3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A little Pre-elk Season Story.  (Read 4776 times)

Offline Bill Watts II

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A little Pre-elk Season Story.
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2013, 12:10:00 AM »
The unit I was hunting had a good population of black bears in it and occasionally you would find signs of them. I found this little gem between me and my watering hole. It wasn't fresh, but still did a fine job of keeping me mindful that they were around.

One night I woke up to the sound of slow breaking timber and then crash-thudding on the ground. I listened to this for about 15 minutes and then went back to sleep. There would be this slow cr-r-r-raack, some light crashing followed by a loud thud. It would be quiet for a minute or two and then repeat itself again. I decided I'd check it out after my morning hunt. Sounded like it was about 200 yards or so down hill from camp.
After my morning hunt chasing the "heard bull" again. I went down to where I heard the sound and found this.

It was a dead tree with all the bark freshly ripped off it. I had seen a number of these around but none were fresh. During the night a bear had climbed the tree and peeled the bark to get to beetles, grubs, and termites that infested the layer just below the bark. Some of the pieces were at least 4' long and the peeled section of the tree went up at least 30'

Pucker-factor was now raised to level "yellow"!

Now, mind you I am not afraid of being attacked by a bear. Fear of a bear attack is right up there with fear of being wooed by a love-struck Sasquatch. However, a bear coming into camp and destroying my tent and gear looking for a pizza-pie while I'm out hunting, ultimately sending me back to civilization to re-gear, and cutting my hunt short? Now that's something to worry about!
Here's another picture of the tree from a different angle. I peeled a piece of bark off another tree just to see what lies beneath it and was amazed at how many beetle larvae there were. I reckon a fella could live off them for a while if he were so inclined or in the situation ever arose where he needed to. Like, say, if a bear were to find his food cache and eat all his daily rations. ;^) Of course said bear might find himself on the menu rather than me eating bugs or having to leave the wilderness!

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2013, 08:14:00 AM »
Great story telling so far...!

Looking forward to the rest of the story..  :thumbsup:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2013, 08:36:00 AM »
This is fantastic!  I can almost smell the mountains through your words.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline kerry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2013, 08:54:00 AM »
This is good.

Offline Trout Guide

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2013, 09:32:00 AM »
Bill,
Thanks for sharing the story and pics. Looking forward to the rest. I know about that "wrestling sore" your mentioned in your first post. Have a great brown bear hunt.
John 3:16

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2013, 11:01:00 AM »
you've got guts sir to even think about shooting an elk 12 miles back in by your self....... yikes!
Make a life, not a living

Offline medic77

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2013, 03:15:00 PM »
Getting me excited to go
You're Off to Great PLACES!
      Today is YOUR day!
You're MOUNTAIN is Waiting.
  So....Get on Your WAY!  - Dr. Seuss

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2013, 03:31:00 PM »
Great story!   :campfire:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Bill Watts II

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2013, 07:33:00 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I'm glad you're enjoying the tale.

Anyway around the fourth day I couldn't stand the smell of myself any longer and bathed. Bathing was done just downstream a couple yards from where I was watering. It is neither a pretty sight, sound, nor experience, truth be told. The water that comes out of those springs is really cold, and it physically hurts to pour it over yourself. I'm always paranoid when doing it that someone is recording the experience on video and that it is going to make it's way to Youtube.

The weed pictured above made for a great soap and cover scent. I had found it while watering on the hike in and noticed that it had a powerful pleasant scent that stuck with you for a long time. I sampled some of it by rubbing it on the underside of my forearm to make sure it was safe, and then increased the area when it showed no ill-effects. When it was deemed safe I crushed a bunch of it up and used it as an additive to my soap strips I packed in. Then when I was done bathing and dried off I made a poulstice of the stuff and wiped down with it. The smell stuck with me for a couple more days, and as I said it was pleasant.

Offline Bill Watts II

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2013, 07:37:00 PM »

Every step you take out here is either up and down, or sidehill, and your feet take a beating. One of the best things I have found is to soak your feet in a spring when you can until they ache. Somehow seems to rejuvinate the whole body. Might also want to do this downstream from where you water, or at least wait til after you're done drinking before soaking.

Offline Bill Watts II

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2013, 07:38:00 PM »

By the fourth day of hunting I was ready to move camp. I had elk encounters every morning and every evening and had a few shot opportunities, but I had two major factors to contend with: One was the fact that if I were to kill an elk this far back in that I would be pressed to get the elk out and still make my flight, and the second was that I had educated all the elk around me and needed to find some new "dumb" ones.
I broke camp and moved a couple miles up higher, and back toward the trail head. I was up close to 10'000ft and started to find some new fresh elk sign. I set up camp on the peak and prepared for an evening hunt.

Here is a picture close to that camp. My previous camp was in the cloudd-shaded area in the background

Offline Bill Watts II

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2013, 07:57:00 PM »

New campsite. Doesn't look like much but was pretty darn comfy for something brought in on your back. I'm pretty well convinced I have compiled about the lightest, most compact solo system there is........almost.;^)

The tent is a Big Agnes "Flycreek UL2" It weighs in at 2lb 10ozs.  On this hunt I could have gotten by with a lighter tarp type shelter, but in the past "wilderness" weather has always made me thankful for a fully enclosed tent.

Offline CJ Pearson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2013, 08:00:00 PM »
Good story so far Bill.. Enjoying every step of it.

Offline JLeMieux

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2013, 08:33:00 PM »
Excellent read and pictures!
Acadian Woods TD Recurve 58 @ 28
Acadian Woods Recurve 55 @ 28
Acadian Woods Tree Stick 60 @ 27
Acadian Woods Tree Stick 47 @ 28
Martin Hunter Recurve 50 @ 28

Offline glass76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2013, 09:03:00 PM »
Enjoying your hunt, thanks for sharing.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2013, 09:17:00 PM »
Perfect early summer read!  Thanks.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2013, 09:33:00 PM »
Really digging the story.  A tarptent contrail would save you a little more then 8 ounces...

Offline LoneWolf73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2013, 09:33:00 PM »
Very Interesting! Thanks. Good talking to ya the other day. We will have to do that Beer thing as the Summer heats up.........
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-BOW in one hand-ARROWS in the other-Body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming-WOO HOO! WHAT A RIDE!

Offline Sharpend60

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2013, 09:37:00 PM »
That small plant you mentioned is yarrow. A very good astrigent and stimulant. Rub it in cut or scrapes, pack it in your lip for a pick me up or , my personal favorite, brush your teeth with it. One of my favorite little plants.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2013, 10:01:00 PM »
:campfire:  Okay, I caught up with my reading and drooling over the great pictures and I am ready for more.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©