3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: *****What is an ELK arrow?????  (Read 1141 times)

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: *****What is an ELK arrow?????
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2013, 10:56:00 PM »
Randy, Well said!

Personally, I put more emphasis a well tuned arrow then its weight.  Elk have fallen to my arrows that weighed as little as 460, and as much as 750 grains. That said, I now prefer wood arrows in the 600-650 grain range.  However, most important is the ability to put the arrow in the correct place at the critical time.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2013, 11:20:00 PM »
Well said
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2013, 11:21:00 PM »
Very well stated, Randy! I agree with everything in your post, especially the part about being well tuned and having confidence in your equipment.

I have been elk hunting 3 times and have yet to get a shot at an elk (I have about convinced myself also, that any legal elk that I can get in front of me is going to get shot). I do however, have complete confidence in my set-up and have no doubt that it will do the job if I do mine!

Bisch

Offline Nativestranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2013, 12:07:00 AM »
You shot through 2 elks with a 430 gr arrow. That was just 7.5 gpp. Are you getting much better penetration on elk with the 10.5 gpp arrows?
Instinctive gapper.

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2013, 04:15:00 AM »
Top post Randy ! So very very true mate. I also agree with what someone else mentioned in regards to practice...shoot shoot shoot!

ak.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2013, 10:39:00 AM »
The heavy arrow does perform better stranger
TGMM Family of The Bow

Online DGW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2013, 04:47:00 PM »
Great post, I have not responded to most elk set up posts because did not agree with most that was posted.
But you hit it on the head, I have not shot a lot of elk but have shot 14 bulls over the years and most with around 57# and 500 to 600gr arrows and 4bld heads. tuned sharp and practice is the most important.

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2013, 12:07:00 AM »
Awesome post !!!!!!!
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2013, 01:31:00 AM »
Randy, Not saying this lightly , This is probably the best post I have ever read on any sight. It is perfect, to the point and accurate in every point. I love that you have backed it up with your experience and great pictures. It establishes credibility and is sooooo interesting. You have not only established a great elk arrow but you have gone further in that after you describe it and how you got it the need for tuning and practice. I have been a pro guide and hunted all my long life and when you say that confidence is of the utmost importance I say Amen Bro. Most animals are missed or wounded due to second guessing and lack of confidence in the equipment and in the man .

God bless you and thanks again for a fantastic Read. Steve

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2013, 04:36:00 AM »
I know Randy personally and here in the site,I have full respect of this young man and of great experience and dedication he has developed over the seasons.
I have 23 elk seasons under my belt but always something to learn from him. Any experienced elk hunter will agree with what Randy stated on his post. My medicine for elk is almost the same he is using.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2013, 08:36:00 AM »
Agree,
Great confidence in equiptment always trumps great opions from others.
As a eastern whitetail hunter.Elk are much more tempting to stretch your range.Hunting mostly from the ground and a very large kill zone in comparison to a deer.Bowhunters(myself included)see shooting a elk out to 30 yrds is simular in target reference as a deer at 20yrds.This can be trouble not only w/out confidence but far more horsepower is needed.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2013, 09:32:00 AM »
Originally posted by wixwood:
Randy,

I think you and I should do a side by Comparison of your set up and my set up with footed woodies and the 2 blade single bevel in true elk hunting conditions. Let me know when and where to meet you this fall.

:)    sw
You have a pretty good idea there Steve.  :)
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2013, 09:01:00 PM »
Well put Randy! I have never hunted elk at all seen a few in CO and north AR and would love to get a chance at one. I think what you said is spot on not just for elk but any animal (provided some like elephants and such are special cases). A well tuned moderately heavy arrow and sharp head is bad medicine for any animal.
James Kerr

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2013, 04:34:00 AM »
Accurate and to the point.. And the results speak for themselves.

can't stress enough the importance of a well tuned arrow and razor sharp head, and accuracy. Got to get the bread and butter basic's well taken care of before you get to carried away with the rest.

I have to sometimes sit back and wonder why so often advice is taken from some that have just not hunted but are experts "behind the keyboard"...sometimes I think some like the IDEA over the RESULT.   :dunno:  

Have really enjoyed your Elk Articles Randy... got me inspired to get across the pond and try kill a nice one.

3months and ticking? mmm enjoy guys.. ill been there next year!
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Online DWT

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2013, 06:27:00 AM »
I think for the most part guys can separate the difference in advice from someone who read about it once or someone who has dragged their rear up and over many a steep pass at 4am in the morning but im sure it confuses those seeking info with no background or even rudimentary experience in the woods but alas it is the way of the world. Even many of the so called "pro" hunters im sure would struggle without hunting the livestock on their private ranch "hitlists" and its really a great thing to have guys that have time on the ground advice that are willing to share it on this site, great post by the author and spot on from my side of the keyboard.

Online twistedlim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2013, 09:59:00 AM »
Great post Randy.  I totally agree about the well tuned arrow.  The shortest distance between 2 points is a straight line.

Offline Notrace

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2013, 10:41:00 PM »
Randy / experienced others:

What have you experienced where an appropriate/great set-up failed and what can we learn? We hear about single bevels superior cutting capability orheavy bone penetration. Ditto 3 blades and wwiiddee heads for best bloodtrails. EFOC/UEFOC for ultimate momentum/gr.wt. etc.

THIS IS NOT A PICK-APART ACTIVITY......

Offline Notrace

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2013, 10:54:00 PM »
Randy / experienced others:

What have you experienced where an appropriate/great set-up failed and what can we learn? We hear about single bevels' superior cutting capability or heavy bone penetration. Ditto 3 blades and wwiiddee heads for best bloodtrails. EFOC/UEFOC for ultimate momentum/gr.wt. etc.

THIS IS NOT A PICK-APART ACTIVITY......

My - our interest should include sharing when what's "right" still goes wrong.

What have you seen. It is easy to get it right and believe  our set-up is right-on and then one day it isn't. The animal moved, the wind, a branch and I wonder IF ONLY.........

Yes we all make mistakes. Can we learn by sharing some?

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2013, 12:38:00 AM »
I have killed some trees. Somehow I concentrate on the animal so hard that I miss (hit) seeing the tree between me and the critter. First time was on a real dandy bull. I killed an aspen that was about and inch thick. Dead centered it in the kill zone. Second time I killed a 6 inch fir. Don't know how I did not see that one. The bull was slowly walking in and I thunked the tree. He never even paid any attention. Just kept on walking . He made the mistake of stopping in front of me with a second arrow on my bow at 10 yards. That doesn't happen often. I left the arrowhead in the tree for a memorial and visit it everytime I am in the area. It has disappeared now but the scar is still there along with the memory.
God bless you all, Steve

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2013, 07:29:00 AM »
i never killed an elk, never shot at one, and never hunted that species of game.  that's a bucket list item, for sure!  

seems to me, as randy has so well presented, that common sense is all that matters with arrow selection ... as it should be any time we pick up bow and arrow with killing in mind.

all the sensible things we need to consider for a specific hunt applies, with much aforethought about the prey in question.

the rest is up to each of us to think and act accordingly, and responsibly.

good post randy, thanx.    :thumbsup:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©