3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Woodie arrow weight question  (Read 249 times)

Offline critman

• Trad Bowhunter
Woodie arrow weight question
« on: May 31, 2013, 09:35:00 PM »
Finally bought some POC shafts from 3R's and took the woodie plunge.  Man, these arrows fly great! They were not weight grouped and after weighing the finished arrows I do have some 40+ grain differences. Have any of ya'll found this much weight difference to affect your shooting? I am pretty comfortable out to 30 yds or so but haven't shot them enough yet to tell if its just me or they definetly fly different. Here's some pics of my first arrows in two different styles. Whatcha' think?

Offline Mike Most

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Woodie arrow weight question
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 11:31:00 PM »
For me if I see a significant difference in weight, every so often when I shoot that particular arrow, it will drop 6 inches or so and I attribute it to that weight difference. (thats when the rest of the group is slapping feathers)
"It Shall be Life" (Ten Bears to Josie Wales)
------------------                Michael Most-Adkins Texas

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 07:40:00 AM »
Fantastic job on those ill let the experts chime in 40 grains is  quite a bit range

:smileystooges:    :clapper:    :clapper:

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 11:13:00 AM »
Nice job on the arrows, they look pretty good from here.  POC weight can vary 100 grains within a 5 lb spine range and I've seen 150 grains with Douglas Fir.  Within closer hunting ranges the effect of 40 grains will be minimal.  If you are looking to shoot tight groups at 20 yds plus, then you are going to want them matched closer, like 10 grains total spread.  

Spine is also important.  With paper tuning, I can see when I get outside of a 3 lb range; fletching will straighten up a couple pounds outside that.  Most wood shafting is sold in groups like 55-60 lb and that is a 6 lb spread.  I like them matched closer.  Most dealers that hand spine will match to true 5 lb spread, ie 55-59, or even closer if requested.  Paul Jalon of Elite Arrows routinely matches to 3 lb.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 11:36:00 AM »
Very nice!   :thumbsup:   I've found that if you are dipping your finish, you can get a little closer weights by keeping track as you go and re-dipping any lighter shafts. At least with Bohning finishes that are not thinned, haven't tried dipping with anything else.

I don't worry about being so precise nowadays unless I'm making a buddy some arrows.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline PRK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 11:55:00 AM »
I always buy my cedar shafts spined within 5 lbs, matched within 10 grains, and hand straightened.  You pay a little extra but get 12 useable shafts that don't need much extra straightening.
Paul

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 06:45:00 PM »
Nice job on the arrows looks like you are well on your way to complete and hopeless addiction. If you have enough shafts you can match them as close as your patience will allow. Buying in large quantities often gets you a deal too. I have one cedar shaft that weighs 569 grains-11/32, 70/75. Still waiting on the other 11 to complete that bunch!   :bigsmyl:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©