3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sika deer in MD  (Read 821 times)

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
Sika deer in MD
« on: May 31, 2013, 02:41:00 PM »
I'm in NOVA and usually hunt small private land in MD, so I'll have an MD hunting license.

Anyone here from the area hunt or interested in hunting Sika deer this coming season?

I'm interested in experiences, advice, and anyone who's looking to join up for a hunt. I have no private land in that area of MD so we're talking publiuc land ... from what i understand it's gonna be buggy, wet, and generally tough hunting ... sounds perfect.

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sika deer in MD
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 03:09:00 PM »
I have always wanted to get me a Sika deer!  I'll be keeping up with this thread.
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 03:11:00 PM »
Blaine, I figure since I always end up shooting 75lb deer, this way when I shoot a 75lber it wont be as disappointing haha

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 03:18:00 PM »
From what I understand, between the smell of the poop ( wild horses I think ) and the bugs, it's not a very pleasant experience, but what the hey, go do and see for yourself.

Good luck.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 03:50:00 PM »
Yes.  It's terrible. You'd hate it! Don't bother. He he.

Go to Maryland Whitetails.com website and check out "the wallow". A wealth of info there. Assateague Island is not the only, nor the best place to hunt Sika on the eastern shore.  PM me and I'll send you link the wallow if you can't find it.

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 04:20:00 PM »
Only place you will get that pony smell is Assateaque and there are Sikas there but not as thick as Steve Kendrots backdoor...He's the Sika expert at Blackwater and if you run into Steve you better follow his footprints cause he has some "honey holes" I hear...I'm about 1/2 hour from Steves place and for a batch of blackberrie cobbler or a napped arrowhead I'll point out his house for ya's....Kind of like a drive by and I'll say there he is type of thing   :archer:

Offline Mike Mongelli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 09:32:00 PM »
Sounds like you heard right!  I went for the first time last season and will say it's definitely not for everyone.  There is a sulfur smell at Blackwater, maybe that's what someone was referring to?

Offline shedhunta

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 09:34:00 PM »
Tried them once.  Had a spike under me but property had a forked antler rule.  Very neat and tasty creatures!
Toelke whip 2 piece.  58" 50@28"

Offline MWhitehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 11:53:00 PM »
I'm in! I' generally make the trek a few times a year anyway, and it would be a pleasure to hunt with a fellow TGer. Those bugles are haunting to say the least! I've yet to have one agree with being arrowed, but they are an absolute blast to hunt. Get in touch, and we'll make some plans.

Matt Whitehair
443 480 9044
Matt Whitehair
"'Traditional Archer' is not a term to be taken lightly. It demands respect for ethics, high standards, and an overall, instinctive love for the sport."
-Jim Chinn

Offline Cwilder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2013, 12:01:00 AM »
I'm going to try and hunt them more this year as well. For you out of state guys if you want to save some cash on hotel rental I live just over an hour away from sika country
I love Bow Hunting

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2013, 12:32:00 AM »
Buggy is a huge understatement!!!  Saltmarsh mosquitoes are very, very aggressive, Thermo-cell is a must.

75# is a big sika.  Look for a chocolate Lab or a Chesapeake coming off of the marsh.  If you compare them to a whitetail, you'll pass on the shot.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Yohon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2013, 08:18:00 AM »
SHOOT!!!

Dont shoot  ;)

On second thought if you want THE best tastin venison known to man...you might reconsider!! Keefer would probably miss something that small    :saywhat:
"Take the time to take your time and enjoy the trip." Mike Bolin

Offline Mike Mongelli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2013, 08:40:00 AM »
Looks like a winner either way Yohon.  The second one would be easier to get out    :biglaugh:

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2013, 09:16:00 AM »
oops double post

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2013, 09:17:00 AM »
I did a DYI @ Blackwater last year-- didn't manage to shoot one but it was very cool hearing their sounds and I did call in a stag at one point. It took a day or 2 to get my bearings-- it's a huge place. I am going back this year but with DOA Outfitters (Joe Walsh) who has access to some private land. Definitely worth a try. I noticed the Refuge filled up with hunters on the weekend-- if you can go midweek you'll have it to yourself. PS I'm taking a climber this time--gotta get above that marsh grass.

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2013, 10:10:00 AM »
So, what's the story on them?
How'd they get there? Open to non-resident aliens? Yeah, I'm an alien!
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2013, 10:44:00 AM »

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2013, 11:27:00 AM »
I am moving there in January. You can count me in next year! I will be chasing sikas for sure.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2013, 01:45:00 PM »
Yohan,
 You rascal you I saw that little comment you threw in there ...I was just beginning to like ya..... a little  :readit:    :biglaugh:

Offline Yohon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2013, 02:53:00 PM »
One of the best parts of hunting Sika....a complete sunrise!

"Take the time to take your time and enjoy the trip." Mike Bolin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©