3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Saskatchewan Bear Hunt  (Read 1133 times)

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
Saskatchewan Bear Hunt
« on: June 03, 2013, 10:28:00 PM »
My wife and I left on May 23rd for a bear hunt with Rockridge Outfitters in Carrot River,Saskatchewan. We were to meet friends Joe and Janice Furlong, Larry and Mala Jones, and Joe and Judy Atherton there on Sunday the 26th for the hunt that would start on Monday the 27th. This was to be not only a hunt but a small vacation for us and the ladies. The camp is situated on the north side of the Carrot River. There is no bridge but there is a low water crossing. Well the water was too high for the pickups so they were left on the south bank and the outfitter came and got us in an old Ford that was jacked up and had big tires.

Camp was nice and very remote. It consisted of two log cabins that were furnished with all the amenities and two bedrooms each.

On the morning of the 27th, equipment was checked and arrows were shot to loosen muscles that had been cramped up in the truck for 3 days and 1650 miles of driving.

I have hunted bears several times but never taken a color phase and was looking for a cinnamon/brown, or even hopefully a blonde. There was a nice blonde taken the week before we arrived.

Monday afternoon, my guide Leo, and I left at 4:00PM and rode separate 4 wheelers with me leaving mine about a quarter mile from the bait because he said the bears would damage it if left too close. After freshening the bait and telling me shooting hours ended at 9:20, he left to freshen other baits. I was to stay until then and walk out to the 4 wheeler which would be after dark. Let me say I wasn't too happy to do that but hoped I was brave enough.

Leo left at 4:30 and the first bear showed up at 4:50. It was a female weighing about 150 pounds. I turned on the video camera and filmed her for a half hour. It was hard to keep from laughing out loud at the contortions she got her body into trying to get at the beaver carcass tied inside the barrel. After close to an hour of frustration, she left. Another slightly smaller female came and wrestled with the barrel for a few minutes. She suddenly came to attention and then ran to my left and disappeared. The first female came back and was followed by a very nice boar. She went to the bait but kept chasing the boar away. I turned the video back on and the battery was dead. This was a new camera and I had fully charged it before leaving home. I suppose it was depleted during the trip. Anyway, there would be no video of the boar.

He came over to the tree my stand was in and came around to the side the climbing sticks were on. I thought at first he was coming up as he stood on his hind feet and stretched as high as possible. The stand was only about 8 feet high and his nose was way too close to my feet! About now I decided if given a shot at him, I would definitely take it. He was not a color phase but too good to pass up.

The sow kept him away from the bait and that was the only direction I could shoot. He would get in my only opening and have either his butt or head facing me offering no shot. After more than 30 minutes of circling my stand and getting chased by the sow, he walked between her and the stand. He stopped offering a broadside shot at about 14 yards. As I drew he sensed something and started to run. Already at full draw, I swung to the right as he ran and released. The arrow caught him behind the right shoulder angling slightly forward.

The arrow was exactly where it should be and as he ran, I could see equal amounts sticking out both sides. He quickly disappeared in the thick brush but I heard him stop and then heard two distinct moans.

I prepared to climb down, loosening the harness, putting the fanny pack back on and so forth but when I looked at the bait, there was another bear on it. I clapped my hands and yelled but it just stood and looked. After climbing down it was still looking at me so I clapped and yelled again. It only ran a few yards and stood upright looking back. Finally after it moving a few yards and looking back several times, I was able to run it off.

My guide was still out freshening baits but had his cell so he was called and came to camp to help find and retrieve the bear. My wife Jeanne accompanied us to the site to take some pics and the bear was quickly found. This is what it looked like.

We cleaned him up somewhat the next morning and took a few more pics. I was shooting my Black Widow PCHX Osage and Carbon Express shafts tipped with Joe Furlongs Tuffhead broadheads.

I actually had some other pics to upload but I have fought with Photobucket long enough. I have no idea why it is giving me so much trouble.

My quest for a color phase will have to wait for another time. I remember reading what writer Judd Cooney wrote many years ago...."I am a trophy hunter 'till any legal animal comes along". I suppose that fits me as I ended my hunt on the first day. No regrets though as he is a fine bear with the thickest, most beautiful coat I have seen. The outfitter green scored him at 18 and 4/16ths inches which might qualify him for Comptons or Pope and Young if he doesn't shrink too much.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Saskatchewan Bear Hunt
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 10:36:00 PM »
Awesome!  Congratulations on a beautiful bear!  :clapper:
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline Cari-bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 10:45:00 PM »
Congratulations Bill!!
Say Hi to the Joe's and there wives and good luck to them
Abe

Offline rbcorbitt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 10:46:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
"I would rather be amongst forest animals and the sounds of nature, then amongst city traffic and the noise of man" - A.D. Williams

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 10:49:00 PM »
Awesome story! Thanks for sharing    :bigsmyl:
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 11:05:00 PM »
Excellent story Bill.  Congratulations!
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 01:02:00 AM »
Nice bear !

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 01:42:00 AM »
Looks big to me!  WOW!! Congrats
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline shankspony

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 02:40:00 AM »
Fine looking bear. Must have been a great afternoon watching them.

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 02:57:00 AM »
Nice bear Bill!! Congrats
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline T-Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 05:08:00 AM »
Congrats, Great Story, thanks for sharing.
William

JD Berry Valor 66” 45@28
Great Northern Bush Bow 62" 47@28"
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 05:55:00 AM »
GREAT STORY AND BEAR...CONGRATS TO YOU!!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline JMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 06:32:00 AM »
Great story Bill!! Nice bear!!   :clapper:

Offline Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 06:37:00 AM »
Nice bear Bill.  They are curious critters that like to see what we are.  I am addicted I believe.

D.P.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 06:38:00 AM »
Great shot and Bear!  sounds like that place is full of em.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2013, 07:32:00 AM »
Great looking bear, Congrats!!

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2013, 07:32:00 AM »
Congratulations Bill.  Beautiful bear.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2013, 07:43:00 AM »
What a great looking bear!  Congratulations Bill.  With your goal of a color phase still intact you have all the excuse you need to keep going back. Perfect!
Are you planning to be at Ryan's this weekend with your dog?
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline MR BILL SHORTY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2013, 07:51:00 AM »
Nice one! Congratulations

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2013, 08:06:00 AM »
very nice....  I love the Carrot River area...I wen twith Walters Wilderness Camp in the 90s...and that whole region is full of nice bears.

Congrats!
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©