3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: As if you needed another reason to donate to St. Jude's  (Read 663 times)

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
As if you needed another reason to donate to St. Jude's
« on: June 03, 2013, 12:06:00 AM »
I'm going to tell you guys a story.  A story about a special little man, and what he did for my wife and I.

My son, Asher David Jaden Seales was born on January 8, 2011.  We knew when he got here we were going to have a hard fight-we were initially told he had no brain.  He had such severe congenital hydrocephalus that it truly showed no gray matter.  Shunting at 8 days old revealed that he had roughly half a brain, though his first surgery was at three days old for a dual incarcerated inguinal hernia.  

We spent two and a half months in the NICU with him before we could take him home.  He went home on permanent oxygen from bronchopulmonary dysplasia, but he was ours.  However, he bounced in and out a lot.  He had a lot more problems than we originally thought.  He had inherited his mother's clotting factor disorders (thankfully inactive) and my connective tissue disorder (of which there is no inactive version.)  His spine started developing a major bend at about 9 months old.  Little buddy had a hunchback in no time, but that didn't slow him down.  Being paralyzed form the waist down did, though.  He really couldn't move his arms very well, either.  Moving just wasn't his forte.  One of my favorite memories was the day he learned he could wiggle.

*wiggle* hmmm.... *wiggle wiggle* I can wiggle? *wiggle* I CAN WIGGLE!!!!! *wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle*  

His face lit up with the most beautiful expression that day.  He was so happy to be able to squirm just a bit.  Mostly he was content to sit with Mom or Dad and hold his best friend, Mr Bumpy.  Mt Bumpy even went to surgery with him.  He'd come out in a ziploc bag, still tucked under my boy's arm.  

And surgeries we had.  We got into the fifties before I lost count.  But he soldiered along.  Toughest little thing I've ever seen.  I thought I was tough, lasting like I have against this disease.  He showed me what true strength was about.  But unfortunately, his little body was running out.

On November 10th, 2012 Asher stopped breathing for an hour and a half.  Only a God-given miracle brought him back to us.  After close to a month, he regained consciousness.  He was blind, and almost totally paralyzed, but he was still our little boy.  On Christmas, he developed severe pneumonia.  They tried everything-drugs of last resort, high ventilator settings, and finally epinephrine drips, but he was going.  His hernia repairs never worked, because of my connective tissue disorder I passed on, and he developed a bowel obstruction.  By the time we found it it was too late, and it had swelled immensely, crushing his heart and lungs.  Mom and I held him at the end and sang him to sleep, and he passed in our arms on January 7th, 2013.  He would have been two the next day.  

I got an assurance that few people ever get, and it's the only reason I keep living anymore.  Just before the end, my little boy's face lit up with the same smile he would give Mr. Bumpy after a wash or if one of us had been gone.  The same smile he had when he learned he could wiggle.  His face lit up because I believe he saw Jesus coming to take him home personally.  He was blind, he couldn't see us.  He could feel Mr. Bumpy, but he had had him the whole time.

I'm bawling my eyes out as I write this, but his story must needs be told.  Children's of Birmingham did absolutely everything humanly possible for that little boy, and in the end they even paid his funeral costs.

He was the happiest thing in the world.  I think he knew he was on borrowed time somehow.  

Children's gave us nearly two years with him.  I build things now to sell so I can donate more to them in his name.  If you ever want a reason to donate, help me make sure no other parents have to go through what we did.  Help St. Jude's/Children's to let other parents take their child home in a car seat instead of a coffin.  My wording may be harsh, but that is what we did for my son's second birthday.  I don't think I'll ever get over that.

The ground was unworthy of his feet, so he never walked.  Our ears weren't worthy of his voice, so he never spoke.  And in the end we were so unworthy of his presence that he left us, to receive healing that this life could not give.  But of all the things that we do not deserve, he gave freely of that we deserve the least-love.  And now I must attempt to carry on in his name and in his stead, loving all that I come across.  May his death never be in vain.

Re: As if you needed another reason to donate to St. Jude's
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 12:41:00 AM »
:pray:    :pray:    :pray:    :pray:    :pray:    :pray:  

Bisch

Offline rbcorbitt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 06:09:00 AM »
Thank you for sharing your story.  You are truly a good man.
   :pray:
"I would rather be amongst forest animals and the sounds of nature, then amongst city traffic and the noise of man" - A.D. Williams

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 06:53:00 AM »
Thank you for the story.

God bless your family.
Tom

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 07:11:00 AM »
Tears are rolling down my face right along with you.  Asher is indeed all the reason any of us need to do absolutely everything we can with the St. Jude auction.  

Like I do most years, I had started thinking I had gone over my budget again with my bidding.  After reading your heartfelt story I realize that I haven't done nearly enough.

Thank you for the courage it took to share your story, and for giving all of us the incentive we need to dig a little deeper.   :pray:    :pray:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 08:14:00 AM »
God bless you and yours. Your little man is better off than he ever had the chance to be here, and i am sure he knows how you loved him.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 08:55:00 AM »
Through my own tears I want to thank you for caring for him the way you did and still do--a beautiful little boy!  Your story touches something deep inside of me. I guess what I am reminded of is that our heavenly Father cares for us as you cared for your little man.  Rest in His love......Dave
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline KOOK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 09:10:00 AM »
tears streaming here, May God bless you

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 09:12:00 AM »
Perspective, Thank You for bringing it to me today and sharing your story. There can't be a dry eye after reading your story.

May God bless your family.

Offline Rathbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 09:48:00 AM »
Originally posted by Marc B.:
Perspective, Thank You for bringing it to me today and sharing your story. There can't be a dry eye after reading your story.

X2!!!!!

Thank you for sharing your story halfseminole - brings it all into perspective.
"Lungs are guts.  You can quote me on that." - Gene Wensel

Offline Brian Halbleib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 10:53:00 AM »
Thank you for sharing the beautiful pictures of your precious child and his story. Your strength through this as a man and a father is inspirational. Prayers sent for you and your family. God bless.

-Brian

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 12:42:00 PM »
:archer:
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 01:16:00 PM »
Thank you for sharing your story.Not only is your story a true eye opening of what and why we do the St. Judes every year. But it's also a reminder that life is waaaay to short. I think I'll give my kids and wife an extra hug tonight. Thank you and God bless you!
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 01:38:00 PM »
Thank you for sharing your and Asher's story .... certainly puts things in perspective.

Bless you and your family
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline stik&string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2013, 01:39:00 PM »
Wow powerful stuff. Thank you for sharing and God Bless!

Offline Phrogdrvr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2013, 01:45:00 PM »
Tears rolling down my face, sitting at work, in uniform.  I almost hope someone sees me so I can pass on your story.

I like your faith.  We also lost a little one and believe we will see her again in heaven.

Tom

Offline Froggy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2013, 01:53:00 PM »
We as well lost a child. Gotta get myself together here after reading this and try to get some work done. Have faith in my Lord I will see her one day !!!

Lanier
TGMM  >>>>---------> Family of the bow

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2013, 02:09:00 PM »
words cannot descried how your story touched me. God Bless You and your Wife.

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2013, 03:09:00 PM »
Only to someone with your's and your wife's strengths, would He give such a precious child to. You have been truly blessed to be Asher's parents. Some folks live to be a hundred years old and will never make the impact your Asher did and does in just 2 years.

May you both find comfort in these facts, and in the everlasting arms of the Father who is all knowing.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2013, 04:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by Marc B.:

X3 I can't say it any better.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©