3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: $10 flemish string purchase  (Read 581 times)

Offline dougedwards

• Trad Bowhunter
$10 flemish string purchase
« on: June 03, 2013, 10:25:00 AM »
I thought I might be getting a pretty good deal on a Buy It Now item when I found a guy making flemish strings from B50 material but when the torn envelope arrived I was happy to see that the string did not seem to be damaged.  Since I had received the string and it appeared to be ok I left positive feedback for him.

I now put no more than four clockwise twists in the string and this is what I got.

I know that this is a $10 lesson learned but four twists in the string (clockwise) makes a flemish string unsalvagable??

Now the seller is saying that it is my fault for putting twists in the string to manage the brace height.  

Am I missing something here?

Doug
But you brethren are not of the flesh but of the Spirit if indeed the Spirit of Christ lives within you. Romans 8

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: $10 flemish string purchase
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 10:30:00 AM »
Well, if he's left handed, the string may twist the other way to shorten it.Four twists shouldn't unravel like that, though.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 10:33:00 AM »
string doesn't look waxed.  not hard to twist it back up.

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 10:38:00 AM »
Plus it appears all the ends are cut the same length.  I like mine to taper down nicely at the ends of the loop splices. It can be fixed.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline dougedwards

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 11:01:00 AM »
Well...now that I have submitted positive feedback I have little recourse.  The seller states that the string is "unsalvageable" because of the twists that were put in the string.  

I have no intent in trying to reconstruct the string but wanted some input on how these flemish strings are made and if they can in fact become useless if twists are put in them to adjust for brace.

I have been a compound bow archer and this is all pretty new to me. When I want to shorten the yokes on my compounds I put clockwise twists in them.

At least this was only a $10 lesson learned.  Could have been worse.

Doug
But you brethren are not of the flesh but of the Spirit if indeed the Spirit of Christ lives within you. Romans 8

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 11:03:00 AM »
There are some guys selling strings on the auction site that are fine string makers, but this doesn't appear to be one of them IMO.   :rolleyes:
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 11:18:00 AM »
Yes, don't discount all fleabay sellers- one of them actually makes all the strings for 3Rivers, he's the only one I buy from, but I'm sure there's others.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 11:30:00 AM »
You can't just assume that the string is clockwise.  You ended up untwisting the string and that's what holds a Flemish together.

The lesson is to look at the direction of twist before twisting a string.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline dougedwards

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 11:47:00 AM »
Originally posted by wingnut:
You can't just assume that the string is clockwise.  You ended up untwisting the string and that's what holds a Flemish together.

The lesson is to look at the direction of twist before twisting a string.

Mike
Yes, and I get that.  I have some pretty poor close in  vision without my glasses and I am sure that I twisted it the wrong way.  But four twists???

This thing either was not made exactly right or it unraveled in the package.  Four twists will not shorten or lengthen brace on any bow too much.

I will be sure to put on my specs before ever attempting to twist a flemish string again.....that is if I ever purchase another.

Bad taste in my mouth after this.

Doug

Offline petalumapete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 12:22:00 PM »
Hate to say it BUT

A $10 string? Ya got what you paid for.

Brutal I know but to good of a deal is almost always asking for it. A new Flemish string for that price? You should have known better

I know it sucks the guy won't stand behind his work. But give it a rub and move on. Count yourself lucky it was only $10
Big Foot Sasquatch Recurve
64" 57#@ 27.5
Big Foot Flat Liner Long Bow
64" 49#@

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 12:27:00 PM »
didn't you believe what I told you on the other site??     :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline str8jct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 12:33:00 PM »
Four twists in either direction should not cause a properly made string to unravel.

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 12:49:00 PM »
If he says he can't fix that string because it's unsalvageable he probably needs a lesson or two, or perhaps need to be a bit more honest.  I had some do that to me early in my string making and I was able to fix them.  But twisting the string to add more brace ht. is common practice. Un twisting to decrease brace ht. is common practice. But if you're untwisting, there is a limit you can untwist it.  If you untwist it too far the splices will untwist and look like the picture you posted.  But even when that happens it can be fixed.  In fact if you send it to me I'll fix it for you.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 01:06:00 PM »
4 twists one way or the other won't cause a problem with a properly made string.

Offline dougedwards

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2013, 01:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by moebow:
didn't you believe what I told you on the other site??       :biglaugh:        :biglaugh:        :biglaugh:      

Arne
Sure I did but not all of my intent is to gather information about string construction.  There will be others like myself who are stepping into uncharted waters and learning new stuff every day concerning the sport of trad shooting and this information should be helpful to them also.

I learned a little bit from this venture and hopefully others like myself can too.

Doug

BTW....I sure whish I could mimic your shooting form.  Your videos help me a lot.

Offline dougedwards

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2013, 01:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by petalumapete:
Hate to say it BUT

A $10 string? Ya got what you paid for.

Brutal I know but to good of a deal is almost always asking for it. A new Flemish string for that price? You should have known better

I know it sucks the guy won't stand behind his work. But give it a rub and move on. Count yourself lucky it was only $10
No reason to hate to say it if it is the truth brother.  I hear ya loud and clear.

Doug

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2013, 02:23:00 PM »
Actually, I've sold lots of b-50 and b-55 strings for $10.  I still do, the D-10 strings are more though.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline Flatshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2013, 02:46:00 PM »
Do yourself a favor, buy a string board and twist your own. It's simple and fun to do. As was mentioned, righties twist counter-clockwise, lefties twist clockwise as a rule. Your string is very salvageable... wax it and do it over once you learn how. 3 Rivers has an excellent "How To" DVD and they also sell the boards. Good luck

Offline JJ1956

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2013, 04:29:00 PM »
you have a guy in your state that makes a fine string ,his  name is Allen Shafer with Lefties Are Us

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2013, 04:45:00 PM »
Four twists in the wrong direction should have done nothing other than make the string longer.

The guy who built the string didn't remove the twist when he did the second loop.  That's why it came apart.

Caveat Emptor.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©