21:00 PM »
I've always had some amount of "swing" in my draw.  As other have said, it rarely starts at the waist unless I am standing on a target range.  In the field there's probably less than a foot of swing involved.

For whatever reason, I never seem to get my shoulders set right with a straight push-pull draw.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2013, 08:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by KSdan:
I find this entire discussion rather interesting . . .Our predecessors, some of the greatest archers and archery hunters of all time, namely John Shulz, Howard Hill, Byron Ferguson, Asbel and many others- all shot with some type of rhythm/timing sequence style draw while rarely holding any type of anchor; i.e. a static style.  Further, I have heard/read these men clearly and STRONGLY denounce any other style FOR HUNTING.

Don't take it from me as I am not an authority, but I think you could document that ALL these men would tell you to decide:  target shooting or hunting.  They do not mix.  

I really wonder how much our modern world; compound/techno, 3D competitions, etc. have influenced our thinking.  

Watch the John Shulz video on youtube.  Listen closely to the archery philosophy he presents from Howard Hill.  Shooting at game is VERY different than shooting at targets.

I am intrigued by all of you who mention too much movement. . .  while again I am no authority, I am not sure you understand the swing draw.  You all have to move to shoot with trad equip. - the swing draw is simply a practiced rhythm/timing with no static beginning or anchor.  You can slow it down to a crawl if you like.
First off I'm no expert either!  :) . But I do know for 100% certainty that Byron Ferguson teaches NOT to swing draw. He states it very very clearly in his book and shooting video.  He claims " too much movement" (I don't quite follow this belief BUT the people I have seen who try swing draw do move alot.
and he said it can cause serious shoulder injuries for those shooting heavier weights.  

Now, if you watch his aerial shots and moving shots it looks bet swing drawish.  But a stationary target he holds his bow out in front first.  I incorporate push/pull , swing, and static depending on situation and target. I think this topic has confusion due to different peoples interpretation of swing or static draw. I think of Hill /Shulz when I think swing NOT asbell. I think Jimmy Blackmon/Arne Mo when I think of static.  I fall Inbetween there somewhere. Others may view it differently, but I do not think of a swing draw as a crazy flailing motion to get to anchor and snap shooting ( I have seen it this way plenty of times at shoots though) and I do by think of static drawing only as a super rigid form like oly shooters use.  

Paul I think swing fits perfect in hunting situations , I'm just not good enough to do it
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2013, 01:58:00 AM »
Brianlocal- point taken. Good points.  For sure different perspectives and definitions exist.  I think that was one of my observations. . .wonder why we think a swing draw has so much movement.  ??    

Like I said, I found this entire discussion "interesting," ( I mean that- it is curious) particularly in light of some of these great trad shooters before us. They clearly had styles that reflected some type of rhythm, tilted head, shorter draws, flexed shoulders, quick release, etc.  Their styles were clearly not static; i.e. a straight rigid arm draw, full extension type draw, or an Olympic style of target shooting (and certainly pretty exclusive to modern compounds).  Byron sure does not look static in my definition (emphasis on "my" definition).

Keeping with this thread- I think the earlier generation guys may have been on to something about non-static shooting and hunting.

Again- "interesting" as I just wonder how much a static style of shooting from the modern compound world has influenced this discussion.  Not to be solved here. . .??????
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2013, 09:48:00 AM »
Many of the animals I've shot have been moving.  I don't think a one of them has seen it coming.  A stationary deer may pick it up if they are not "doing anything", but I've not had a problem.  The deer in MI get hunted mid September until Jan 1.  I think they are maybe keyed up second only to TX animals.  

If swing draw is your style, just pick the right opportunity.  Just like anything, it takes practice to know when that "right time" is.  I shoot trad for a lot of reasons, but you have to be willing to fail from time to time as you progress with this type of hunting.  

A miss for me is only a learning experience and I don't really care what the animal was, giant buck or doe, you just do better the next time. I failed miserably for many chances at animals learning to hunt pressured animals from the ground...

« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2013, 01:43:00 PM »
When it comes to wired and wary deer, nothing beats NW Iowa public land and the busy private ground I hunt on where guys are cruising the field edges every night, even when they are not hunting.  Hunting these areas on the ground requires luck, a good back drop and a smooth quick shot.  It seems that deer will pick up on the slightest of motions.  Try holding your bow out extended for any length of time, there will be motion, the deer I hunt from the ground will pick-up on that little bit of movement.  My wife looks at her feet, not the deer, when the situation lets her shoot, she takes her bow off her leg swings up to deer, hesitates about a 1/4 second and shoots.  Even shooting from a standing position, it seems that our deer will do a stop and momentary freeze most of the time before bolting. A quick one second swing draw shot is the only shot that will do it at times. That is how I have filled most of my doe tags, getting shots while working my way to where I was going to sit. Of course, it is very important to see the deer before they see you for even the fastest shot to work.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©