3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow tuning help please  (Read 298 times)

Offline Randy M

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow tuning help please
« on: June 03, 2013, 03:42:00 PM »
Guys/gals, I'm having a whale of a time trying to get my arrows flying true from my new bow.

The bow...57" hybrid, 50 lbs at 28, but I draw close to 29.  So probably 52-53 at my draw.  The bow is cut past center by about 1/16 of an inch, with a very thin strike plate.  8 strand fast flight string, with 2 string leeches on it.

The arrows...Cabelas Stalkers 55-70, full length.  100 grain insert, 150 grain head, crest wrap, and 3, 5" left helical feathers.  These weigh about 520-530.

Paper tuning gives me a slight high, slight right tear, every time.  Any thoughts?

thanks,
Randy

Offline Gapmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow tuning help please
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 04:20:00 PM »
When you shoot for line, are they impacting to the right or left or going straight down the middle?
"Just passing through"

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 05:00:00 PM »
If you are right handed, arrows are stiff. Try a heavier point or lighter spine shaft.
John

Offline SAVIOUR68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 05:03:00 PM »
Randy if your right handed you tear shows weak[nock right of point impact], how long are the arrows your shooting ? A 30-30.25 arrow shaft you would be close i bet with that insert/point set up.
You can also try to build out your strike plate slightly or if you are using velcro try a piece of leather.

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 06:58:00 PM »
Check out wilderness custom arrows site and proper spine he has a great pictorial I really like paper tuning

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 07:01:00 PM »
I would say right hand it is stiff maybe.  Depends a little on how far from the paper and how small the rip.  Could be seeing over correction from to weak or even close enough.

How long is full length?

I shoot bows of the same weight cut and draw length. Some will want over 30.5",100 grain insert and 200 or more point weight with 400 spine.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Randy M

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 08:13:00 PM »
Thanks for the help.  

@Gapmaster - arrows hit straight, all the way back to about 15 yards.  Haven't tried any further than that, yet.

@Saviour68 - arrows are 31".

@Gator - thanks.  Will do.

@Xtrema - paper is about 3 feet from the bow.

Thanks for all the help!

Randy

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 08:21:00 PM »
I suggest moving back to 5 or 6 feet so the arrow has time to straighten a little.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline Randy M

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 08:30:00 PM »
Thanks Macbow, I'll give that a try.

Offline SAVIOUR68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 07:56:00 AM »
Sorry Randy I miss read your post and you do show a stiff arrow spine,as suggested above move back a little to see if it changes

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 08:10:00 AM »
I think you need to adjust the nock height to eliminate the high tear. Then you can look at just the right tear. If it's not very long, say 1/2" or so. It probably doesnt matter unless youre trying to wint the olympics

Offline Randy M

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 09:21:00 AM »
Originally posted by LittleBen:
I think you need to adjust the nock height to eliminate the high tear. Then you can look at just the right tear. If it's not very long, say 1/2" or so. It probably doesnt matter unless youre trying to wint the olympics
Thanks. Both are about a half inch off. Trying for perfection. I have CDO. It's like OCD except the letters are in the correct order, like they should be.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©