3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow Length?  (Read 347 times)

Offline Dallas

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow Length?
« on: June 02, 2013, 09:38:00 AM »
Is there any disadvantage to leaving wood arrows full length as opposed to cutting off for draw length?  Assuming the spine is sufficient to give good flight at full length.

The reasoning for leaving them long would be to maintain all the weight possible.  Any thoughts?

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow Length?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 10:18:00 AM »
I like them cut with a half inch clearance from the back of the bow. Just feel that they are more stable. No science behind that, just personal preference.

The few grains of weight you'd save leaving them full length would hardly be worth worrying about.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 11:24:00 AM »
X2 what Charlie said. Personally I can't stand all that extra length sticking out at full draw and in the quiver. Just my 2 cents. If it works for you and you like it then that's all that matters. Roll with it.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 11:48:00 AM »
I hate 'em if they are too short-other than that I like perfect flight.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 12:48:00 PM »
I used to like my arrows about an inch longer then my draw with wood and aluminum.They have enough available spines where you can work that out.But with carbons they don't have as many different spines as other arrow materials.With carbons you basically adjust the dynamic spine by length and point weight after picking out a starting static spine.I let my tuning determine their final length.I bought some used carbons that were an inch past my draw and were showing alittle stiff.So I thought I could just add more front end weight to weaken the spine.They got worse the more weight I added,they were in effect bouncing off the riser instead of flexing around it.I did tune the same spine carbon to that bow but they ended up about two inches longer then the used ones I had bought.This was on a longbow cut about a 1/8" off center.They probably would have tuned on a recurve with a riser cut past center.I find carbons more sensitive to length on bows cut off center then recurves cut past center.I would rather have my arrows tuned well then worry about their length with carbons.I've seen plenty of used carbons for sale that were just cut to length and they couldn't get them to fly well no matter what they did.It turned a lot of new carbon arrow shooters off carbon arrows,they are a whole different animal when tuning to stickbows in my opinion.

Online Stealth Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 09:32:00 PM »
Charlie,  with half inch clearence do the broad heads hit your finger?

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 11:27:00 PM »
Never!!
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 12:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bjorn:
I hate 'em if they are too short-other than that I like perfect flight.
Me too! It really does not matter to me how long they are, as long as they tune correctly.

Bisch

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 03:51:00 PM »
I've found that i like mine about 1.5" longer than my draw. That gives me a little room for an aluminum footing and it won't bump the shelf.

Offline Gapmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 04:24:00 PM »
Longer arrows seem to be more stable to me. It also might just be my imagination! I like to try and keep about 2 inches at least out in front at full draw.

As long as it works for you--just do it. Do what you want to do, not what we all think is best.
"Just passing through"

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 05:35:00 PM »
Because I draw about 30 inches I mostly shoot full length arrows...some arrows are almost too short
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 11:51:00 PM »
I tried every arrow at the store today and all were too short-I'd have to foreshaft any of them, so I'm making my own from 36" dowels or rivercane until I find a better alternative for my ridiculous draw length.  Connective tissue disorder gave me a wider armspan than my height.

Anyone know of 36" actual arrow shafts?

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 06:45:00 AM »
I draw 27.5 and cut my arrows to 29.5. But I'm a gap shooter. I shoot split finger, so the longer my arrow the narrower the gap.  The long arrow also afforded my the ability to use a heavier arrow, 10.5 gr per inch. I also shoot aluminum. Find them much easier to tune.
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©