3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Yet More VA Hunting opportunities with Pics page 3!!!  (Read 1417 times)

Offline UK Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Yet More VA Hunting opportunities with Pics page 3!!!
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2007, 08:18:00 PM »
Just got my permit in the mail. You don't need them for this hunt but I think that I will hunt the property a few times this year.

Offline Nook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2007, 10:49:00 AM »
Ron.. Looks like Ol'Two Hats and I will arrive Thursday night with my Popup camper and hunt Friday.  We will have a full moon.  Mid day hunting will be the best. See you then.  Tom, Look forward to seeing you again.  Jeff
"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
PBS Regular

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2007, 04:31:00 PM »
Hey Jeff,
 Thanks to you I have a new to me Blacktail, never should have shot your wife's.lol. Did you get your custom this summer?
 See you and Danny soon.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline UK Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2007, 06:33:00 AM »
Are we all still on for next week? I am heading down Saturday to hunt some and nose around a little, although I will not be able to get down to camp until Thursday of next week.

See y'all soon

Offline UK Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2007, 07:26:00 PM »
ttt

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2007, 06:04:00 AM »
I will be rolling in on Thursday evening-not ifs and or buts. Missed going to RMR but not this one. See you all then.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline UK Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2007, 11:12:00 PM »
Looking forward to it Tom (bring Jerky  :) ) I will be there Wed night through Sat Lunch

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2007, 12:28:00 PM »
Rain and more Rain! slowed down the hunting but not before!!!!

Big Ron & his hunting partner, Martin, arrived in camp yesterday a long with myself in the early afternoon. Mac had arrived on Sunday and had already been into deer.

we all made short work of getting camp in order and with the sun creeping closer to the western horizon we were ready to head out for and afternoon in the timber.

without having a spot selected Martin and I both decided to stay mobile on the ground and take advantage of the few hours of daylight left to locate a sweet spot to set up for the coming days. Ron decided he would set up his climber in a spot that he had found on a previous scouting trip.

i headed due south down into the creek bottom and as soon as i crossed the first creek i jumped a fat doe. she must have heard noise, but didn't know the source of the disturbance. she only ran about 10 yards before stopping and turning around to investigate. not being prepared for such a quick encounter my arrows were still tucked neatly in my stalker quiver, so all i could do was stand motionless and let the situation play itself out.

she finally relaxed and walked down the opposite side of the creek without giving me an opportunity for a shot. i thought to myself "if this is any indication of things to come it's going to be a great week of hunting".

i eased my way from one hedge row to another stopping to glass each field as i made my way towards a pre selected hill top. approaching the back field at the base of the hill i spotted a nice hen turkey feeding on the edge. i circled around to the left behind a small rise in the field that would cover my movement. by the time reached the back corner the bird had worked out into the field and there was a strip of un cut brush that allowed me good cover to move in closer.

with the wind blowing about 10-15 knots i was able to work my way to within about 15 yards of the hen. to bad turkeys were not on the harvest list at Fulfillment in the fall. she finally worked her way away from me and i circled around heading for the highest vantage point of the field.

from here i could see several other fields, one to the west and another north towards camp. the big hen was still visible down in the corner of the field and while watching her through my binos i spotted movement just inside the woods. deer number two! i wasn't able to get a good look at it's head, but from the body size i felt certain it was a buck or a really big doe.

i glassed the fields and edge of the woods for close to an hour before moving out towards the bottom where traveling past the spot where i had seen the deer. the sun was sinking at a fast pace, darkness would arrive in less than an hour so i decided to tuck myself back in the brush in the corner of this field to see if any other critters might show themselves.

twenty minutes had passed when i heard leaves rustling off to my left. i could tell what ever was making the sound would step out in the field at a distance of about 15 yards so i readied my bow and attempted to calm my self by taking in some deep breaths of air. i was certain it was a deer but as it came closer the pace of the steps caused me to second guess myself and the first thought that crossed my mind was bear.

like the turkey, bears were not on the list so i was hoping that i was wrong. 15 yards on the ground felt a little to close for comfort. about that time a dark from appeared of the two legged kind. i let out a light whistle and Martin turned to look back over his shoulder spotting me tucked up tight to a cedar tree. we both had a good laugh and then headed towards camp with only about 45 minutes of day light left.

the walk back to camp was all up hill and by the time i arrived at my truck i was soaked with sweat. here it is almost November and Mr. summer is holding on with a tenacious grip. 80 degrees just ain't my kind of weather to hunt in, but it's better than not hunting at all. i stripped off my outer layer and draped my shirt over a near by branch to dry.

do you ever get the feeling that someone or something is watching you? well that's exactly what i felt as i swung the sleeve of my shirt over the branch. i looked behind me down towards the creek bottom and there she stood, a big doe looking right at me from about 80 yards. she was followed by 3 more does. i motioned to Martin that could see something down in the bottom.

we watched the 4 does for about a minute before they had had enough. doing a 180 they headed back towards the cut through where we had just come from not 10 minutes earlier. with 30 minutes of daylight left i wasn't going to pass up an opportunity, so i headed in their direction with a dry shirt on.

back down in the creek bottom i found a cut through where the deer had been crossing from one straw field to the other. i eased down through the creek and when i came out on the opposite side of the hedge row there was a huge white oak. this tree was probably 6-7 feet in diameter and had branches as big as most whites oak. it was a stately old fellow and i'm sure it had seen or herd quite a lot in it's many years of life. if only the trees could talk, i think i would have had to spend a week this old man.

seeing the trails that criss crossed by this tree i couldn't resist sitting out the last minutes of day light resting against old man oaks friendly trunk. it turned out to be a good decision. not a minute after i got situated a doe popped over the hill heading straight towards me. as she crossed my track she froze. she smelled my butt, but had no idea of where i was due to the swirling wind and evening thermals taking my scent back down hill.

at 20 yards i had her broadside, but the gray light of dusk being all that was left of the day a long with the numerous saplings i opted to hold off on the shot. she worked her way around behind me and out of sight as the last few seconds of light gave way to darkness. what a cool encounter and another story for old man oak to tell. i had had a great first afternoon and made a new friend.

back in camp Mac was all smiles as he told of his hunt and the perfect shot he had made on a nice little doe.

i will finish up here and let Mac chime in with the story.

Day 2 coming, a long with the sheets of rain and wet butts. the forecast doesn't look to let up any time soon and the remainder of the week may be a way. on the positive side, we have not had any measure of rain for months here in Virginia and we badly needed this rain despite the fact that it has put the brakes on our hunting.
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline Raineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2007, 12:50:00 PM »
Great stuff! Keep it comin' folks.

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2007, 01:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by paleFace:
as she crossed my track she froze. she smelled my but..  
LOL     :biglaugh:  Proofreading is a beautiful thing.  Thanks for the update Rob.  We've had torrental rain here and even tornado warnings.  Hope things clear up for you.

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2007, 07:21:00 PM »
she smelled my butt, but had no idea of where i was  
Chuck how's this for a little proof'n fix er up?

i'm sure i was stinking, heck i could have rung a gallon of water out of my shirt.

i will get day two up here in a bit, but don't expect a lot as the first gully washer in months hit and it really put the brakes on the hunting.
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: October 25, 2007, 07:25:00 PM »
Well, Martin and I arrived at camp to find Mac taking a break in his tent. We had our introduction visit and a few talks about the land and hotspots at Fulfillment. Mac got his hunting gear ready and was off for the evening hunt and we wished him good luck. Martin and I set up camp as quickly as we could and before long Rob was rolling in. We had a short visit and decided where we would go and were off...

I decided I would head toward the creek bottom between two ridges that I had scouted earlier in the year. On the way I took a look at my GPS to see how much further I needed to go...only.49 miles, as I crossed a feeder creek I came upon a small field with VERY visible trails and a couple of small poplars that were big enough to put a stand in. HHMMMMM Second guessing, Nope lets go to the original destination. After crossing the big creek I was on the Horse Trail and on my way. About 30 yards before reaching my GPS indicator I heard a noise and stopped and squatted down with my LW still on my back and reached for an Arrow. A doe being chased by a small buck were soon standind still at 15 yards... I didnt have a clear shot on the doe but the buck could have been shot. The DMAP rules prevented me from shooting the young 4 pointer. He had a nice body size for the small rack. As I eased forward to try and get to a shooting lane they were off...  It was D R Y to say the least, but that would soon change. I hung the LW in a Big Persimmon tree and hunted the rest of the evening with a visit from several squirrels and a Fat, Healthy Coon.

We all got back together at Camp and congratulated Mac on his kill and had a NICE visit around an imaginary campfire. ( State Wide Burn Ban in Effect). Really enjoyed our visit fellas.  

--------------------
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: October 25, 2007, 07:41:00 PM »
Here are a few pics of Wednesday morning in my Persimmon tree Stand...

Wish I was hunting that tree when it was dropping everyday. There were only a few left on it when I hung my stand on Tuesday.

:(    ;)

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: October 25, 2007, 08:05:00 PM »
hopefully Mac will be a long soon to tell us the story, in the mean time here he is with a fine Virginia Doe....

>~Rob~>

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: October 25, 2007, 10:48:00 PM »
Tuesday night we sat around and I made a new friend. Mac i really enjoyed your company and i am looking forward to hunting with you again partner.  

well the moon was close to full but playing peek-a-boo with the front that was moving in during the night. one minute you could see like it was day time and the next it was pitch black dark. by the time i hit the sack it was almost midnight and the alarm was set to go off at 5am.  as with the first night on most every hunt, sleep was fitful.  my internal clock went off around 4:30 so i went ahead and got myself situated and then just lay there in the back of my truck watching the stars in between banks of black low flying clouds.

by 6am it was starting to brighten up so i headed out for the morning hunt. i had decided to hunt in close proximity to the Old Oak from the evening before. there was a good creek crossing that went from one field through the hedge row to the hedge row on the opposite side where the big oak stood. the trouble was i couldn't find a decent tree to put my climber on. this is one of the times that i really like having a hang on handy.

i just hate to wonder around in the pre dawn woods looking for a decent tree, but if i wanted to sit in a tree i wouldn't have much choice. so after about 20 minutes of searching for the perfect perch i settled on a fairly straight maple that was about 20 yards off the creek in a small patch of woods that separated 3 different fields. there were just no good trees near the spot where i had really hoped to sit so i had to make due with what i had to work with.

there would be no sunrise today as the rain was looming on the horizon in the form of dark almost black clouds.  from first light until 10am my only visitors were an assortment of birds and one fat gray squirrel that almost made himself a date with the judo i had tucked into my quiver. i watched this little furry rascal for about 20 minutes before deciding to give him a free get-away-card for the day.

the temps were hanging right around the 70 degree mark and with the moister in the air the humidity had it feeling closer to 100.  the hike in and climb had left my clothes sticky wet. it was almost 10am before i had started to cool down and with the stiff breeze i had just about dried out.

i zipped up my shirt and settled myself in for the long vigil.  it would be short lived however. leaning my head back against the tree i let my eyelids block out the daylight and no sooner had my mind drifted i heard an animal running from behind me. sensing it was a deer i quickly grabbed my Schafer Silver Tip and readied myself.

turning slightly to my left i spotted the doe coming straight towards my tree at a fast pace. she ran right up under me stopping at less than 5 steps from my tree. i could tell by the way she put on the brakes that she had detected my scent and was now on high alert. to compound the problem i could hear another deer walking directly behind me. not knowing where this deer was looking i dared move even a muscle.

i had a shot at the doe standing under me, but there were several small branches and some leaves they gave me just enough uncertainty that i wouldn't take the shot. i could see her nostrils working in air trying to sort out the intruders where abouts. we were at a stalemate.  no way was i going to make the first move, especially not knowing where the other deer was at this point.

she finally made move and she bounded out to about 15 yards before turning broadside to look back. the bow came up and the arrow was away before i could even think. seeing the arrow strike the deer i questioned myself, had i hurried the shot?  did my arrow hit something en route to it's target?  i  hate to second guess, but my arrow had struck the deer a little high and a little back.

i watched her escape path and could see my arrow protruding out both sides. this was not a good situation as i knew there would be little if any blood with the arrow plugging up both holes. my only hope would be that the arrow would be pulled out soon.

after the shot i sat back down and collected myself trying to re live the shot in hopes of figuring out what i had done wrong.  there were no answers. i had most likely rushed the shot and not locked in on a spot causing me to miss my mark. feeling down about my shot i came to the realization that there was no sense in beating myself up over the shot, what i needed to do now was try and recover this deer.

looking at my watch, 20 minutes had passed. not enough time for a liver shot most likely and if my arrow was back even more i would need at least 4 hours of wait time before taking up the trail. i decided to climb down and get my gear together and head back to the truck.  

no sooner had my feet hit the ground the sky turned black and water began to spit. i picked up the pace with a sense of urgency knowing the rain would ruin any sign or hope i might have in finding this deer.  

by the time i reached camp it was pouring down in sheets. i dumped my gear and with a single arrow and my bow i ran back to the last spot i had seen the doe. she had crossed the creek right where the trail cut through the hedge row. this gave me a direction to start so i eased down the edge of the field looking for tracks or blood.

to add to the difficulty the ground was covered in red maple leaves that had been freed from the clutches of the tree the night before during the howling winds. these leaves were not solid red but rather yellow with spots of red and burgundy. every leaf looked as if it might have blood on it.

after close to an hour of looking i had found exactly two spots the size of pea. the doe had traveled about 75-100 yards without stopping. my hopes of finding this deer were slipping away with each second. at this point i had a bad feeling in my gut so i headed back to camp to see if Ron or Martin might have tried escaping the pouring rain. to my surprise neither one of them had made it back to camp.

i downed a bottle of water and put on some dry clothes and my rubber boots then waited. i finally saw Ron as he made his way up the hill to camp. i hope you have your blood hound nose with you today bud, we are going to need any help we can get.

after telling Ron about my situation he grabbed his rain coat and by then Martin had made his way back to camp with his own stories of some nasty dogs he had been trying to avoid.

we checked all the creek bottoms and hedge rows in the area and looked for any sign that may have been left. the search turned up no evidence and after close to 3 hours of looking i made the decision to call it off. we stood under some cedars and talked for a bit while watching rain as it gave breath of life in the bone dry landscape that had been void of rain for months.

the rain was a life saver for the plants and animals, but for me it had erased just about any hopes i had of recovering this deer. it had been over 10 years since i had lost a deer. what could i have done different?  did i rush the shot? forget to pick a spot? had she jumped the string? i won't find the answers to these questions, but i will be thinking about them the next time i get an opportunity to loose an arrow and one of these beautiful animals..

it's a tough lesson, and sometimes it just can't be helped for many different reasons. for now i think i will for go a days hunting to go back and look for this deer. my gut tells me she is dead and i realize the meat will be of little use to me, but i want to find her and use what i can so that her life was not given in vain. keep your fingers crossed that something will lead me to her.

Ron, Martin and I made our way back to camp after i had made a call home to get the weather update. more heavy rain was in the forecast and the next 3 days had a 70% chance or more of rain so we decided to hand the woods back over to mother nature and we headed for the comforts of home.

stay tuned, some of the gang just might be back at it hunting Fulfillment Farms come Friday and or Saturday. me personally, i could use some fulfillment in the form of a recovered deer.

there is nothing like a refreshing rain after months of drought!

>~Rob~>

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: October 26, 2007, 10:40:00 AM »
looks like the rain will keep the bowhunters at bay today as well.  it's still pouring down here and it looks as though it will continue on through the afternoon and into tomorrow.
>~Rob~>

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: October 26, 2007, 11:03:00 AM »
Sorry you lost that deer Rob.  I know the feeling and it is frustrating.  Hopefully things will ease up, rain wise, and we can get back at it.

Offline Nook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: October 26, 2007, 12:20:00 PM »
Two Hats and I are working today.  We will save our vacation day for better weather next week.  Hopefully we can get more involved in this hunt next year.  Thanx to all that made it possible.  Jeff
"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
PBS Regular

Offline Mac Hicks

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: October 26, 2007, 02:12:00 PM »
Rob, Ron, Martin, All,

Sorry to hear that the rain forced an end to your hunt, but we really needed the H2O badly. It was a pleasure to meet you guys and I will look forward to sharing a camp with you again in the future.

I arrived at FF on Sunday afternoon and remained a Tradgang of 1 until Rob, Ron and Martin pulled in on Tuesday afternoon. I suspected the warm temps might have some folks holding off for the latter part of the week and some relief from the heat, but I could only hunt through Wed. so I stuck with it.

The deer sign was good most everywhere I looked and I hung my LW assault 3 times in 2 days trying to get in the right spot. Moved it Tues. AM to a field edge with good shooting lanes to the field and back into the white oak ridge behind the field. The wind was perfect for a field shot in the afternoon, but bad if the deer came in from the white oaks behind the stand.

Of course you already know that's exactly what happened and I was sure the doe and skipper would wind me before I could get the shot but, as luck was on my side that hunt, the wind calmed just long enough for me to get the 18 yard shot off on the yearling. When I saw those blue feathers disappear behind the shoulder I knew she was history. The arrow passed through and she piled up in sight of the stand. I nocked another arrow because the doe seemed undisturbed by the shot but she never gave me the right shot so I climbed down and had the young doe field dressed and back to the truck by 6:15.

Back at camp, as Ron said, we shared stories of the afternoon hunt and discussed the confusion over the DMAP tag situation. My club has been in the program so long that I thought they must be missing something because there were no field tags, log book or possesion tags in the box? This meant the only legal way to transport the deer is to use one of your own tags and check the deer by phone. We did that, after Ron gave me the 1-888-GOT-GAME # to call in. Turns out Ron's recollection of the number was in error because I hung up fast when I heard the sweet voice of the phone sex gal on the line. We all had a good chuckle after the choice words I laid on Ron before he admitted the number might actually begin with 866.

Anyway, I looked at the DMAP regs on the Dept. site when I got home and I had forgotten that for the first year of the program you just collect biological data and attach a tag to the jawbone. If all goes well the Dept. issues field tags the next year that you use in lieu of your BG tags. So if you hunt there later this season be sure to notch yor tag BEFORE transporting the kill back to the DMAP check in station. They still need a logbook in the box so that hunters can log the kill date, buck/doe, name of hunter, and keep the jawbones in order of kills. This keeps you from having to go through the jawbones in order to get the next number for your jawbone tag.

Good luck to all of you who came to hunt after I left Wed. and I hope we can keep this thing going for future seasons. It really is a sweet deal for us to have an entire week exclusively. Big kudos to Dave Stein for organizing the hunt. Just wish you could have been there Dave. But hopefully there's always next season for all who couldn't make it this time. Shoot Straight >>>>--------->

-MacDaddy
U.S. Navy Retired 1965-1989
TGMM Family of the Bow

There are 2 secrets to wisdom: 1. Never tell everything you know.

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: October 26, 2007, 03:22:00 PM »
Turns out Ron's recollection of the number was in error because I hung up fast when I heard the sweet voice of the phone sex gal on the line.
[/b]

now we all know Big Ron wouldn't purposely direct a fellow Trad Ganger to the wrong number now would he!
    :saywhat:
>~Rob~>

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©