3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone ever hunted the Little Delta region?  (Read 3558 times)

Offline BillW

• Trad Bowhunter
Anyone ever hunted the Little Delta region?
« on: January 19, 2007, 11:20:00 AM »
A lot here are fans of Fred Bear and Glen StCharles. Glen first hunted The Little Delta in 1957 then Fred joined in 58 and 59. Last year I hunted another area they hunted and that was the Brooks Range out of Kotzebue. I was fortunate to harvest a medium sized bull Caribou with my Recurve. As cabin fever starts to kick in, my mind drifts back to my Alaska hunt and thoughts of future hunts crop up. Could a Little Delta hunt be done today??? I think so!

From Joe StCharles's article in TBM we know the Little Delta cabin is still there. My question is, has anyone here ever hunted the region?

Thanks,
Bill
Aim Small

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone ever hunted the Little Delta region?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 11:45:00 AM »
Only in my dreams...Would love to hear more about your hunt!!!
Official Measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Compton's, Longhunters, and both Mo books.  Have tape, will travel!!!

Offline BillW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 12:09:00 PM »
Brad, My two friends and I did an outfitted/unguided hunt. I cannot recommend our outfitter because I feel he over booked himself causing us to pay an extra night in Kotzebue ($200/night hotel) and miss our departure flight. None was weather related. All delays because he was flying too many ppl in and out of the bush. Prior to our arrival all flight arrangements were discussed and agreed to be NO problem. The start of our trip had warm weather in the low 60's. We were on top of a hill/mountain that the bou crisscrossed with no apparent direction. This made ambush blinds tough. Stalking was tough because of the dry brush. Mid week it started raining and getting cold and windy. This helped me on the very last day to hunt allowing me to stalk about 100 yards to get a shot at a medium sized bull. He was no monster but my first bou and YES great eating!
I was proud to have made a good shot in those conditions with my recurve. Click the pic's for a bigger view:

Bill
Aim Small

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 01:49:00 PM »
Bill...looks like ya made the BEST out of a tough situation...good shootin!!! Didn't mean to hijack your thread...

It really is a longtime dream of mine to hunt the Little Delta Region...One very large MOOSE would be at the top of said dream list...lol
Official Measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Compton's, Longhunters, and both Mo books.  Have tape, will travel!!!

Offline BillW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 03:02:00 PM »
Brad, Thanks! The nice thing about the Little Delta area would be it's proximity to Anchorage. If I recall right, it is to the south. I do think it gets a lot of pressure from the service men and locals.

Kotzebue was way NW of Anchorage and cost an additional $450 round trip flight. Flights to Anchorage out of Chicago O'Hare can be very reasonable. I got mine for $380.

I am reading Bows on the Little Delta again for the fourth time (still a great read) and I just got a 1959 Bear Grizzly (62" 48#@28") and I love it. It is like a poor mans 59 Kodiak. It still is a very pretty bow however.

I am surprised no one has chimed in yet about hunting the LD area or even that they had looked at hunting it yet.

Bill
Aim Small

Offline John/Alaska

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 06:34:00 PM »
Bill - The Little Delta is located SE of Fairbanks, south of the AK Hwy, and just west of Ft Greely
John/AK

Offline John/Alaska

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 02:51:00 PM »
BillW - After my reply above I got to thinking that for kicks & giggles maybe I should go in to the area this summer and take a peek. I haven't been back there and since new country is what I like to wonder and if time permits why not. I have to talk to a few relatives & friends and see what they know about it, who is currently trapping it, how much traffic the area gets,if there is a cleared strip on a bar that is near by, etc. My only cost would really be the charter if I can't get a friend to fly me in.

The cabin site shows up in a sat photo. I hunt similar country to the east of there to the Yukon boarder. Anyway it might be a fun thing to do if time permits.
John/AK

Offline droptine59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 04:39:00 PM »
Man I would love to hunt that region. I dream of it. As a kid growing up in the 60's, for the last 35 years of collecting, the homor of meeting and speaking with Glenn St. Charles, his sons and meeting and hanging out with Fred Bear back in the early 80's... I daydream daily about just walking that section earth, smelling the smells of yeatseryear, feeling the tundra under my feet..the same tundra walked upon by archery's heroes. Maybe ...a Trad Gang group hunt?.....

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 04:52:00 PM »
Bill As John said the Little Delta area or as most locals knbow it the Wood River area is south of Fairbanks .
To get to the Kotzebue area I would also fly out of Fairbanks rather than Anchorage.
Wright Air Service in Fairbanks is a great outfit to fly with for the Wood River /Little Delta area. For Caribou that is a draw only area so plan ahead.

Offline BillW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 04:52:00 PM »
Hi Rich, I agree that would be a great spot to check out. I would love a pilgrimage to the cabin. From what John says maybe all the critters a guy would want to hunt (Moose/bou) might now be a draw… I would have to check that. Anyhow, if John gets in there he could do a little recon for us…. In Joe St Charles’s article about revisiting the cabin, I think he said there is an owner still so maybe it can be rented out.

John, I like your idea!

Bill
Aim Small

Offline David Sapp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 05:15:00 PM »
I almost posted this same topic last month. I've been reading Bows on the Little Delta and Trailing a Bear recently and have been inspired to go see the place. Joe St Charles' article was a great one also. I guess if a group could be put together for 08 or 09, then it would be a 50th anniversary trip. I'm sure the LDB would want to make the trip as well. If this trip catches traction, I would really like to take part.

Is the draw in AK based on points like in the western states?
Hunting with the bow and arrow involves earning your way by making meat, getting your hands messy in the process and then recognizing your own reflection upon them.
"The Squirrel Chronicles"
Dean Torges

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 05:32:00 PM »
Hmmm, there was a thred like this about a week ago, was it on the "other" site?

Caribou is by draw and any area only withstands so much sheep pressure so by default it probably isn't going to have a high liklihood of many folks having hunted the area.

Offline John/Alaska

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2007, 06:13:00 PM »
David S - No, the draw system in Alaska is by chance. Yep the bou are by draw in 20A there as Steve says. Moose are by draw, regisration and harvest tag depending on hunt & season in that unit. Last season there was nice & long if you were going for antlerless but only a sept hunt with 50"/3 brow tine restrictions for bulls. Have to wait & see what F&G comes up with. I know I did not put in for that area for caribou. The 3 herds that I hunt are all general OTC or registration. But the late moose season is appealing as there will be less traffic & a possiblity that the creeks are froze or almost dry plus the folige will be less.

Anyway its fun to plan it out.

Steve - I guess I'll have to see what was discussed about it on the "other" site.

The cabin probably could not be rented for big game hunting purposes unless a guide owns it. We have some strange laws on that around here. However for small game or sightseeing possibly yes. Finding the owner won't be much of a problem especially if its a trapping cabin
John/AK

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2007, 06:20:00 PM »
Buddy of mine for his last flight in the military as a blackhawk pilot flew in and landed at the lil delta camp, (before the bh's, arrows, and boots were pulled from the camp).

This area is huge, the wood river is to the west of the flats, the delta's are to the east side of the flats!!!  I have a buddy who does moose hunt not all that far from the lil delta river itself and they USUALLY shoot bulls every year, rifle hunters, with access to a cub.

The one thing about the delta river area is to my knowledge it's not riverboat able so it'll keep the pressure somewhat out of the area from the lower end.

The cabin still stands as a few years ago and Dick Mcintyre is still hanging in there (the owner of the lil delta cabin).  He's still in north pole.

Offline David Sapp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2007, 07:34:00 PM »
If the drawing is by chance, can a group try to draw together or is it individual only? I've only heard about the complexities of the AK Fish and Game Regs, never have had the need to study them.

It would be awesome if this gathered a bit of steam and happened. I would, without reservation, be interested in going if there was room. Heck, it would be worth it to small game hunt, fish, and help pack out critters.
Hunting with the bow and arrow involves earning your way by making meat, getting your hands messy in the process and then recognizing your own reflection upon them.
"The Squirrel Chronicles"
Dean Torges

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline John/Alaska

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2007, 08:05:00 PM »
David - You can put in with a partner on most of the draws.

Dan - So he is still around! You are right access is tough without a plane. I wonder whos trapping back in there. I'll have to ask Dean the next time I see him if'n he remembers.
John/AK

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2007, 08:35:00 PM »
If there is a Trad Gang group wanting to do a "Little Delta" hunt, count me IN... I am booked full on trips this year but 2008 is doable. If you all are serious I want to and will make time for this trip. I am going to hunt Caribou in 2008 and cannot dream of a better trip than with some other trad hunters.

John III
Missouri
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2007, 08:36:00 PM »
If there is a Trad Gang group wanting to do a "Little Delta" hunt, count me IN... I am booked full on trips this year but 2008 is doable. If you all are serious I want to and will make time for this trip. I am going to hunt Caribou in 2008 (no trip booked yet)and cannot dream of a better trip than with some other trad hunters.

John III
Missouri
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline TexasBubba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2007, 10:07:00 AM »
This is the cabin on the Little Delta and the broadheads from above the cabin entrance before they were removed.

Bill Graves
U.S. Army Infantry (Retired) 1982-2004
Iraq - Afghanistan Veteran

I was a soldier - I am a soldier- I will always be a soldier

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2007, 10:20:00 AM »
I'd like to know more about the cost and possibility of group draws.  Having had the opportunity to hunt with the LDB I'd like to make the trip there, even like David S. says, just to be there, if unable to draw a tag.

Dennis

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©