3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wood vs Carbon  (Read 811 times)

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
Wood vs Carbon
« on: May 29, 2013, 04:40:00 PM »
I'm sure this has been a topic of several discussions over the years on here so I will keep it short. I have always shot wood and I have been playing with some carbons of late. I can't seem to take the step to carbon as I have more faith in wood. I would like to hear who uses what and why. Thanks!

Offline Rock 'N Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wood vs Carbon
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 04:56:00 PM »
For me its either Surewood Fir or Arrow Dynamics Hammerhead Trad. I've been extremely pleased with both. I find the Hammerheads to be very easy to tune and are heavy enough to be suitable for hunting. The Surewood arrows are amazingly straight and very durable.
Todd Henck Longbow 68" 58#@28"
Dave Johnson Longbow 66" 60#@27"
Northern Mist Ramer 64" 50#@27"
Northern Mist Classic 68" 52#@28"
Shrew Hill #1 "Alpha" 67" 48#@28"

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 05:04:00 PM »
I tried carbons a coupla' years ago and just could not get a satisfactory tune. Not saying they are bad at all it was probably more me and less them.  I spent about 6 weeks to give carbon a fair trial and went back to wood.
I think you can develop a relationship with wood that other materials just can't seem to satisfy.   :archer2:

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 05:05:00 PM »
I shoot both carbon and aluminum...only reason that I do not shoot wood is that I have enough to deal with now...one day I will shoot wood I am sure like I did back when I was about 10 years old
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 05:08:00 PM »
I shoot mostly carbon but just built a couple of sets of Surewood shafts that are growing on me fast.  Might even take the plunge all the way and hunt with the fir this fall.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 05:10:00 PM »
I made up some AD Trad Lites because I had sold AD's when my shop was opened. I prefer aluminum off the longbow and wood off the Fedora and Groves.

I have Surewoods, SuperCeeders and some Ash still around.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 05:16:00 PM »
I have shot carbon and aluminum. I got great flight with minimal problems. I like wood more and it is all I currently shoot, mostly Douglas Fir from Surewood Shafts and occasionally when good shafts are available, Cedar. The soft woods (especially Surewoods) come straight, are easy to keep that way and fly beautifully.

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 05:55:00 PM »
I like the quietness of a well-tuned wood arrow. I played with carbons and got them flying great, but there's just something too "impersonal" about anything other than wood. I'm currently shooting old Cedars, Doug firs and some heavy tapered Ash.

Sold most of my carbons to buy wood shafts.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline SAVIOUR68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 06:06:00 PM »
AD trad lites for carbon and sitka spruce for woodies. I also find my self shooting woodies more because they seem a wee bit more forgiving and also love the time building them.

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 06:37:00 PM »
To me carbons can be finicky with getting the right tune and having to maintain it. However, with wood I can get a perfect flight even with a bit of out of tune.

I also like the Surewood shafts as they come straight and with few grain faults. They also seem to tolerate abuse a little better than cedars.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 07:04:00 PM »
After shooting carbons for the last 3 years or so I'm sold on them for ease of tuning, toughness and straightness. Wood is nice but after banging carbons off of trees and 3-D wood supports, whanging them off of trees and generally abusing the heck out of them I've only broken one arrow which hit the steel support of the target.

Tuning is a snap once you get the hang of it and never had to fiddle with them once tuned. I never had perfect flight with wood and they were fragile. They are nostalgic, quiet and pretty though.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 08:48:00 PM »
Wood rules. It is my choice for arrows because it is wood.
It has a life of it's own, incredibly easy to tune and shoot great. Quiet to shoot. Yes they break easier than carbons (sometimes) but then a good set of woods is as accurate as any other shaft choice. If you don't bang them of the trres, rocks, etc they last a long time.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 09:25:00 PM »
I like the nostalgia  of wood and just seem to understand it better. I have tried to get carbons tuned it but was never really satisfied with them. My Hills just seem to prefer wood (and maybe I am just prejudiced in favor of wood). Besides I have never seen carbons as attractive as many of the woodies I have seen.
Sam

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 11:05:00 PM »
What's wrong with these ?

• Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 12:38:00 AM »
I believed carbon to be a superior shaft materiel compared to wood. Wood has a romance to it and is dead quiet.  I don't mess with aluminum anymore.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2013, 06:22:00 AM »
Originally posted by njloco:
What's wrong with these ?

Very nice!    :clapper:

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2013, 08:41:00 AM »
If maximizing penetration is a concern for you then carbon is the way to go. I shoot plenty of weight so arrow shaft choice is mostly based on whimsy.

Carbon doesn't "noodle" as badly when it hits your target transferring momentum energy more efficiently. It typically needs to be weighted on the front end to achieve tune which give improved FOC. Is tough as nails so it's less likely to break on hard impacts on game. It's either straight or it's broken. Smaller diameter has penetration advantages as well.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2013, 08:55:00 AM »
Carbons stay straight and rarely break. I have been shooting the same dozen for years. Wood arrows smell better.
John

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2013, 08:59:00 AM »
I shoot carbon arrows but I will always have an affection for a good wood arrow.  I like making woodies, the whole process of staining, cap dipping (spray), cresting, and then several coats of finish until you get that nice glassy look is very satisfying.

Carbon shafts are so consistent, durable, and easy to tune that they have become my main arrow.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2013, 09:06:00 AM »
And I like the idea of screwing different points on carbons in seconds over heating wood with a torch. I just like carbons. They don't have to be ugly either.

Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©