3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Early season deer hunting tick repelant that won't get you busted?  (Read 631 times)

Offline Arkansas Osage

• Trad Bowhunter
So deer season starts here in early september and the ticks will still be out and about with a vengance. Just wondering what you guys use to keep the ticks off as much as possible, without dousing yourself in chemicals that would drive every whitetail within 400 yards to a different county?
"Now take thy weapons, thy quiver of arrows & thy bow & go out to the field, & hunt some venison."

"I caught the caimans on a cane pole baited with hotdogs. I beat them to death with a stick and skinned them with my bare teeth." -dhaverstick

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Early season deer hunting tick repelant that won't get you busted?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 03:26:00 AM »
Permetherine soak/spray then  wash without soap and leave in you're  big bag of leaves and such.

Offline Arkansas Osage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 06:04:00 AM »
I'll have to check Permetherine out.

Any other ideas? I know u guys just don't get covered in ticks when you go, so how do u stay tick free and not get winded by the deer from bug spray?
"Now take thy weapons, thy quiver of arrows & thy bow & go out to the field, & hunt some venison."

"I caught the caimans on a cane pole baited with hotdogs. I beat them to death with a stick and skinned them with my bare teeth." -dhaverstick

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 08:15:00 AM »
Gotta use the permethrine spray. Spray it on your clothes HEAVY and let them dry outside a couple of days. Get it at Wally World etc. go ahead and spray em down with your no scent spray before hunting. It's still effective and scent free.
Romans 8:28

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 08:36:00 AM »
You do realize that it's the smell of the human wearing the repellant that spooks critters and not the repellant itself?
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 09:03:00 AM »
Take a shower with enzymatic soap head to toe, always check the wind.  Never wear your hunting boots anywhere other than the woods. You will be fine using pure DEET or one I like that is all natural and just smells like herbs/lemongrass/rosemary is called "Herbal Armor".
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 09:33:00 AM »
I have had several deer (including a mature doe)actually trail me, sniffing every bush I rubbed against, while I was using a permethrine spray on my clothes.  I agree 100% with Charlie.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Kamm1004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 09:38:00 AM »
anyone ever used those bracelets with cintronella oil in them? I know they repell mosquitos but I don't know about ticks. Just curious if cintronella oil will get you busted. They are supposed to work better than deet though.
Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and your bow and go out into the open country to hunt some wild game for me.- Genesis 27:3

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 10:21:00 AM »
Yup- humans smell like humans.  Chemicals smell like chemicals. . .
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline bigiron

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 11:29:00 AM »
me thinks he meant opens in september not february. i hope

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 11:49:00 AM »
Badgers, all natural bug spray, you can spray it all over the kids, and that's on their skin too, and it works great. Definitely also use the Permithrine also on your clothes, and like others have said, PLAY THE WIND !
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline dougedwards

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 12:01:00 PM »
Originally used for termite control the synthetic cousin to permethrin which is bifienthrin is less toxic and is even used to kill insects in restaurants and food preparation areas.

It can be irritating if sprayed directly on the skin but no long term affects.  Kills ticks dead within moments to exposure by attacking the nervous system of the organism.

http://pestcontrolpross.com/cart/masterline-bifenthrin-79-insecticide-32-oz-quart-p-66.html
But you brethren are not of the flesh but of the Spirit if indeed the Spirit of Christ lives within you. Romans 8

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 12:06:00 PM »
If deer season in Arkansas opens in February, I might just have more time to deer hunt now!  :bigsmyl:  

I think the permethrine is the way to go.

Bisch

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 12:08:00 PM »
Deer season STARTS in February ?
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2013, 12:09:00 PM »
Bisch great minds think alike buddy!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Arkansas Osage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2013, 06:05:00 PM »
Sorry meant opens in september and closes in febuary, usually by the time february starts to wind down the ticks are coming back out depending on how cold its been. But in sepetember and actober there usually still out quite a bit.

Yes I know deer smell humans and spook, but the smell of DEET is so repulsive to me I thought it would surely spook a deer sooner than a human scent, which they seem just fine with every time they come in my yard lol. Until its hunting season anyway lol.

One guy I know over in tennesse told they fill socks with lye power and then swing it against their ankles, legs and back to distribute the powder as a tick repellant. I was looking for other remedies such as that. Anybody do that?

Offline USMC0311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2013, 06:42:00 PM »
Sawyers tick spray, me and the gf sprayed our clothes. When we went turkey hunting my brother did not. We never found on on us, my brother found about 15.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2013, 06:50:00 PM »
Any of the down wind variety.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2013, 04:56:00 AM »
I just use my dogs flee and tick spray. Not even sure the brand.If its safe for him should be safe for me.I think animals still smell the human scent even when you have other stuff on . I realy hate ticks, little gross blood suckers.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2013, 11:18:00 AM »
I haven't had any luck with DEET and ticks.  Skeeters sure, but not ticks.  Only thing that seems to help with ticks is permethrin.  Stuff scares me, but it works.

I usually just clean up immediately after hunting and look hard for ticks.  They have to stay attached for quite a while to transmit Lyme's, so I make an effort to find 'em fast.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©