3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: *****What is an ELK arrow?????  (Read 1137 times)

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
*****What is an ELK arrow?????
« on: May 30, 2013, 10:37:00 AM »
Since I have been on TG there has been a countless number of threads about what arrow to use for elk. What never ceases to amaze me are the responses to these questions. I am by no means an authority on the engineering of an arrow. I have seen a lot of elk on the ground though, some of them mine most others. I have taken elk with 430gr arrows out of 57lbs bows and elk with 600 grain arrows from the same weight bow.  I will pass on a few of my thoughts from what I have witnessed in person.  

There are so many schools of thought on what it takes to kill an elk.  When I first joined tradgang and described my set-up to the crowd I was told I would never be able to kill an elk with what I shoot. Never I was told.   At that time I was shooting a Palmer 57@28 and gold tip arrows with a Magnus stinger.  No added weight just a sharp head on an arrow that flew straight.
Here are just two of the elk I took with that set up.

Let’s talk about learning. I did some from this set-up over time, even though I shot through both of these elk. I did pay attention to the heavier arrow arguments and chose to test out some new combinations.  What I came up with was a 600gr skinny FMJ axis with the stinger head and 100gr brass insert.  On a various number of mediums it showed an improvement in penetration.  So I took it hunting.  
This bull was taken with that arrow.  It was a horrible shot due to an unforeseen situation with the wind.  The 31.25 inch arrow buried to the knock through bone and muscle.  I firmly believe the heavier arrow was the difference between kill and wound on this bull.

I have held close to that arrow design and weight since then and it continues to perform over and over again. I have seen elk killed with many combinations of arrows, broadheads, bow weights and draw lengths.  The bottom line is this in my opinion.

It is no doubt wise to do everything you can to optimize your set-up, draw the most weight you can comfortably shoot well, shoot an arrow that is of reasonable weight for the bow your shooting i.e. 9-11 gpp, TUNE TUNE TUNE a poorly tuned arrow no matter the weight will not penetrate worth a darn compared to an identical well-tuned arrow, use a quality head and get it sharp.  

I have found in my time whether guiding hunters, being with friends or my own experience the most important factor in successful hunting is confidence in your gear.  Spend the time with your bow to be confident in what it can do and that you and the bow can do it together.   It doesn’t take some insanely heavy arrow or 80lb draw. However, you must be smart in all hunting about your set-up and do the research to get the most out of your bow with what you're able to do. You owe that to the game you pursue.

There will no doubt be someone or many someones who have been on one guided hunt and now know everything about what it takes and those who are keyboard hunters and have never killed an elk and they can and will tell you everything you are doing wrong.  Don’t let the nay sayer destroy your confidence in the set-up that works for you.  I have seen this so much over the past two years it truly boggles my mind.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline wixwood

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: *****What is an ELK arrow?????
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 10:50:00 AM »
Randy,

I think you and I should do a side by Comparison of your set up and my set up with footed woodies and the 2 blade single bevel in true elk hunting conditions. Let me know when and where to meet you this fall.

:)   sw
Fort Collins Archery Association
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
NRA Life Member

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 10:57:00 AM »
Excellent Post!    :clapper:

Offline CRS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 11:15:00 AM »
It is no doubt wise to do everything you can to optimize your set-up, draw the most weight you can comfortably shoot well, shoot an arrow that is of reasonable weight for the bow your shooting i.e. 9-11 gpp, TUNE TUNE TUNE a poorly tuned arrow no matter the weight will not penetrate worth a darn compared to an identical well-tuned arrow, use a quality head and get it sharp.

My sentiments exactly.  That statement covers 99% of all bowhunting equipment questions.

9-11 gpp, TUNE, TUNE, TUNE, and a SHARP quality head!
Inquiring minds.......

Online ssoden

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 11:17:00 AM »
Randy .. Thanks for sharing!!!

Steve

Offline Longbowz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 11:25:00 AM »
I'm with you on the arrow setup.  A good solid combination without going to extremes, proper tuning and the confidence to use it will always be best.

Glad you brought this up.
I find the older I get, the less I used to know!

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 12:09:00 PM »
You said it all in a nutshell,no truer words have yet been written.Accuracy,razor sharp heads and shot placement is paramount.Well said.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline widow sax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 12:12:00 PM »
I couldn't agree with you more.    Widow

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 12:17:00 PM »
With the perfect hit, in the ribs, without hitting ribs, you could probably put an arrow through an elk with a 30 lb. bow. But I like extra insurance. I shoot 700 grain arrows, two blade tips,and 55-60 lbs. out of a highly efficient bow. My draw is also 30 inches. So far I have killed three elk where I needed the extra penetration. The other fifteen died without needing the extra penetration. Gary

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 12:23:00 PM »
Ok now you've got your "perfect" arrow setup. Time to shoot, shoot, and shoot! I like to shoot a few arrows everyday. I'll walk out back and try and visualize an elk or deer where the target is and think to myself..."make this one count!" Just kind of preps me for that moment so I do my part.
Randy and others, good stuff!
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 12:28:00 PM »
Well said!
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 04:01:00 PM »
There is no substitute for being able to shoot good.  I agree with Randy, you need the right equipment including arrows.  However, unless you can put the arrow where it needs to go - heavy or light arrow will only wound the animal.  Practice, Practice, Practice - attend 3D shoots.  Don't worry about the score rings as some are not where they belong.  Pick a spot and put the arrow there.  Be able to handle your bow and shooting under pressure.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 04:16:00 PM »
Excellent post, a good continuation of our private message discussion.  Now is the time for me to obsess about gear.  By July 1 I'll have it dialed in and practice religiously though truth be told I'm sure any of the arrows I have tuned should be fine.

Finding game and getting close enough for a shot have always proved more troublesome then the lethality of my gear!  ;)

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 04:19:00 PM »
Gene you are exactly right. I was just getting at the gear thing. I give much credit to Gene as he has helped me become a better shooter over the years I have known him.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline T-Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 05:21:00 PM »
Excellent Post!
William

JD Berry Valor 66” 45@28
Great Northern Bush Bow 62" 47@28"
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2013, 05:25:00 PM »
I have a lot of confidence in these..............

Killed a cow 2 years ago-heard the crash!
11/32 doug fir with an Abowyer brown bear up front; 650 gn total wt.

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2013, 06:07:00 PM »
Love your post Randy, thank you.  Well said!  Hard to argue with your success!  A "BALANCED" setup is key!  

I'm comfortable with 575 - 675+ grain arrow, 25% plus FoC, skinny carbon arrow tuned PERFECTLY to a mid fifties weight bow with any of the outstanding "traditional COC BH's" we have available to us.  

There are many, really great possibilities.

Kris

Online fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2013, 08:39:00 PM »
Thanks for some great advice.
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2013, 08:57:00 PM »
So is 37 pounds enough for Elk?..................................   :biglaugh:  Sorry, I couldn't resist

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2013, 10:26:00 PM »
Being convinced of one’s own knowledge closes many doors.

Building rigid confidence as predicated on one’s own experience is priceless.

>>>Nice and valued post - thank you<<<
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©