3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What say ye new '59 Kodiak owners?  (Read 1224 times)

Offline Gerry

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What say ye new '59 Kodiak owners?
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2013, 07:06:00 PM »
For the guys in Michigan - Schubachs in Jackson has 2 a 40# and I think a 50# both righties.  I was there yesterday.

Offline stabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2013, 07:19:00 PM »
I have a 45# lefty but might pick up a 50# someday
The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you come home.

Offline tomwatson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2013, 01:02:00 PM »
Also, for the guys in Michigan. Bear Archery is donating a new 59 Kodiak to the Michigan Traditional Bowhunters Jamboree on June 22, 23, in Grayling, MI. There will be a raffle to find its new owner. Winner has choice of Right or Left hand and Poundage.

Tom
“To chase game with the ghosts of other hunters from other times-that's all he really asks." - The Restless Spirit.

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2013, 11:30:00 PM »
Alan, guess what I picked up at Cloverdale yesterday.  :bigsmyl:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline stabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2013, 07:18:00 AM »
David keep me in mind when you put it up for sale...... :)

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2013, 07:26:00 AM »
HA! HA!  What do you mean "put it up for sale, Boyd????"   :confused:  You know I never sell anything.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline AlanF

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2013, 02:25:00 PM »
Dave, you've got to give more details...
"You uncovered your bow, you called for many arrows." Habakkuk 3:9

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2013, 03:11:00 PM »
Well, if I must.....I figured no way would anybody at Cloverdale have a Kodiak that would fit me.  Left handed and about 45#.  So I walk into Lost Nation's booth and what to my wondering eyes should appear but a left handed Kodiak--with the prettiest rosewood in the riser that I have seen.  Figured it would be the wrong weight--checked that and she's marked 50#.  Well, not too bad, so I tell Larry, "You know if that was a 45#er I would probably be hooked."  Old Larry says, "What if I told you that it is actually 47#?"  Oh, man, right on the money.....so we string her up and she sure did feel like something I could manage so off to the try-out bales we go, and do you know what?  That little bow flung arrows like there was no tomorrow.  Out came the wallet and before I knew it we were strolling out of that tent hand-in-riser.     :D   Will this happy couple live happily ever after?  We'll have to see about that, but I assure you this little bow is the equal to anything I have had in the recurve line over the years and that includes a bunch of top maker bows. Ahhhh.....life is good. Now Comptons is coming up this coming week and my bow budget is SHOT!

Offline stabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2013, 03:18:00 PM »
David  they are hard to put down once you pick one up......stabow

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2013, 03:47:00 PM »
Yeah, I know, that's why it followed me home.  :biglaugh:

Offline AlanF

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2013, 05:53:00 AM »
Sounds like it was love at first sight  :archer:

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2013, 08:21:00 AM »
That about describes it, Alan.  I shot one at Baltimore and just kept wanting to shoot one more group before I returned it to the Bear booth.

Offline AlanF

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2013, 08:52:00 AM »
Dave, I'd be interested in hearing what you shotting out of your Kodiak.  I've got my eye on a nice 40@28 Kodiak and I'm thinking about trying the Legacy 1916 shafts with a 125 or 145 head.

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2013, 10:22:00 AM »
That should work great.  I'm shooting what I shoot out of everything I own--Gold Tip 3555 traditionals--175 grains out front.  But I have no doubt this bow will shoot 2016s just as well--that's another shaft I have found shoots well out of any of my bows--I usually have 125 grains on them.  Don't let that bow sit too long or someone else will snatch it up--they tend to go fast. Larry at Lost Nation had ordered this one last October and had it for only a couple or three weeks.

Ellen and I are headed to Indiana to visit our son and family tomorrow and stay through Fathers' Day.  Plan is to sneak off Thursday AM for the Compton event in Mich. which is only about 2 hours from his house. He will be busy at his optometry practice since he and his wife are on a little vacation for just the two of them until tomorrow--Grand Cayman!  The 8 year-old granddaughter is with us and her sister is with the other grandparents.  We're having a ball!   :D   You just can let grandkids do stuff you never would allow your own kids to do--like make s'mores an hour before supper.   :saywhat:      :rolleyes:      :D  

I'll let you know how this event goes.......Dave

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2013, 04:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by David Mitchell:
Well, if I must.....I figured no way would anybody at Cloverdale have a Kodiak that would fit me.  Left handed and about 45#.  So I walk into Lost Nation's booth and what to my wondering eyes should appear but a left handed Kodiak--with the prettiest rosewood in the riser that I have seen.  Figured it would be the wrong weight--checked that and she's marked 50#.  Well, not too bad, so I tell Larry, "You know if that was a 45#er I would probably be hooked."  Old Larry says, "What if I told you that it is actually 47#?"  Oh, man, right on the money.....so we string her up and she sure did feel like something I could manage so off to the try-out bales we go, and do you know what?  That little bow flung arrows like there was no tomorrow.  Out came the wallet and before I knew it we were strolling out of that tent hand-in-riser.      :D    Will this happy couple live happily ever after?  We'll have to see about that, but I assure you this little bow is the equal to anything I have had in the recurve line over the years and that includes a bunch of top maker bows. Ahhhh.....life is good. Now Comptons is coming up this coming week and my bow budget is SHOT!
:thumbsup:
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2013, 07:25:00 PM »
David Mitchell...that is a GREAT story...! A man who puts his money where his mouth is.....glad to hear it..! I have 3 Ed holcomb Bear 59' repros and want to shoot one of these new bears....sooo glad to see they actually listened to the public and brought this classic back out...!!! Really glad to see they are good performers....kudos to Bear Archery for doing it and guys like you for supporting it....jackdaw
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2013, 08:48:00 PM »
Jackdaw, I have a Talon Swift recurve that Dave Paxton built several years ago patterned after the '59 Kodiak as well.  Extrmemly similar bows but the new Bear is a sweeter shooter in my opinion.  I too am glad Bear has brought this one back.  Talking with the Bear reps at Cloverdale I commented on the great finish on this bow.  They told me that the finish takes 6 days to do--six separate coats with sanding in between.  You can almost see your reflection in it.  One of the best finishes I have seen on any bow.  It sure is good to see Bear making a come back.

Offline NIGEL01

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2013, 02:33:00 AM »
Just got mine yesterday, been waiting on a backorder list since April, but diligently checked the internet daily till I found one.  It's a beauty!  If they put that finish on all their Grayling greenies and got rid of the quiver bushing they'd probably sell more IMO.  If they ever put that finish on a take down I'd be putting in an order.

Offline Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2013, 06:34:00 AM »
I am taking mine to northern Michigan on vacation and the Michigan Traditional Bowhunters shoot in Grayling just happens to be the last weekend of our vacation (June 2-23).  It just seems right to shoot it at the old Bear grounds at Hansen Hills.

Mine is 50# @ 28 and I draw just under 30.  I shoot 30 1/8 inch 1918s with 145 grain heads or 2016s with 175 grain heads.  I haven't made up any woodies for it yet.

D.P.

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2013, 08:04:00 AM »
Dave, Nice article in MTB magazine.  If I see you over there with that bow, I might ask to fling an arrow. One of these bows is pretty high on my wish list.  I took my 1971 Super K that I got last winter to Grayling last June to shoot the painted target course. It just seemed like the right thing to do.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©