3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Squirrel hunting report.  (Read 194 times)

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
Squirrel hunting report.
« on: June 03, 2013, 01:44:00 PM »
Headed out to a local conservation area this AM to see if I could get a bushy tail or two. I headed for a section of the area in a far corner I knew to off limits to firearms, a nice mix of hard and soft woods. To say the undergrowth was thick would be a gross understatement.  This made moving about with any level of silence slow and difficult . Fortunately I made strong choice and young greys, foxes, and hybrids we all chasing each other near me. No kills but got plenty of shots lost 4 of 6 arrows but no biggie was well worth it!

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Squirrel hunting report.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 02:02:00 PM »
Btw sunny and 68 following two days of bad storms very little wind from the north.

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 02:08:00 PM »
Sounds like fun!  We have to wait until September...
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline bowhunterdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 08:48:00 PM »
Sounds like a good time. As far as losing arrows, that stopped for me when I started shooting blunt tips on a three feather flu flu.
Martin Hunter 70#@28"

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 05:33:00 AM »
Hey guys - in America is it open season on squirrels anywhere, or do you have to get a license or draw for them?  Does it vary from State to State.

Sorry if it is a silly question but just wondering if they are treated like vermin (starlings, sparrows, rabbits, foxes), or they have a bag limit or season.

What do you do with them when you kill them - dog food?

cheers

Sutto
One hour of life, crowded to the full with glorious action .... is worth whole years of those mean observances of paltry decorum, in which men steal through existence, like sluggish waters through a marsh, without either honor or observation

Offline T-Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 06:36:00 AM »
In Florida the season starts in the fall and run through the winter, they are fun to hunt, we love eat them.  There is noting better than fried squirrels with gravy and grits.     :bigsmyl:
William

JD Berry Valor 66” 45@28
Great Northern Bush Bow 62" 47@28"
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 02:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by suttoman:
Hey guys - in America is it open season on squirrels anywhere, or do you have to get a license or draw for them?  Does it vary from State to State.

Sorry if it is a silly question but just wondering if they are treated like vermin (starlings, sparrows, rabbits, foxes), or they have a bag limit or season.

What do you do with them when you kill them - dog food?

cheers

Sutto
Sutto in the states only a few species are listed as vermin. Usually ground squirrels, pigs, and starlings. Foxes, rabbits, and tree squirrels are considered a game animal and you must have a hunting tag. I eat them they taste very good especially the juveniles that are out now. Ver tender older ones are a bit tough and need to be simmered. They can be baked grilled our fried. Anything you would use a bird or rabbit in you can substitute squirrel for the most part.

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 04:01:00 PM »
Sounds like my squirrel hunting, broken and lost arrows.      :D    I did break a squirrel's tail and couldn't believe when a few ran away from what I thought were good shots - fast critters!  

Most places have a squirrel (or small game) season - so you can't just kill them year round.

Oh and squirrels done right is some of the best eating.  Gotta get that tree-rat image out of your head.
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline Duker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 04:41:00 PM »
Glad to see i'm not the only one who goes thru a lot of arrows hunting squirrels     ;)   Did manage to get a couple this year  :D  GOOD eating and a whole lot of fun hunting  :archer2:

Offline Eric Sprick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 05:24:00 PM »
Gonna try and get out Sunday morning.  I have a well-stocked back quiver, always a good time!

Eric

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©