3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A little Pre-elk Season Story.  (Read 4775 times)

Offline SAVIOUR68

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A little Pre-elk Season Story.
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2013, 02:49:00 PM »
:campfire:     :campfire:    :campfire:    :campfire:    :campfire:

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2013, 02:52:00 PM »
Man...you got me on a string like that big bull.

Great story telling and awesome pictures.  I know it take allot more effort to take quality pictures when you're hunting by yourself but it absolutely makes the story...thanks for taking the time!!!

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2013, 03:00:00 PM »
:campfire:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline ermont

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2013, 03:05:00 PM »
NM is notorious for it's iron elk.   :eek:

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2013, 03:34:00 PM »
Fastest five pages I've read in quite sometime.  Well done...Glad I caught this.

:thumbsup:
62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2013, 04:19:00 PM »
Great time year for a great story! Thanks for taking the time to do it! Love It!

TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline LoneWolf73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2013, 04:30:00 PM »
Emotional roller coaster. Like being there!
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-BOW in one hand-ARROWS in the other-Body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming-WOO HOO! WHAT A RIDE!

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2013, 05:16:00 PM »
Bill,
   Man I am still right there with ya' on that emotional roller coaster..... the adrenalin pumpin' high ...to the gut wrenching loww...

again, great story telling...
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bill Watts II

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2013, 08:21:00 PM »
Thanks everyone!  It was a roller coaster to say the least.
Mornings I was up at 4:00am most times by elk bugling close to camp. I would sit drinking my coffee looking at my watch every 30 seconds in anticipation of sunrise to go chase the elk only to have them go silent at pink-light.  
Everyday there were opportunities that ended with me on my knees, banging my head on the ground.  Near exhaustion, dehydration, and an occasional encounter with a yellow jacket hive only added to the flavor of this hunt.  
However the occasional moments like standing in a meadow well after dark staring upwards at the most spectacular display of stars while elk bugle in the distance has a way of giving you just enough to say "tomorrow will be the day!

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2013, 08:30:00 PM »
"tomorrow will be the day"

:readit:  

:bigsmyl:
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline Bill Watts II

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2013, 08:31:00 PM »

After a day of hunting from my new camp I began to locate a whole lot of elk sign about 2 miles away and downhill towards the trailhead. I broke camp again and moved for a new bench closer to the elk. I had located a big heard but couldn't tell how big the heard was or what kind of bulls were in it. But hey, this is the Gila. There had to be big bulls in it!
The hike was down hill but by now I was beginning to feel fatigued and was aware that I had lost a good deal of weight while out here. I was also, once again feeling as if I were pushing dehydration and needed to water. And bathe.

I found a spring close to where I wanted to set camp and watered. Water never tasted so good!

Offline Bill Watts II

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2013, 08:37:00 PM »

After watering, and bathing I found a good flat spot and pitched a new camp. By now I was getting pretty good at it and it only took about 15 minutes to set up.
I ate lunch and was touching up my broadheads when I heard this short off-sounding bugle. I stood up, grabbed my bow, quiver, and calls and listened. Within minutes I coould hear something busting through the brush and heading up along side the finger ridge I was on. Within seconds a cow elk ran by me at about 60 yards. Adding the facts that I just heard a bugle of sorts, and that the rut was advancing and few cows roamed alone, I took off running towards the spot she came from.

I had made it about 10 yards, when another cow popped out, and then another, another, another, and finally a 310" 5X5 pulling up the rear. There was plenty of brush screening me from them, and the fact that they were moving so I kept running on an angle towards them. I had cut the distance down to about 25-30 yards and was now running parallel to them when I realized I might actually get a shot! I was nocking an arrow as I ran, and was looking in front of me so as to not trip, when out of my peripheral vision I noticed there were no more elk. I came to a screeching halt and looked back. There they were standing still watching me with a "what-the-hey" look on their faces. In an instant they melted into the drainage and I was alone. I had to laugh though. I felt like I was some kind of tribesman chasing plains game in Africa or the likes.

I went back to camp, gathered my gear and went out for an evening hunt.

On my way out to hunt I ran into a guide and his client on horseback. These were the first humans I have seen in 8 days out here and I didn't know how to act. I didn't know if I should hide, shoo them away with a stick, or talk to them. There were two of them, and they saw me so I chose to talk to them.

We exchanged some information on what we had been seeing and talked about the herd I was after. The guide had been on the herd on and off for the last two weeks and was trying to get his last client "anything!" From the look on the clients face, I think he'd of been happy with nothing but a soft bed and a hot meal. They were working back to the trailhead and wrapping up their hunt.

The guide pulled me aside and told me that the herd I was moving in on had a huge herdbull that would probably score around 425"! I'm always reluctant when people tell me of 200" whitetails, 400" elk, and 500lb blackbears, so I politely listened and hld my tongue. The guide could tell I wasn't buying it so he broke out his iphone and started showing me some of the bulls they had killed this year. With each he gave the measure and I was convinced he knew his measure. The last picture he showed was of a 427" a rifle client killed last year and he said, "THIS is the kind of bull holding that herd.

We parted and now I was intrigued!

Here is a picture of self I took that day. It is not a homeless bum looking for a bowl of soup.

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2013, 08:47:00 PM »

Keep it comin'!

Shoot straight, Shinken

:archer2:
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline Bill Watts II

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2013, 08:50:00 PM »

That evening found me looking for the herd, but encountering a respectable bull wandering through. He was a good 280-290" 6x6, and I was able to call him within 15 yards but could not get a clear shot on him. I worked him in a second time to about 15 yards again but all he gave me was a head on shot so I passed. He then tried to circle down wind of me, but I was able to circle around him and got him in a third time to about 30 yards but he was nervous now and only gave me a quartering to shot. He eventually decided something wasn't right and trotted off.
Darkness came quick and walked a good mile in the dark back to camp. Along the way the elk really turned on and I could hear bugling the whole way back.

I was lulled to sleep by bugling elk, and slept like a stone until about 2:30 and then woke with a start. 50 yards from my tent it sounded as if an adolescent youth was being ripped limb for limb. The ungodly racket had me startled and confused until it dawned on me what the noise was. A Barred owl had found my food cashe in the trees and must have thought it was another owl or something that warranted some threatening behavior. The food cashe was kept in a lime green sil-nylon bag and suspended 15 feet up between two trees with spectre cord. It must have appeared to be floating to the bird and thoroughly pissed him off.

Satisfied I wasn't going to find a dismembered body I instantly fell back to sleep.

Picture: Home sweet home!

Offline Bill Watts II

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2013, 09:02:00 PM »
A few things about my sleep set up,

First the bag you see in a Montbell 35 degree down bag.  I chose down becuase it is the lightest most comprssionable insulation out there. Most nights got into the mid to upper 30's but there were a couple that went below freezing.  I also used a silk bag liner, wwhich only weighs a couple ounces but adds 10 degrees of warmth to your set up.  I also slept in my base layers seeing as after a couple days you can't stand the feeling of your dirty oily skin in contact with other skin.  For a pillow I stuffed my insulating layer tops and two vests rolled together into my insulating bottoms.  You could then tie the legs together and it wouln't come undone during the night.

I used a Neo Air air matress which rolls up to about the size of a nalgene bottle and weighs about 9 oz while giving you 2.5" of cushion.

Offline Bill Watts II

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2013, 09:10:00 PM »
4:30am came quick and I had a herd of elk within 150 yards of my tent!
I dressed and ate quietly with a minimal amount of light. I heated some water, made a double cup of coffee, and waited for some light.

It was not hard figuring what was going on in the herd. Occasionally you could hear some some mewing from the cows and calves, but the bulls told the story. One mature deep bugle would resonate from the center of the herd from one direction to the next answering lesser satellites who bugled from safe distances away. All the bugles were straight bugles without challenge with the exception of one. One deep, throaty bugle woould on occasion call out with a series of grunts that followed. The big bull would move towards him bugling but then would return to the same spot.

At daybreak I was off. I didn't know what to even attempt to try so I just played the wind and snuck in toward the herd. I was somewhere in between the challenging bull and some smaller sounding bulls when I started hearing cows to my left and behind me. I was in the herd. I gave a whine and some nonthreatening chuckles and got a blast from the herd bull. As luck would have it the challenger was also moving my way and I could just barely make him out as he was working my was. At about 70 to 80 yards I could see him. He was a good 380" 6X6 with tremendous fronts, great thirds and tops, and had great mass. He was dark racked with ivory tipped points. The picture perfect bull elk!

I focused on him and was unaware of the herd bull who was now within 50 yards of me and heading to my downwind side. You just kind of lose track of the rest of the world when you're watching an elk as big as that 6 moving in your general direction. Somewhere in between deciding what to try on him, the herdbull noticed me. With a loud bark he let everyone know something was there that shouldn't be. I slowly turned around and saw an absolute forest of antler on an enormous elk frame. Seven on the right, seven on the left and I had nothing in my elk hunting past to compare its measure to. It was there looking at me, turned away, and trotted off towards it's cows.

Then there was another bark. Yep, the 6X6 saw me, and in a heartbeat he too was gone. But I was still there! Shaking, smiling and banging my head against a tree. Once in a lifetime!

I hunted the rest of that morning, and though bumping a couple of small raghorns and a muledeer, didn't have much luck at locating any workable elk. I made it back to camp at about 11:00, ate lunch, napped, and woke up around one to thunder. By 2:30 it was raining and I was sitting in the tent pouring over the map, considering the logistics of dead elk, remaining days, and departing flights. I was 24 hours from putting this hunt in the books, and heading back to civilization. The end was in sight and it was looking like tag soup again.

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: June 06, 2013, 09:26:00 PM »
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Bill Watts II

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2013, 09:29:00 PM »

Within the hour the rain had stopped and I was out of the tent and heading towards a new northeast facing slope of one of the finger ridges of the canyon I was in. I was maybe 1/2 mile from camp when the sky ripped open and I found myself in a typical New Mexico afternoon deluge....without my raingear. I ran to some small pines, crawled under one and broke the lower boughs stacking them over my head on the overhanging branches making a roof of sorts. It worked!

I sat under the pine and waited out the rain. It kept me dry enough that I wouldn't have to give up the evenings hunt. Eventually it stopped and I moved on.

As I neared the NE slope I could start to make out bugles. The elk were talking! I maneuvered to get the wind in my favor and moved towards them. I was able to get within 150 yards of where I heard the big bull and started to stalk in slowly. I could still hear the herd bull, the challenger, and what sounded like some more satelites taunting him. I tried some lost cow calls and got all the bulls to bugle at me. I figured if I were outside the herd, and I could get a satelite interested, particularily the big 380" then maybe I could get a shot at one of them. It was hard to tell exactly what was going on with all the responses each time I called, but I was pretty sure I had the herdbull moving my way to check out the "lost cow."

I then had an idea. I did another lost cow sequence and then immediately ran to my right 20 yards towards where the 380" was, turned back towards where I cow called, and gave a series of chuckles. I then ran back to where I cow called and started to slowly move away from the herdbull and towards where I did the chuckle, cow calling all the way. I wanted to create the scenario that the lost cow I was immitating was moving to a satelite bull and not thee herd bull.

Everything got quiet, with the exception of some of the small bulls bugling and I got impatient. I turned from the herdbull to try the sequence again and heard an alarm bark. Just out of bow range and partially screened by small pines the 380 stood looking straight at me. I then heard some small branches breaking to my left and turned to see the herdbull slithering away. He too was just out of bow range. Pretty soon there were elk rumps everywhere trotting off to parts unknown.

They were all gone and I was alone. I shook my head and walked over to where the 380" stood. The area reaked of elk. I drew it in knowing it was probably the last chance I had. I was physically drained and finding more elk would mean moving farther from camp and a longer walk back in the dark.

I flopped down on the ground, pulled out my map and a cliff bar, and started looking at where I'd been, what I'd seen, and what I'd missed. I noticed one long flat bench that paralled the ridge I was on all the way to a huge burn about a mile away. I'd only seen the spot from a high peak a few days earlier and recalled I heard elk bugling from that general direction. What the heck, it was my last evening to hunt.

I headed toward the burn with daylight running out and only stopped from time to time to call and listen for a response. I was almost to the peak when I got two responses within 100 yards. I dropped over the side of the ridge and moved quickly. Soon I was hearing some familiar bugles and found myself almost running right into the center of the herd I was working earlier. I could hear the herd bull straight in front of me, and the 380 far down below him. I had bulls to my left and could hear cows mewing and chirping all over in front of me. I dropped to my knees and crawled a good 50 yards without being detected. The herd bull was moving around a small area bugling back at the satelites from both sides if him. At one point I could see his back and rack 40 yards in front of me. I was close!

Usually it's a breeze to the back of the neck that preludes being busted, but not this time, it was the surrounding cows closing in around me. I could hear them at first just in front of me, but soon they were on all three sides. I tried to do a lost cow call to see if I could get the big guy just 10 yards closer, but immediately I had two bugles within 30 yards to my left.

Within seconds I could see elk legs moving towards me through the underscore. A good 6X6 peered over some pines at 20 yards. A slightly smaller 5X6 flanked him. They watched me for a few minutes crouched behind a tiny fir tree and then turned away. The herdbull had moved off towards the 380 and sonded like he was about 75 yards away. I hit the lost cow again and really pput some serious urgency in it. The two bulls came back and this time got within 15 yards of me. I was on one knee with an arrow nocked and my fingers were tightening on the string. We stared each other down and he eventually turned to leave. In one fluid motion I stood when his back was turned, started to draw, and as he turned to look back he presented me with a 25 yard downhill quartering away shot. I picked my spot, found my anchor, and released. It was like shooting a whitetail from a treestand.

With a "thunk" the arrow buried to the fletching and the bull took off with his partner in tow. He ran right back into the herd and past the herdbull. I listened for a few moments and thought I heard a hoarking sound. I marked the spot with some tape, recorded it on my GPS and slipped back out of there. I would give him time to die and look for him in the morning.

It was a long 1.5 mile hike to camp but I swear I floated the whole way back! I kept playing the encounter over and over in my mind.

I found camp, made a quick dinner and was in my sleeping bag in record time. Morning couldn't come soon enough!

Picture: Celebration dinner of high calorie potatoe goo.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: June 06, 2013, 09:46:00 PM »
excellent story!! great telling of it!
Make a life, not a living

Offline Bill Watts II

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: June 06, 2013, 11:04:00 PM »

Daybreak found me back at the shot. I could follow his tracks for abouut 15 yards and then started finding blood drolets. None were bigger than a quarter, and a good deal of time was spent on my knees following tracks and looking for possible escape paths he could have taken.
It was about 70 yards from the shot that the real blood appeared. It looked as if someone took a measuring cup full of blood and slowly spilled it as they walked and then dumped it all on the ground at once. I found another just like it 5 yards ahead and this looked like a quart spilled! I then looked up and this is what I saw. (Minus the bow, of course!)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©