3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New Super Grizzly or Grizzly ?  (Read 1084 times)

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
New Super Grizzly or Grizzly ?
« on: June 03, 2013, 04:57:00 PM »
Has anyone bought one yet and how are they to shoot. I have the urge to get one in 45# and would like to know if they compare to the feel of the older ones.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Ifrit617

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Super Grizzly or Grizzly ?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 06:36:00 PM »
I'm also curious about this.

Jon
Quinn Comet 40#@30"

Offline Mississippi bow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 06:56:00 PM »
I just bought a new super kodiak grayling green and It is great. I have not heard of anybody buying the new super grizzly. I have a buddy that shoots a pretty old grizzly and it shoots hard and he is dang accurate with it.

Offline JMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 07:11:00 PM »
:coffee:  curious myself,,,

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 08:32:00 PM »
Unless your hung up on Bear...for about $100 more you can get a "Vanilla" Fedora of all Actionwood that will put the Bear to shame performance wise with bow weights being equal.

With Mike's dacron string my 52# Lefty will shoot faster than quite a few bows 5-6 lbs heavier. Plus your getting a custom bow not production model. Just my 3 cents Jim....
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Guaraci2010

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 08:36:00 PM »
I have a new Super Grizzly at 50# and love it. I think you won´t be dissapointed. Realy beautiful and great shooter. Never shoot an old one.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 05:38:00 AM »
Joe, I'm hung up on the working man's bow    :archer:   I was shooting both my Grizzly and my sons older super Grizzly and just thought about trying a newer one.

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 06:48:00 AM »
Stone Knife, I have a beautiful super grizzly in 45lbs on the rack. what makes it different from the rest? The riser looks kind of spalted as it did not take all the grey color when it was being dyed. Really adds a special and unique look.

Bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 07:05:00 AM »
Love my old ones (2). Haven't shot a new one. I do think the price of the new one is a bit steep, but, if you're into Super Grizzlys then you understand the desire for them. Mine aren't going anywhere.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 12:16:00 PM »
Sent you a PM Jim, I guess I want either the Super Grizzly or just the Grizzly depends on if the grips are the same as my 72 Grizzly.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 12:48:00 PM »
Unless something changed recently the grips on any Grizzly or Super Kodiak built in the last several years is pretty sucky. The deepest part of the grip is way too low and way too narrow.

You can tell my '72 Grizzly had a little effort put into the grip, it just melts into your hand. The arrow is right down on my knuckle where it is supposed to be. Even though the bow is over 40yrs old it still shoots fantastic.

I handled all the models when the new line came out a few years ago. I saw no improvement in the grips and decided against buying one. I hope the latest bows have better grips, I have not seen any up close yet.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 02:56:00 PM »
I know the fast flight compilable Grizzly's were pretty chunky in the grip area, but I heard the new ones are better made not sure about the Super though.

Offline Ifrit617

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 03:20:00 PM »
I quite liked the grip on my 2012 grizzly before I sold it. I thought it was very comfy.

Jon
Quinn Comet 40#@30"

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2013, 04:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ifrit617:
I quite liked the grip on my 2012 grizzly before I sold it. I thought it was very comfy.

Jon
How did it shoot?

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2013, 11:10:00 AM »
My $.02.....I don't think you can compare the old ones with the new ones. If you like everything about the old ones.......find an old one!!   :cool:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2013, 12:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by ron w:
My $.02.....I don't think you can compare the old ones with the new ones. If you like everything about the old ones.......find an old one!!    :cool:  
I have an old one, I just wonder why everyone thinks the old ones are better is because the new ones are junk or because of nostalgia? My thought is that the materials and glues of today might just be better and if it's the same bow with better techniques and materials it would seem that a new one would last a lifetime. I love the old ones but I also want to keep an open mind about Bear's new products after all if no one buys them they will quit making them and in the end very few will be shooting Bear.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2013, 12:58:00 PM »
Talk it over wth Big Jim. Ask him about a return policy?? I think you'll be happy with the bow given the open mind you've adopted.

Old bow = solid wood riser w/red stripe

New bow = action wood riser w/red stripe

Old bow has no riser holes except for stabilizer/bow reel.

New bow has quiver inserts in riser, but not for the kwikee kwiver bracket   :(  

Old bow = flat shelf

New bow = raduised self (I'm pretty sure)
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline dad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2013, 01:27:00 PM »
My daughter has the New Super Grizzly LH in 45#. Her draw length is 27" and shoots a 1916 with authority. She likes it and shoots it whenever she can. The difference between the standard and the Super one lamb vs two. The riser is heaver and its FF capable.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2013, 01:31:00 PM »
I know that a dealer near me carried Bear bows for years, sold a ton of them. Then when Trad archery started to make a come back and Bear jumped back into it more he stopped selling them because he felt that the quality of the product had taken a turn for the worse. His words not mine, but I did respect his opinion when he was in business, he is now retired.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©