3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sika deer in MD  (Read 820 times)

Offline SAVIOUR68

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sika deer in MD
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2013, 03:25:00 PM »
Hey guys what type of Sika deer do you have in MD looks like a japanese sika due to there small size, S.Texas has several different breeds [4] and the DYbowski sika [biggest] can get up 275pounds down here with big horns.

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2013, 04:36:00 PM »
Ours were brought here from Asia some time ago...The Mini Sika's but they are fun to hunt if you can get on some private land....The public can get overcrowded at times I hear...I used to hunt Assateaque with some fella's back in the early 80's till mid 90's and things have changed down there but Blackwater is the place and Yohan and Steve Really knows the area to go....I think Steve has done a lot of homework on the public areas and YOHAN has some hideaways he keeps to himself but I know what he drives and have some good friends in the D.N.R. that can help me locate him if need be.....  :goldtooth:

Offline Kingsnake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2013, 04:41:00 PM »
Ben-  I have a buddy who lives in MD and nails sika every year.  But he's one of those guys who went from compound to crossbow....not a trad shooter.

I do get an MD license every year, too, so I can get over there for a few whitetail hunts.  If I get one this year and we can figure out the details, I'd be interested.

Doug

Offline SAVIOUR68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2013, 05:10:00 PM »
Keefer is your Sika rut mid Sept in MD. I have shot 2 good Sika bucks before during our whitetail season and there is nothing better then hearing them bugle at sunrise. Makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up    :bigsmyl:

Offline Yohon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2013, 06:01:00 PM »
Our Sika rut seems to peak mid October. Our Sika are the smallest subspecies. I've seen only a handful that dressed over 100 lbs. I'd love to go to Texas and hunt the really BIG Sika.

You take that pretty sunrise and add in the sounds that Sika make during the rut and your days has been made!!!!!   :knothead:
"Take the time to take your time and enjoy the trip." Mike Bolin

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2013, 08:01:00 AM »
Doug, sounds good man, just keep in touch about it.

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2013, 08:18:00 AM »
Uhhh.  Stop talking about 'em, I'm gettin chills.

Highly addictive if you love the marsh.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2013, 09:29:00 AM »
That 90# and 70# weight in the link above is VERY optimistic. I haven't seen many break 75# in 35 years of hunting them. Most are 40-55#. I did shoot a doe (hind if you like hifalootin terms) that weighed 61#, one of the biggest does I've seen at our place.

If you get a crack at ANY Sika with your traditional bow take it. It still will be a trophy. If you read stuff on marylandwhitetail.com they lead you to believe 6 point stags are behind every phragmites bush in the marsh. Not so.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2013, 10:57:00 AM »
Quiet bows are super important.  I shot one this year on the third attempt.  First arrow hit a tree, second arrow was flat out ducked at 15 yards, he came back to see where the commotion was coming from and ate the third one....but he still ducked and it took him through the neck and down the length of the body.  Went 60 yards with an arrow exit beside its tail.

Pound for pound, absolutely the toughest animal I have pursued, and that includes hogs.  I've seen too many walk away in the short time I've hunted them.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Online two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2013, 03:40:00 PM »
Oh Man!  Went once with Mike last year and I will definitely be back!  

x2 on the sunrise!

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2013, 09:17:00 PM »
Won't happen for me this year but I'll get after Sika sooner than latter.  Love the pictures!
   :campfire:
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline Yohon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2013, 08:35:00 AM »
The best one liner I have heard about killin a nice Sika is that "you and him are both going to be wet"  ;)  One of my all time favorites pixs that points that out....

"Take the time to take your time and enjoy the trip." Mike Bolin

Offline straight_arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2013, 07:12:00 PM »
Try Taylors Island, I had a lease there for a number of years.  You'll need to take a ride and talk to locals .  Great whitetail hunting as well.
"They're all trophies"

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2013, 08:06:00 PM »
Mr. Palmer knows a thing or two about sikas.  Love that pic.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2013, 09:06:00 PM »
Don't let this happen to you. My buddy was rifle hunting and shot a deer. I was bowhunting and he called me on the radio at dark to come pick him and deer up. He took the wrong path out and resulted in a long wet dark walk home and a lost armguard and duraglove for me.

Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2013, 11:24:00 PM »
Never got stuck in my boots. Marsh and motors don't mix! A few from over the years.

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

The one that got away....
 [/URL]

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2013, 11:31:00 PM »
Steve,

I think I remember that stag on the bike!!
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2013, 11:49:00 PM »
I know I do Phil! How's the bow making going? Just finishing up my first self bow. Hope to take a stag with it!!

Offline Cwilder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2013, 07:49:00 AM »
The one that got away is a stud
I love Bow Hunting

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2013, 12:11:00 PM »
Thanx for sharing....

Looks like the hide would be neat looking tanned...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©