3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stickflingers Experience Learning so much..So far from home. Pics added 6-8  (Read 1449 times)

Offline Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
If the TT group got/gets a wind switch to the west, it could be amazing.  A number of those spots had not been able to be hunted all season.

D.P.

Offline agtex42

• Trad Bowhunter
Great stories and pics fellas, looks like yall had an amazing trip!

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Wanna bet those giants are on their feet running sows right now? Looks like they had good weather all week and little rain. Today's wind is SW...I know a good spot with that wind  :)
Mike Davenport

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
Great stories and great pictures!!!  :campfire:
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline twowolvesarchery

• Trad Bowhunter
What we would have giving for just one day of west winds.  Mike and David u might have seen 75 bears then.

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
I wouldn't hunt Determination with a West wind. Those bears would have been mad I was in that ladder stand! They seem to have laid claim to that stand.
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
The way the bears came in I would bet that stand would be better. Those bears all came from the other way...coarse having the nester in your lap or one of them fat mean sows would increase the pucker factor  :)  

Anxious to hear how the Talltines guys did. Methinks there will be a tale or two...or three...or five    :campfire:
Mike Davenport

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
I will be curious too ...them guys will GET ER DONE!!I HOPE TO SEE PICS
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
Looks like a great trip, thanks for the pics and stories...   :thumbsup:

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
Thanks for sharing!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
Thought I'd show a few more pics that were taken the last night in camp.

Some of you who have been at this traditional thing awhile must laugh when you read things like what I'm about to type. It seems that the draw of this style of hunting for me has taught me more from the trips and hunts where no game is harvested. It seems that this way tho it may seem so hard and complicated at the start is really a road to simplicity. From the simplicity of the weapon to the way it has taught me to enjoy the simplicity of a camp fire, some faint green streaks in the sky and the laughter of camp mates in the distance. Thanks to all who have read and and commented on this thread. I feel as tho this hunt changed me not only as a hunter but as a person and that is why we do this.
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Amen bro very well said!!!thxs for such a great thread
NRA Life member

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Beautiful pics! Those are magazine quality photos.

I am so glad we had this hunt together. I am proud to call you my friend    :campfire:
Mike Davenport

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Sure are beautiful pics I used one for a screensaver on my phone...lol
NRA Life member

Offline Ibow

• Trad Bowhunter
Great pictures - thanks for sharing them and your experience!   :thumbsup:

Online Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Week 3 boys have any reports?   :campfire:

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
I have to start by saying the fun factor was at an all time high. We were all friends including the guides and outfitter, Ryan, David, and Mike. The weather wash great and the bugs not too bad, so we maximized are sits. The wind was out of east and south east which wasn’t the best for a lot of the stands, but there were certainly enough to occupy us. There was an occasional shift some evenings, but overall we had it good.

With that said, every one in camp was looking for that special bear to add in a significant degree of uncertainty to this style of hunting. For me I wanted a mature boar of at least 7’ hide square. This would prove very difficult as I saw ~ 50 bears at less than 30 yards at six different stand sites, but none met my standard until the final morning. I sat Determination, the place I killed the 8 footer last year, and was in the thick of things with all the sows and cubs right from the start. Then at 9 am, a very tall and long bear came in and took over the bait. It was very lanky, and I knew it was a seven-footer. Now was it a boar? I really do think it was, but it had a long narrow head and a face that was rubbed back to its ears. It had big feet, but it was just not filled out. As I let it walk out right under my tree, it brought back memories of last year when I recalled seeing that bear with the one I killed. I could be wrong, but I do think it is a boar that has had a good start on a huge frame and great potential once it fills out its muscle and skull. I hope someone gets him in a couple years.

I came home empty handed, but it was a great week. I saw bears, a wolf, many moose, including calves, and even a couple elk. I felt I had a good hunt and the uncertainty was definitely there for me, and I was excited every evening and could feel it would happen at any moment. I will let others tell their stories when they get a chance. Mike

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter

All smiles!

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©