3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stickflingers Experience Learning so much..So far from home. Pics added 6-8  (Read 1451 times)

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
Sounds like dreams came true. I have never seen the aurora borealis but its on my bucket list and would alone make the trip for me. Congrats on a great hunt and sorry you didnt get your bear

Offline Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Ok fellas.  This was my second trip to Stickflingers, but I am still far from an experienced bear hunter.  This week helped a lot as I was more patient and got to watch many more bears interact.  I didn't get the education David G. and Mike D. got, but mine was much less stressful!  My big goal was to take a boar on this trip.  Last year I shot a beautiful bear with a 6x8 blaze on it's chest, but it ended up being a sow.  A boar was more important than size for me this year.

It was a tough week by big bear standards and I know the Stickflingers staff was stressing over that.  They normally have a day or two of east winds in a 6 day hunt.  This year the entire first 2 weeks were east.  It made many of their best stands unhuntable and made it a challenge to keep 6 hunters in prime locations.

I was placed at the pit stand the first night and I was shown pictures of a 7+ foot black, a 7+ foot chocolate and 6+ foot bears of each color too.  Any of them were fine for me.  The first bear I saw was a nice chocolate bear that wanted to come sit with me.  I shifted and gave it a look and it went down.  Much more agreeable than some of my buddies experienced.  The chocolate went to the barrel and I could see that it was a couple of inches shorter than the top, probably the 6+ footer.  It left without giving me a shot.  Later a nice black, slightly bigger came in and I decided to wait since it was the first night and I had seen the chocolate.  They both came in later and I was positioned to shoot the chocolate when the black promptly bred her right in front of me.  I am glad I didn't shoot her.  They ended up repeating the act 3 more times before the night ended.  I saw 9 different bears the first night.

The second night I did not see either the chocolate sow or her suitor, but I did see 8 bears with only one repeat from the first night.  I had one bear come in that was the color of an Irish Setter dog.  By far the prettiest bear I have ever seen and I believe it was a young boar just under 6 feet.  He was very aggressive toward the other bears.

Day 3 saw saw heavy rains until 5:30 or so and an abbreviated sit.  I was at a new stand called South Bell.  A couple of the others had not seen many bears so we switched things up a bit.  I had one 5 foot bear spend most of the night with me, but that was it.

Day 4 found me back at the pit with the intentions of taking the red bear if it showed since the bigger bears were being finicky and higher winds were in the forecast for the last 2 days.  At 3:15 a brown bear started in and circled to enter from the far side of the barrel.  On all fours it stood and drank off the top of the barrel and I realized I may have wrongly assumed it was the chocolate sow.  The bear took a couple quick bites and turned to leave.  The sow has a scar on her left hip and to my disappointment, there was no scar on the left hip when the bear turned to leave.  I knew I had missed an opportunity at a nice bear.  I had a couple of smaller bears visit multiple times over the next couple of hours.  About 7:30 a small chocolate was circling and went on full alert.  I looked to the east and a massive bear was coming in.  It had red guard hair and black tips so it looked black until the wind blew and then there was a red tinge.  I wanted to kill this bear.  It saw the smaller bear and put on a full charge right under my tree.  It ran the small bear 200 yards and treed it.  Unfortunately he never came back.

At 8 I had a black bear heading in.  It got to the back side of the barrel and I saw it was within an inch or so of the top of the barrel.  The big chocolate sow came in and he ran her off multiple times.  He also ran 2 other bears off and treed them.  Each time he would grab saplings in his mouth and snap them off as he growled at the bear up the tree.  After another such display I decided it was a boar around 6 feet and I was going to take him if I could.  He came back to the barrel and promptly stopped at 9-10 yards broadside.  I was using my Roberston Tribalstyk 54@ 28 (drawn to 29 1/2), a tapered Surewood shaft and a 160 VPA Terminator.  I hit the bear in the pocket on the right side and it came out in front of the leg on the left.  The bear jumped up on the tree and climbed to about 12 feet before sliding/falling to the ground and making a 50 yard semi-circle.  All was quiet and I got no death moan.  I walked the 1.6 miles back to camp and guide David and Dave Gage came back to retrieve the bear.  It was a good trail and soon we found the bear.  The first thing I did was check and it was a boar!

As others have said, we had a great bunch of guys in camp.  All were ethical, responsible bowhunters and great shots I might add.  The Stickflingers staff is very experienced and they truly care about the bears and the quality of your hunt.  If the wind switches to the west this week, watch out for the bears that will be taken!

I am still not sure who this gray bearded gent is in the pics.  Surely that can't be me!  Pictures at 6:30 AM after 2 AM campfires are tough!

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Congrats Mr Pagel ... fine boar
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Congrats David Pagel! I missed you the morning you left and am glad I got to see the boar you killed in situ. Beautiful bear and great story!

You know that pit blind stand is just terrible isn't it?  :)  Too much color to keep straight!
Mike Davenport

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
Ken - I think you are gonna hit the rut JUST RIGHT.  We'll see what this week brings the Tall Tines group, but I think with the late spring up there they too may be a week too early.

To my old.. er young.. buddy Pags – what a great job you did taking your boar this year.  Congrats buddy.

Mikey D. – your dedication to hunt the big ‘uns inspires me.

I wish I had a story to tell this year.  As luck would have it my bear is still in the woods.

The weather was not terrible, but at the same time far from ideal.  The big boys were just not cruising yet although there were quite a few six footers to be seen.

My compadres on this trip truly lived up to every definition of the word.  Good friendships were renewed and new friendships started.  Lessons learned were shared openly.  My love of traditional archery was reinvigorated.  I remembered why I like “doing it the hard way”.  My disappointment never made me question my choice of gear or tactics.  Maybe that is what I needed rather than another skull on the mantle or rug on the wall.
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Lifetime Member

Offline Ibow

• Trad Bowhunter
Great stories and great pictures! Thanks for posting!   :thumbsup:

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
Some quick pics of to remember my trip...

One happy bowhunter without a bear
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Lifetime Member

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
Finally, pics of Pagel's bear!     :thumbsup:

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
good stuff guys!! congrats Dave!
Make a life, not a living

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
Thanks guys for the story and pics posted of your hunt.

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Excellent stories and pics gentlemen and congrats on the bears!   :campfire:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
Congrats again Mr. Pagel. Great sharing camp with you. I was extremely happy you took the bear you wanted. Also glad somebody got to post a few hero pics on this thread as well!
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
A fine looking bear Dave!  Congratulations!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline DamselflyFarm

• Trad Bowhunter
This is a great thread. Thanks for sharing, guys.
Take care,
Jeff

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
Nice bear Dave.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
Dang Dirtnap!!! Those are some INCREDIBLE pics my friend!!!!!

Sounds like an awesome trip to me!!! Keep it coming.

:thumbsup:

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Congrats on the fine bear Dave, and thanks to all for the pictures and the stories.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Love those pics of the camp and Aurora , I had to call my family in and share them. Sounds like you had a great time. Thanks so much for sharing it,.

God bless you , steve

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
I am so very happy that everyone is enjoying those pics from camp. I had such a good time taking those. It took me a long time to get my wife to agree for me to take "her" Nikon but she finally agreed. They turned out better than I could have ever imagined!
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline twowolvesarchery

• Trad Bowhunter
Dave once again great looking bear. I was also glad Tim found your VPA when we were looking for his. Do you know it took all his energy to care that 165 grain head out of the pit while magic mike and I drug out his bear. David so glad your wife let u take her camera because those pics are great. You were taking pics for an hour so you have to have more then that.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©