3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear Quest 7, Start Your Engines!!!!  (Read 3839 times)

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Quest 7, Start Your Engines!!!!
« Reply #160 on: June 23, 2013, 08:53:00 PM »
I heard a lil bit. Theres stories to be told.

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #161 on: June 23, 2013, 08:58:00 PM »
Here's Bill Terry's bear from week one. I don't think Bill's on Trad Gang, since he's never posted on the previous year's Bear Quest threads. I never thought about it until Ed posted it but Bill does bear a resemblance to the Dos Equis beer guy. The Most Interesting Man in the World. Bill took his bear with a self bow of his own making along with a trade point tipped arrow he made.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #162 on: June 23, 2013, 09:12:00 PM »
I'd have to live to be 200 to accomplish what Bill has done with a stickbow in his hunting career. His trophy room is remarkable.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline oldgoat

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #163 on: June 23, 2013, 09:31:00 PM »
The greatest trip I've ever been on. Maybe a little slow this year according to Tom but beyond great for my first bear hunt. Not getting but 1 hr sleep since we left Bear camp yesterday maybe Bisch or Caddo will fill in the blanks. Also Bisch has the correct spelling of Bowdoc's first name. He let all know. Again thanks to all .
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #164 on: June 23, 2013, 10:01:00 PM »
Mike, If I remember correctly, I believe that Bill Terry told me that the bear that he took last year was his 300th big game animal.  He is a pretty interesting guy.

Com'on Oldgoat.....sleeps over rated!!!  :jumper:
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #165 on: June 23, 2013, 10:32:00 PM »
Great shot of Bill and his bear Mike. I think Bill told me that bear was his three hundred and fourteenth animal with a longbow. The photos of his trophy room were amazing.

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #166 on: June 23, 2013, 11:16:00 PM »
And Bill's just coming into his prime. Give him another season or three and he'll be all warmed up and ready to hunt. UB

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #167 on: June 24, 2013, 08:11:00 AM »
Congratulations guys! Nice pics all round.  I sat Deli on BQ1 and I'm looking forward to hearing how week two went at that spot.  Sure do want to get back up there soon
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #168 on: June 24, 2013, 08:14:00 AM »
Ray,
We sat the Deli together when you filmed me.  Now that I know some Redfish hidding spots, I need to get back too!
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #169 on: June 24, 2013, 09:50:00 AM »
Ohhhhh that's right.   Well which one did I sit Jeff?
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Caddo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #170 on: June 24, 2013, 12:03:00 PM »
Another amazing BQ in the books! As usual, Tom did a fantastic job, with a little help from Zack Crossland. Thanks guys, you made this hunt another special one. Then there's the incomperable Bowdoc! What can I say that hasen't already been said except, "He ain't right"! Bowdoc, love ya like a brother from another mother!
  We did have a bit of an experience when we got to the boarder that started this adventure off on the right note. The Custome Agent asked us all if we had ever been to Canada before. I told him yes, multiple times. Bisch told him yes, also. He asked Bob if he had been and Bob resoundingly said "Nope, first time". I guess they thought that we needed closer scrutiny so we were all invited inside for a chat. Not sure if it was the fact that we had three Texans driving a vehicle with New York plates on it coming into Canada to hunt bears with bows and arrows, or what. After a few minutes of questioning on exactly what states we had lived in our entire lives, they must have determined that we weren't a threat and let us in. A couple hours later, as we're driving along, carrying on multiple hunting adventure stories, Bob says "yeah, on my fishing trip to Ontario...." I almost ran off the raod, Bisch yells "What? You just told the Customs guys at the boarder that this was your first time coming into Canada!" Bob calmly replies " It is, I told you that I went to Ontario." I guess they don't raise any Geography Experts in Sonora, Texas, so Bob immediately became butt of our harrassment for the rest of the trip!
 Week two started out cold and rainy. After the all night drive up from Tom's with Bisch and Old Goat (Bob), along with Jay, Dwight and Edward in the other truck, I wasn't up for the Sat. night hunt. I knew that the chances of taking a header out of the stand were pretty good, so I elected to enjoy the company of Bowdoc and Jeff, instead.
 Sunday found it rainy, windy and cold. I think the high that day was 53. Now that probably doesn't seem too bad for some of you folks, but for this Texas boy, it meant a dry night in the cabin!
 Monday was my first hunt on the "Glove". Walking in that night, as I was scanning the bait sight I noticed that the barrel seemed to covered up by something black! Since I always like to refresh the bait when I go in to hunt, I was trying to quietly set down the bag of donuts and get low, out of sight. As I got an arrow on the string and peered back up over the little hill in the trail, the black spot woofed and ran off to the right. I never did get a good look at it, but I waited for 15-20 min. to see how far it might have run off or if it would come back. It never reappeared so as quietly as I could, I climbed up in the stand to see what the rest of the night would bring. Turned out to be a lonely rest of the night.
 Hunted the Glove Tuesday and Wednesday. Finally had, what I assume was the same bear from Monday, come back in about 5:15 Wednesday night. It appeared to be a smallish bear, 120-130 lbs. so it got a Pass.
  Thursday I moved over to the Sundown and had another peacefull, lonely night guarding the donuts.
  Friday night was do or die night and I was back on the Sundown. Had a nice 140-150 lb. boar come in very cautiously about 7:50. He came in to about 10-12 yards, right behind a huge Birch tree, then peeked around the side and looked directly at me. I'd seen him coming in throught the foliage and was ready, but he still didn't like it and ran off, back up the hill, woofing all the way. After I got a good look at him and determined that he wasn't a shooter, for me, We kind of played hide and seek the rest of the night. He'd circle the bait three or four times, getting a little closer each time, from a different direction, but he was still courious about that thing was hanging on the side of the tree. Each time he'd run off a little bit a sit and woof  before he made his next attempt. When I heard Zack coming in the boat I had to run him off a little ways so we could pull the tree stand down. last I saw, he was sitting up the hill about 20-30 yards away watching us pull the stand. I'm sure he was on the groceries before we got everything loaded in the boat.
  This hunt is definately on my list and I'll be back next year and as many years as possible.
  Bear camp with all of these guys was an absolute blast, bear killed or not!

If you haven't experianced a BQ hunt, you have no idea what you are missing! Hope to see all of the week two folks again, next year!

LD
"If your gonna kick a tiger in the butt, you better have a plan for dealing with his teeth!

Offline oldgoat

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #171 on: June 24, 2013, 01:34:00 PM »
Just got up,had a return trip from zzzz so had to catch up on sleep. What a blast not only the hunt but the guys. Caddo and Bisch were the greatest to travel with. Maybe Bisch will fill y'all in cant down load pictures ,lost cable. I hunted mile marker 41 stand two days with 6 cubs and two sows that came in. When I say IN I mean 7 or 8 yards from stand to bait barrel and when you see bear they are inside of 20 yds. Stayed in camp one day because of rain and had fun listing to Bowdoc and Caddo go at it. The weather was cooler than normal with the nights getting down in the lower 40's. Switched to a water bait, Blowdown, the next hunt . Got in the stand about 3:30 pm ,lots of squirrels and birds until about about 8:00 , I see two small cubs come out on the trail that I've got to go back on,and I am thinking this may not be good. The guide was chased back to the lake and had to go out into the water before Mama would leave. I knew that was not going tobe an option for me. Well out tsteps Mama behind the little guys sticks her nose up and smells around a little then turns and leaves with her cubs. That was a relief but I still had to go down that trail in the dark. I look back to my left and there is the head and shoulders of a bear looking around a spruce tree at the bait barrel or me. It walks out at about 25yds and looks right me and process what bear do in the woods! Then when it's all done here it come not strait to the barrel but circling around to my left then starts popping his teeth and watching me. I then can tell he is a boar at about 200 lbs. remember this is my First bear hunt, if he comes on in I will try and get a shot . This back and forth,teeth popping stuff is going on for a good 15 mins. All the time getting closer to the barrel and me 8ft up a tree that he can easily reach if he wants to. I am hoping he wants donut and sugar more than he wants fat and Budlite. I found that I have to much time to think when setting in a tree stand about stuff that could happen. Well I am ready for the shot and he finally sticks his head in the barrel game on I am telling myself, self slow draw hold hold I start to draw real slow pick a spot high and lined up with the off leg. BAM, the bow goes off by itself,I don't think I even got close to anchor , saw the arrow lets just say a little back and very high. I had a string tracker on and it looked like I had a bonefish on down the trail it went. 8:4m is what my watch says when the string stops, ok it broke, then someone for sme reason hooks a paint can shaker not only to the stand but the hole **** tree, I have to hold on till this stops. Remember , Bisch is not the only one with hearing aids and my batteries are died. I think I hear a maybe death moan. 9:00pm I got to get on solid ground so down I go put headlight on look and see two strings one red one white good, start down the string and it turns off the trail and ther is a Very dead bear. Bears not only do very large ground shrinkage but also can do a sex change. 24yds recovery 30yds drag down hill. This was beyond a great trip, first bear,first trad kill, and maybe first time to Canada. Will post pictures soon may Bisch will also, dry sow 129 lbs .
Thanks LD but lets try to stay on topic bear hunting not Other stuff. See lay Amigo. Bob
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #172 on: June 24, 2013, 01:36:00 PM »
Great story Larry, and you hit the nail on the head, Bear Quest is a great time, bear or no bear.

Offline Caddo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #173 on: June 24, 2013, 02:10:00 PM »
Bob,
  Look at it this way, you've got a new signature line to add to your postings!  :bigsmyl:  

LD
"If your gonna kick a tiger in the butt, you better have a plan for dealing with his teeth!

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #174 on: June 24, 2013, 02:27:00 PM »
Cool story Bob. Congrats on the bear!

Offline oldgoat

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #175 on: June 24, 2013, 02:40:00 PM »
Thanks  y'all , but the coolest story I think is that Zack took his bear with a stone point stopped on the off shoulder. Now that was great.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #176 on: June 24, 2013, 04:06:00 PM »
Big congrats to Zach. Man that guy was enthusiastic and worked his butt off for everyone. I think he carried just about everyones bear out by himself on week one.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #177 on: June 24, 2013, 08:25:00 PM »
Great story!!!  looking forward to the pics.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline AR RidgeRunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #178 on: June 24, 2013, 08:25:00 PM »
Congrats Bob. Sounds like you had a great week. Glad to hear Zach killed a bear with a stone point, can't wait to hear the story on that one. He deserved it, especially after being treed by the sow and cubs the first week. Gotta love bear hunting. I'm hooked!

Offline Pierre Lucas

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #179 on: June 25, 2013, 10:19:00 AM »
Originally posted by Caddo:

This hunt is definately on my list and I'll be back next year and as many years as possible.
  Bear camp with all of these guys was an absolute blast, bear killed or not!

If you haven't experianced a BQ hunt, you have no idea what you are missing! Hope to see all of the week two folks again, next year!

LD
LD,

you said it....JP and I are missing it big time...we've been reminiscing all week about last year.  Got to get him through college and we will be back..lord willing.  
   :campfire:    

God Bless,   Pierre
>>>--TGMM Family of the Bow---->

"if you're not living on the edge, you're taking up to much space..." God Knows!
>>>----->  SBD...Bow Strings ..."not just another bow string"   www.sbdbowstrings.com

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©