3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear Quest 7, Start Your Engines!!!!  (Read 3844 times)

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Quest 7, Start Your Engines!!!!
« Reply #140 on: June 19, 2013, 07:54:00 AM »
Great shots Mike! The one of you hand tells the bug story better than I can find words for. I am going to have to show that one around,LOL.

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #141 on: June 19, 2013, 07:56:00 AM »
On the holy water note, it worked for sure. Bows were blessed shortly before I shot my bear.

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #142 on: June 19, 2013, 01:33:00 PM »
Come on guys!!!  There's gotta be more. You can work later!!!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #143 on: June 19, 2013, 10:17:00 PM »
Great stories so far!!

Congrats, guys, on some fine kills.

I'm sure there are more tales to tell!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #144 on: June 20, 2013, 03:07:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing the stories, keep'm coming.

Offline Coonbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #145 on: June 20, 2013, 07:04:00 PM »
Great going !  Keep the stories rolling.
Glenn

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #146 on: June 20, 2013, 09:34:00 PM »
Can't wait to hear the tales from this past week.  Really hoping Edward and Dwight (see) had good luck.  Met them at the big trad. shoot here and really hope all Edwards hard work paid off.

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #147 on: June 21, 2013, 06:01:00 AM »
These forums are a great opportunity for both entertainment and educational values. The timing is right this morning so please bear with me (no pun intended). Last year I was unable to make BQ because of health issues. This year the same thing. This spring was slightly easier for me as I saw it coming and had time to prepare for my disappointment. At any rate, hunting in LaTouque with Tom Phillips and his crew is an honor a lot of people take advantage of, yet a lot of people let the opportunity slip away. This annual
thread is anxiously looked forward to not only for the entertainment but nostalgic values. I found it really interesting the Resurrection stand seemed in a slump. In fact I find it really hard to believe something not so obvious was different or wrong. A handful of previous guys who have hunted the stand can relate well to what I'm about to say but hopefully the rest will maybe consider some insight for future reference. About two thirds of the way into the present stand from the road you'll pass where the original Resurrection stand was. In fact, it's movement, I understand resulted in the stand name. It was a very wise move. Although Tom has some outstanding stand locations, in my opinion I think the Resurrection is one of the best. And I'll tell you why. Bears will use all three senses when approaching a bait. The exact location, winds and time of the year will dictate their approach. Before the vegetation gets too thick they rely on their eyes when approaching the stand. I it tends to be windy and everything is moving they'll rely on their noses and if it's quiet but they can't see they'll rely on their ears. Their approach is extremely important to them not only because of possible human confrontations at the bait but serious confrontations with other bears and the pecking order. Be right back. BW

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #148 on: June 21, 2013, 06:51:00 AM »
I'm a little embarrassed to say I can't remember the exact compass reading at the Resurrection. If I recall correctly you enter basically from the east and the barrel sits straight west of the stand placement. Let's use those points as a reference for examples sake. The stand is placed in one of three trees just east of the barrel. The tree I prefer is the center one because it sets just a couple feet back and hides you better. When the stand is in the one on your left many bears that approach from behind you to the left will bust you because of the more obvious profile. The center tree eliminates that problem. The "secret" to the baits success is the location. Unless you walk around it's not so obvious. Tom's already done that for you so just trust him. The stand sits just east of a slight ridge line that runs north/south. That little ridge sits between the swampy area you cross when walking in and a series of grown over clear-cuts to the west. It's a perfect travel pattern for bears cruising. Especially for boars cruising for sows. I'm also convinced you'll see some of the same bears at the Deli Stand that you see at the Resurrection. It's in the pattern. The gradual slope behind, west of the Resurrection is an opportunity for bears to approach above the barrel and actually be able to see other activity around the bait. This is especially true the first week and/or years when the vegetation hasn't filled in so much yet. After the understory gets thick they will tend to approach more from the east and use their noses over their eyes. If there's little wind they'll purposely break branches on their approach in order to warn other bears they are coming. This is all done to minimize potential deadly confrontations. I like to put out two satellite piles of bait in addition to the barrel. When I approach the stand I put about a third of my bait right in the barrel which is directly west of the treestand. I also put about 1/3 in a little pile about 10-12 yds. to the SW and  anoher thirdNW of the treestand  (if the barrel is at 12 o'clock the satillite piles are at 10 and 2). These are important. If you have a big boar traveling with a hot sow and all your bait is in the barrel he will often lay off to the side 25 yds. and watch her eat. Then when she leaves he will leave and never offer you the shot. If you have a secondary satillite pile just off to the side the 10 or 12 yard buffer will allow him to let her eat at the barrel and at the same time not compeat with her at the same barrel. It's all just common sense. So when the foliage is thinner they'll approach either from the west, NW, SW or south (from that dark timber where the canopy prevents thicker understory and better vision). Then when the vegetation thickens they'll tend to approach from the east, NE or SE using their noses or from the south using their eyes becuse of the minimal understory there. I've hunted bears all over the U.S. and Canada for many years. The biggest black I've ever seen was at the Resurrection stand. Years will vary but adapt and give it time because it's a great stand and a great hunt. Thanks Tom! Have fun and hunt safe. UB

Offline hockey7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #149 on: June 21, 2013, 07:15:00 AM »
Am always amazed at how BW has the ability to pick apart the geography, and pay attention to every detail for optimum opportunities.

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #150 on: June 21, 2013, 09:40:00 AM »
Hey UB, It was tough for me to miss this one as well, especially because it was due to an avoidable accident.  Last year was a great time, and I was able to connect on my first bear in 6 try's! For me the hunt was almost secondary.  the guys in camp were great! Anyone who is on the fence about doing it.....just jump, you wont regret it!!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #151 on: June 21, 2013, 10:06:00 AM »
Second week guys should be posting soon, can't wait.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #152 on: June 21, 2013, 02:55:00 PM »
That's good stuff Uncle Bear-ey!

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #153 on: June 21, 2013, 04:12:00 PM »
There are hunters ....... and then there is UB .......  he's more of a predator!  Thanks for taking it up a notch UB!!  

I have friends like that,  they see every detail, and know how to adapt!
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #154 on: June 22, 2013, 12:14:00 PM »
Hopefully a week 2 guy will post tonight, just to give us a hint!!!!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #155 on: June 23, 2013, 05:33:00 PM »
Can't wait for the weeks two reports. I'm sure they had a great week   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #156 on: June 23, 2013, 08:20:00 PM »
Me too. I bet the Resurrection didn't turn on until the last day or so. UB

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #157 on: June 23, 2013, 08:22:00 PM »
Checking the thread every 30 minutes or so myself, LOL.

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #158 on: June 23, 2013, 08:32:00 PM »
Barry,
Ya know if you just walk the roads, you can sniff out which baits have Big Bears on 'em.  That's all I do   :laughing:
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #159 on: June 23, 2013, 08:52:00 PM »
You know what Doc, I believe it!!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement