3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sika deer in MD  (Read 822 times)

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sika deer in MD
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2013, 01:00:00 PM »
Actually.  The one that got away was gotten by a buddy on opening day of early muzz.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2013, 05:38:00 AM »
Beautiful critters. How in the world do you hunt them? Calling, food sources?

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2013, 07:05:00 AM »
They have vocalizations similar to an elk and respond pretty well to calling.  They love corn, but like their feet wet at the same time so you've got to be creative (pallets with carpet and a barrel out in the marsh works).  Trails are easy to find, but look like they were made by rabbits.

Last year I waited at the waters edge until I could hear them moving and then tried to cut them off.  Tree stands are best probably cause the terrain is thick.  They're flighty and nervous, but seem more curious than a WT.

This will only be my third or fourth year hunting them so I'm still kind of a rookie.  From what I've seen, think elk......and I've never hunted elk.  They also use wallows.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2013, 08:43:00 AM »
I've found that they have a tendency to not stick to trails as much as whitetails, instead wander through general areas. If you can find a discernable trail being used then by all means hunt it. But since a lot of the hunting area is under water trails are hard to identify.

Public land does not allow baiting but most private lands surrounding it are heavily baited most of the season.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline inthere10x

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2013, 03:35:00 PM »
My son (16yr old) won 3 day hunt w/ an outfitter through the PA Longbow Association. We'll be headed down in mid November, anything special we should take or do to prepare.

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2013, 07:42:00 PM »
Steve great photos! Looks like you have had pretty good luck chasing these guys. That last one is a monster!
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©