3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone ever hunted the Little Delta region?  (Read 3559 times)

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone ever hunted the Little Delta region?
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2007, 12:25:00 PM »
for draws most you can put in for a party is 2.

My understanding is there is also an outfitter running out of this cabin, believe it was also mentioned in the TBM article Joe/Jay did after they took the bh's boots and shafts.    Might be a slight conflict of interest there, people paying big money to hunt and people who are just doing what they love.

Bubba, now how in sam heck did you get those pics from Jeff, he only gave me one lmao.  To bad he's in anchortown right know, ugg.

John,

dunno but I bet I can find out on this end also.    I got away from trapping all together.   That said I know the guy to ask!

Offline John/Alaska

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2007, 01:10:00 PM »
Dan - Some dude took his air boat up to the fork (past the cabin) but said he'd never do it again as there is too many rocks. Beat his boat up pretty bad from what I gather. So yeah unless you are a fool or water is high like it was last year taking a boat in is out.

What issue of TBM was that article in?? I get it but rarely read it. If its recent then I haven't tossed it yet. It might shed some useful reco info.
John/AK

Offline BillW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2007, 02:03:00 PM »
You guys from AK are a wealth of info. I really appreciate the input! I used an outfitter last year but went unguided. That is my style but to get a shot at hunting the LDR maybe its worth talking to the outfitter to see what he has to offer. I need to start looking at my back issues of TBM...LOL

If a group from here puts something together I would go. Perhaps after we all do a little research we can post here with our findings.

Bill
Aim Small

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2007, 02:45:00 PM »
The drawing hunt for caribou is DC827 and just aas Danny said, two people can apply as a "party".  Ok, here's the bad news.  In 2004, for the 150 available tags, 1619 people applied for a 9% drawing success ratio.

So, I suggest you find twenty hunters or ten pairs and all put in and one group will by likey get drawn and they can "represent" and take pictures for the whole gang.  Either that or plan on it likely taking a decade to get drawn.

Or, maybe just search out "your own" Little Delta and create a new legacy!

Offline John/Alaska

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2007, 03:25:00 PM »
Steve - I don't like the odds either even though they aren't too bad compared to some of the other draws. I'm contemplating whether to put in for that draw or not. I'll see how things line up about going in to there between now & the end of may. Its just sort of fun for me to explore new areas. I don't need to hunt it and if I can beg a friend to fly me in I'll go.

But I agree one should seek out their own "Little Delta" area. I have and its located in an area with huntable caribou & moose. There are also sheep there but its in the TMA and talk about odds that suck! This picture was taken this fall and is about 150 feet from my cabin looking across the creek.

The Little Delta area is about 100 plus miles west over the hill (Alaska Range)in the right of the picture at about the same latitude. The country is much the same all along here.
John/AK

Offline Jason Lester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2007, 04:50:00 PM »
Are ther satellite images of the the abin area that I can see online. Alsaska is an awesome place. My dad has their summer place up in Salcha. I wouldn't mind living there all the time. My wife even liked it (not an outdoors person) We were up two summers ago.
Jason Lester

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2007, 06:30:00 PM »
if you guys put together a hunt i would be very interested in doing the video and photography for the it. might bring the bow to chase some small game, but i would be happy tag'n a long and shooting  thousands of photos and miles of tape.
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2007, 01:49:00 AM »
I havent checked but what about a moose hunt on the lil delta?   Or maybe a moose float on the lil delta, thats if you can row lol?  Might be a better option then say caribou!

Boy looks like a lil water there John!!  Be kinda of sucky trying to cross with a full hind quarter pack LOL!  

Hey how did caribou go this fall?  Ya wipem out over there?   I didn't go.  Pretty much sumed my fall up into 5 days of "hunting".

Offline John/Alaska

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2007, 06:33:00 PM »
SnailSkin - Use googleEarth. The resolution isn't great but you can see the cabin site if you look close enough.

Guys - Right now the big thing is how best to get into the Little Delta. I've got to get my maps & stuff up in my office here in Tok so they are available when my buddies & clients come visiting. The game cop for that area is a friend and he hopefully will be by in the next few weeks as will a few others including several of pilots that haul hunters from here to hunt the interior as well as doing the F&G game counts. Those guys will know something and might even offer to fly me in or atleast a fly over and a recon of the river. That's my plan for now.

AkDan - Actually that creek generally isn't much except when storming with a heavy run off. Then it will move 2 ft boulders around. I almost lost my 6 whlr loaded with all my dewalt tools in it last spring. Luckily I didn't have a materials tow that trip. I really lucked out and got out okay. It was the worst that I'd ever seen it. Down right scared me and those things generally don't bother me too much! But normally it is very crossable with not much if any water.

caribou - Only hunted the Macomb herd that hangs around my cabin this year. Saw a few but most of the herd stayed further west on the other side of the Robertson during the 10 day hunt period. Didn't chase the 40 Mile herd at all. First time in years that I missed it! Was planning to go in Nov but as you remember it was a might chilly and then the hunt was closed early Dec. There is still the Nelchina herd open on the Tetlin Refuge until some time in april and I might go out in March when they begin migrating back through from the Yukon.
John/AK

Offline BillW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2007, 08:03:00 PM »
John, Thank you for doing all this leg work. Could we really do this? It seems like an unbelievable dream. It would be so neat to do it.
Bill
Aim Small

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2007, 10:29:00 PM »
You know Bill,

I believe it was Jay, (might have been Joe) that was in there a couple years ago, they flew in to as trip, the story is in your TBM.  I bet they'd tell you how to get in, who to fly with (I bet it was wrights also).  

NO need to bother the already understaffed troopers LOL.   You can also talk to Dick.  Last I checked he's in the phone book.  He still owns the cabin (or did the last I had heard) and I bet would know the best way in as he's been there a few times  ;)

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2007, 10:40:00 AM »
OK...for the sake of being a  :knothead:  

Google...WHAT ?

South of Fairbanks and West of Ft. Greely, I have been out there for 3 days. I am Cold and Hungry and would very much like to sit in the warmth of the "Little Delta Cabin" I don't get no river names. And when I search for LtL Delta I end up in Down Town Fairbanks at some school. Did they move the cabin??

Thanks for any help with this

Offline John/Alaska

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2007, 11:00:00 AM »
Vance - Try 63-49-00N & 147-21-00W that will get you within a mile or so. I don't have the exacts in front of me. Or put in 99737 then go west.

The cabin is located about the center of this one view

John/AK

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2007, 11:29:00 AM »
Thanks John....Is that it next to that lake or pond next to the river??

Offline TexasBubba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2007, 12:18:00 PM »
More images of the Little Delta River and the cabin from above.

Bill Graves
U.S. Army Infantry (Retired) 1982-2004
Iraq - Afghanistan Veteran

I was a soldier - I am a soldier- I will always be a soldier

Offline John/Alaska

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2007, 01:19:00 PM »
Thanx TexasBubba - Those are good shots and tell me alot!
John/AK

Offline Jason Lester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2007, 03:47:00 PM »
Gret pictures. I showed these to my Dad. He went out last summer near Mt. Hayes. He didn't go hunting but said he had fun just looking around and glassing and taking a few pictures.

This has got us talking again about a trip out somewhere like that.
Jason Lester

Offline Jason Lester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2007, 04:37:00 PM »
Guys,
  I downloaded GoogleEarth. Wow, what a neat tool. When it has clear enough images. I think I tried it a while back and it crashed my laptop. Must have been some updates since because it is working fine now.

Boy that looks like a neat area.
Jason Lester

Offline David Sapp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2007, 05:38:00 PM »
Looking into that valley and that braided river gets my pulse up just seeing it. I've been to AK twice with a pack on my back, but never a bow in my hand. Gorgeous country and a place where history lives. Could you imagine having Glenn St Charles telling hunting stories using that picture and pointing out where he and Fred and the gang made some of the stalks that were wrote about in "Bows on the Little Delta"? Wow.
Hunting with the bow and arrow involves earning your way by making meat, getting your hands messy in the process and then recognizing your own reflection upon them.
"The Squirrel Chronicles"
Dean Torges

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Alaska Dan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2007, 06:20:00 PM »
I have't hunted the Little Delta area, but a few years ago I went deer hunting on the Valiant Maid with Ed Bilderback. I gotta tell you, it was surreal. I slept in the bunk that Bob Munger used. Ed's a great guy and told a bunch of Fred Bear stories. I can understand the desire to visit the places we've all read about so many times. There's just something magical about it.
Dan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©