3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New to trad, help please  (Read 526 times)

Offline PAnative

• Trad Bowhunter
New to trad, help please
« on: May 30, 2013, 03:27:00 PM »
I currently shoot a 68 pound compound and im looking at getting either a 45 or 50 pound Bear Montana for hunting.

I have a 28" draw and will shoot 29.5" arrows. I plan to shoot carbon arrows, main reason being durability. What spine do you recommend? Also what weight broadheads?

any other info regarding arrows and heads are appreciated!
a seahorse is not a horse, and a crossbow is not a bow.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
Re: New to trad, help please
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 03:32:00 PM »
First, let me welcome you to the family and second, I like your tag line.   :bigsmyl:

Someone with more experience will come along and help you with the arrow situation. Good luck and happy shooting.   :wavey:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 04:05:00 PM »
I always get a bit nervous when someone just getting into traditional bowhunting is talking about shooting broadheads...it is quite a bit trickier to achieve consistent hunting level accuracy with a stickbow than it is with a compound...I hope that you are not intending to hunt with a stickbow until you can achieve some consistent accuracy with field style points...depending on what you are shooting now with your compound you may be able to get by with some of those arrows to condition yourself to the longbow and to establish consistent form...you are likely used to shooting relatively light points...in the traditional world we tend to prefer more foc...the lightest broadheads that I currently hunt with are 175 grains and the heaviest are 225 grains

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline PAnative

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 04:09:00 PM »
I hope that you are not intending to hunt with a stickbow until you can achieve some consistent accuracy with field style points... [/QB]
yes obviously...but i do appreciate your help. i was planning on 200gr heads but i just wanted some opinions from guys with more experience

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 04:12:00 PM »
You are looking at a 400 or 500 and the 200gr point will be close. It will take a little bit of work to get tuned up and you may want to buy a couple of each and work towards the goal. Then shoot shoot shoot.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 04:24:00 PM »
Sounds to me like you are on the right track...thinking about what you want and asking good questions in the right place...just a word of warning...I only got into the traditional game about 4 years ago, today own and shoot about 15 bows, and have sold quite a few in that time span in an attempt to reduce my inventory...just seems like there is always another bow calling my name...so far this year I think I have sold two bows and bought two bows...it can be kind of addictive (in a good way)...I have and shoot arrows that range in spine from 500 to 300 (draw weights from 45 to close to 70 pounds at my nominal 30 inch draw length)

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 06:16:00 PM »
A 29.5" arrow with 200gr. head, I would say a .500 spine.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 06:20:00 PM »
Welcome! You have come to the right place.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 02:21:00 AM »
I will agree with the .500 spine, if you stick with the 45-50lbs. But don't cut your shafts to that 29.5" right away. Leave them a little longer, and you'll have room to fine tune them when your form gets a little more consistent. Do lots of research and reading here(the search function is priceless). Get your arrows flying reasonably well, and work on your form! Practice, practice, practice. It takes much more to shoot traditional well than it does a compound. But I'm sure you'll find it much more rewarding and fun to shoot.
Welcome! You've come to the right place. You'll not find a better bunch of people, or a finer resource than Trad Gang!
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline PAnative

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 09:12:00 AM »
advice is much appreciated guys! keep it coming!

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 09:24:00 AM »
Why don't you try and come to one of the rendezvous coming up, and shoot some bows and arrows, this will give you a good look and feel for  the set up you want and that wants you, you can shoot custom bows until your arms fall off, and you'll learn a lot about Trad gear.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 09:30:00 AM »
Welcome and yes, you have definitely come to the right place for help.  But a word of caution on that the advise given at times can be a bit overwhelming...  Don't let it get to you!  As another poster said, use the arrows you have been shooting on your compound first so that you can shoot them fairly consistently.  Once you feel that you are there, then try and tune one of those arrows to see the results you get.  This will provide you a base from which to start.  Another option is to visit one of the shops and/or clubs in your region that works with trad gear a lot.  You could get some varying opinions on tuning methods, but it is another way to get a good base from to start.  The bottom line here is that you need to shoot fairly consistently first, before you tune your arrow to your bow in order to get the best results.  Tuning methods vary slightly but one of the most widely accepted and proven methods is documented by the Easton arrow folks via their website.  If you follow their advice, you will be well on your way!  If you cannot find the information I mention for some reason, PM me here and I can email it to you.  Good Luck and most of all, ENJOY!

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2013, 09:46:00 AM »
Try to hook up with an experienced traditional shooter who can help with carbon arrow tuning. That will be pretty important to your success (and cheaper in the long run). You can post on here that you are looking for a mentor and someone should be able to help you.

I could probably tune a .600, .500 or .400 shaft to shoot out of those weights but there are many factors to consider.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2013, 04:38:00 PM »
Most guys shoot 8-10 gr of arrow wt per lb. of draw weight.  45# bow would be 360 - 450 gr. total arrow weight for best penetration on game.  Also 2 blade broadhead.  

Some people start with arrows full length and trim length to tune (shorter is stiffer).

Make sure you get your archery form squared away ASAP.  Critical for accuracy and shoulder health.

When tuning, make sure the problem is the arrow and not inconsistent form (common mistake).

Most importantly.....Welcome from Texas!
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Offline PAnative

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2013, 10:09:00 AM »
great info guys!  You prefer 2  blade over and 3 and 4?

Offline ddauler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2013, 11:55:00 AM »
The 2 blade idea is for better penetration with fairly light bow weight. I would say as long as they are cut on contact heads all are fine for deer. I also say start with .500 spine.

Welcome from Ga.
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 47# 64"
Ton of selfbows
Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia
PBS Regular Member

"I have been their friend and mortal enemy. I have so loved them that I longed to kill them. But I gave them far more than a fair chance." Will Thompson

Offline PAnative

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2013, 02:01:00 PM »
i got some 160gr Zwickey Eskimo 2blades that weigh 160gr....but i cant find 160 gr field points....any advice?

Offline PAnative

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2013, 02:07:00 PM »
all i can find are 145 and 175

Offline PAnative

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2013, 09:20:00 AM »
ttt

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2013, 09:27:00 AM »
175 field points can be touched to a grinding wheel if you are really worried about 15 grains. But the difference will be minimal or nonexistent. Quite honestly, you will probably never be a good enough shot to tell the difference once the arrows are fletched.

Oh yeah, welcome! Lots of people here who are willing to help out. You found a great place.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©