3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow Fabrication - Suggestions for saw, jigs, etc  (Read 535 times)

Offline ArrowCraCra

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow Fabrication - Suggestions for saw, jigs, etc
« on: June 03, 2013, 06:09:00 PM »
Hi everyone,

I am getting set up to make my own arrows and I have been searching around for jigs, saws, feathers, adhesives, and arrow making supplies in general but I am a little overwhelmed.    :eek:  
Question 1)

From your experience in making arrows what would you suggest to a newbie and where would you go to get the following?:

Jig
Saw
other tools?
Feathers
Adhesives
other solvents that may be needed for cleaning shafts?

Question 2) How to...?

What is your advice on making the process efficient and predictable?

What helical do you place on your fletchings (right hand shooter)? R/L/Straight

Thank you!
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.

John Wayne

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow Fabrication - Suggestions for saw, jigs, etc
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 06:32:00 PM »
ok number one wood arrows or carbon if wood to cut em i use a sharp and i do mean sharp knife then i self nock em with a little hand saw and file then put some sinew around the nock end for the other end i  use a arrow sharpener the ones that look like a pencil sharpener then put ya fletching on using a fletching jig i use a right hand helical. i am sure someone else will tell ya different any how just have fun making them. as for ya first question i would have a look on here for the jig  saw if you want one feathers adhesives if you are going to use carbon shafts you will need the solvent to clean the shaft before putting on your fletch only if you use plastic ones other than that soap and water will do fine then dry em and fletch. i hope this has helped oh btw any good jig will do   i use a jojan cheep but works   :thumbsup:oh and as far as right hand and left hand no dif  if you shoot right you can shoot left hand fletch or straight   :thumbsup:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 07:31:00 PM »
I'm gona watch this thread. I'm tired of having someone else cut and fletch my arrows. I need to just buy the stuff and learn to do it myself.  :)

Offline ArrowCraCra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 08:07:00 PM »
Jeff B - My go to arrows are aluminum (cheep) but I do shoot carbons also.  

TxAg - right on, I agree - DIY time!

John Wayne

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 09:27:00 PM »
PM me your email and I'll send you a little article I wrote for our archery club. Can't tell you all the stuff you need for woodies, but here is what I use for carbons.
Bitzenberger Jig, your choice on RW or LW
Weston High Speed arrow saw
Bohning Platinum for feathers
Gorilla Super Glue Gel for inserts, or the bohning hot melt, if you go with super glue, the gorilla is plasticized and is extremely impact resistant.
91% isopropyl alcohol-DO NOT USE RUBBING ALCOHOL
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 12:03:00 AM »
Cheap cut off saw from Harbor freight, abrasive wheels from ****.  Fletching jig of your choice, glue or tape of your choice.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 12:37:00 AM »
How much effort are you willing to expend? Alum. and carbons can be made up real quick with a fletching jig, feathers, the CORRECT glue,and a razor saw and miter box from the hobby store.
I do prefer a cutoff saw that I got from Harbor Freight. I made a jig to hold the shaft in place so I can cut each shaft the same length. All the items needed can be had from any number of Trad Gang sponsors listed above. Maybe to get started get the arrow making DVD from 3Rivers.
Good luck and welcome to one of the benefits of trad archery, DYI.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 12:39:00 AM »
Originally posted by M60gunner:
How much effort are you willing to expend? Alum. and carbons can be made up real quick with a fletching jig, feathers, the CORRECT glue,and a razor saw and miter box from the hobby store.
I do prefer a cutoff saw that I got from Harbor Freight. I made a jig to hold the shaft in place so I can cut each shaft the same length. All the items needed can be had from any number of Trad Gang sponsors listed above. Maybe to get started get the arrow making DVD from 3Rivers.
Good luck and welcome to one of the benefits of trad archery, DYI.
"DYI" Do Yourself In????  :D
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 01:54:00 AM »
Originally posted by ArrowCraCra:
Jeff B - My go to arrows are aluminum (cheep) but I do shoot carbons also.  

TxAg - right on, I agree - DIY time!
Hey man no need for a saw to cut aluminums. Go to auto zone and get a small pipe cutting tool made for cutting brake lines. Works great and costs about 10 bucks. to chamfer the inside you can chuck a little pointed sanding stone from a dremel tool in your drill or use a case chamfer tool from lee reloading. either one works well. I started building my own and aluminum has been very easy and forgiving to work with for a total noob like me.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 08:05:00 AM »
For carbons, you can cut them off with basically anything you can get to cut them, but cut them 1/4" long and then finish them on a disc sander with medium paper. I've done it many times, make sure you have sufficient dust collection though. Arrows saws are expensive and many people already have a disc/belt sander.

Offline ArrowCraCra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 11:21:00 AM »
M60 - what is the "the CORRECT glue"?

Good advice everyone.  Thanks.  Are there any out there that have a specific setup(s) and method you use or arrow making stations that you use?

Products that work, that did not work that kind of a thing?

:confused:

John Wayne

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 11:35:00 AM »
Opps, DYI, My IPad has a mind of it's own.
As to your question about what fletch, right or left,the old standby was right handed use right wing, left handed use left wing. But... alot of folks do not use that rule anymore and their reasons are varied. There are threads here devoted to this subject. Some folks do not care either way.
For years I cleaned my alum. shafts with Comet cleanser and hot water. No need for the fancy shaft cleaner. Carbons are another story, I use acetone or Fletch-Laq thinner to wipe then down. I prefer wraps on carbons because I have never had a feather fall off using wraps and fletch-tite glue. Agian these are my experiences and others may do the same or have a way that works for them. In the end you will find what works for you.

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 11:36:00 AM »
I use a tube cutter to cut aluminum and carbon arrows. They come out really straight and need very little if any truing up. I use a BPE fletcher and Bohning Fletch Tite Platinum glue. I use wraps on carbons and just clean the shaft good for aluminum.

Offline ArrowCraCra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 12:26:00 PM »
Good stuff M60 and Alex.  Thanks

John Wayne

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 12:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by Alexander Traditional:
I use a tube cutter to cut aluminum and carbon arrows. They come out really straight and need very little if any truing up. I use a BPE fletcher and Bohning Fletch Tite Platinum glue. I use wraps on carbons and just clean the shaft good for aluminum.
Any trouble with the carbon splintering?...i guess you just take it slow with easy pressure?  I've wanted to try this but have always been cautioned against it regarding carbons.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2013, 01:11:00 PM »
Tx Ag i've not had any trouble with splintering. I do however run a bead of super glue around the end that I cut and it soaks down in,just in case. You are right about going slow. If you start out too fast especially on aluminum it will get crooked on the first round.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2013, 01:22:00 PM »
Thanks guys

Regarding fletching, is it worth the extra money to get a multi fletcher vs a single?

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2013, 02:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by TxAg:
Thanks guys

Regarding fletching, is it worth the extra money to get a multi fletcher vs a single?
It just depends on your personal taste. I have no problem with the single. I put one in and go about mowing the grass or whatever it is I"m doing,and then just swing buy in about ten minutes and put another feather on,and before you know it you've got a half a dozen arrows fletched.

Offline Real Buckmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2013, 05:54:00 PM »
What Biathlonman  says: is how I do it. I just bought the saw this weekend from harbon freight and cut 4 dozen carbons no problem works great $32

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2013, 06:02:00 PM »
you need to first check out the how to resources forum!
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©