3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sharpening help...  (Read 250 times)

Offline BassBow

• Trad Bowhunter
Sharpening help...
« on: May 30, 2013, 10:23:00 AM »
Hello,

I am new to sharpening broadheads. I just bought some Woodsmans from three rivers.

What is the best method for sharpening these puppies? On the 3 river site they use a three step process. I want to have the right tools...so I am looking to you all for advice. Thanks!
Toelke Classic Whip 48# @ 28"
Big Jim Buffalo 51# @ 29".

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter

Offline BassBow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sharpening help...
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 01:05:00 PM »
Thanks! I know this would be great if my computer would allow me to view them.

I guess what I am getting at is, what are the essential tools that a novice needs to get sharpening???
Toelke Classic Whip 48# @ 28"
Big Jim Buffalo 51# @ 29".

Offline Todd Cook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 01:24:00 PM »
For a 3 blade I use a 10 inch mill file and a piece of leather. That's it. I put the heads on a shaft, lay the file flat on 2 blades, sort of diagonally. Push the file away from you, back to tip. Start out with moderate pressure and get a lighter touch as you go along. Finish with just the weight of the file. Then, put the leather on a tabletop, piece of glass, tile ,ect. pull the broadhead towards you, back to tip. Just a few light strokes to remove the burr. If done right, they will CUT!! Good luck.

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 01:55:00 PM »
One simple way is to run the Woodmans backward over the file, preferably the largest mill bastard you can find.  Quality of the file makes a difference, buy new and retain just for BH's.  Lighten your strokes as you progress.  You can leave as is or stop per you tastes.  

Good luck!

Kris

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 02:30:00 PM »
I use a 12" mill bastard file.  1 stroke, turn, stroke.  21 total.  Then the same with a crock stick and they'll flat wipe the hair off your arm.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©