3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Half a blackswan bow  (Read 355 times)

Offline Sigmazxcs

• Trad Bowhunter
Half a blackswan bow
« on: June 04, 2013, 12:50:00 AM »
Hi tradgang,

Been around here way too long before I actually decided its time I own a bow. So I here is my quest for my first bow. 

I was browsing the net, finding nice bows to ogle at. Saw some pretty ones like Robertson Fatalstyks, Morrisons, Acadian, y'know what I mean. So I happen to see blackswan bows and coming from an engineering background, it was a perfect excuse to own one. So I starting scraping my dough together. 

I posted a buying thread on the classifieds and took about a month or two before I had any headwind of a blackswan, and boy I was excited. 

Dave came along with a pm and we talked in detail regarding the bow. Now I must admit I was a little disappointed to hear that I won't be getting any carbons in this bow since only the riser is blackswan. But it was a deal I couldn't pass on, in terms of price and the urge to own it. I simply love that riser that blackswan stopped producing. 

The next blow to my urge to own the bow came when Dave scaled the bow. 
It came in much too heavy for my short draw, 39# @ 24". I was only able to do target so a comfortable lower 30 was what I wanted. I asked Dave if I could trap it to drop the weight and he said he'd help me with it although he don't recommend it. That said, I decided to proceed with the deal. Hey, I can build up my draw weight right? 

Dave had the bow refinished to matte black as he had it sprayed camo for a pig hunt a few days before our deal, and great news came along too. I was prepared to trap the now myself to a lower 36# @ 24" but Dave went all the way to help me even though it wasn't what I asked of him! He actually brought the bow down to an amazing 33#! Man, how blessed I felt! 

A few days after the now was refinished, I sent Dave the payment he had it shipped that evening. Waiting time was stated 3 to 4 weeks since I'm way out in Singapore. 

Another surprise came last week on Friday when I received a letter from my post registry. They asked me to collect my package from Dave from the post office! And all that shipment only took a week to reach me! Wow! 

Bow specs:
15.5" Blackswan riser (first gen?)
Tonkin boo and black glass hybrid longbow limbs
66" NTN, 33# @ 24" 

56# @ 30", 171 fps with 515gr arrow before dropping poundage
48# @ 30", 194 fps with 500gr arrow after dropping poundage 

I managed to string up the bow using a makeshift stringer made of just paracord. Gotta make a better one soon. I was too short to use the push-pull method properly.  :(
Aaron

Offline Sigmazxcs

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Half a blackswan bow
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 12:52:00 AM »

Aaron

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 12:58:00 AM »
Very nice, I've been to Singapore a few times, where do you go shoot there? Love the food there and that was my favorite port in that neck of the woods.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 01:00:00 AM »
nice, now start feeding it a steady diet of arrows
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 01:38:00 AM »
That is one neat looking longbow
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Nativestranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 01:43:00 AM »
I guess it's 3/4 of a black swan. Looks like that gentlemen did a good job on the limbs. They look almost like the originals sans the carbon. But I guess the proof is in the shooting. I don't prefer metal bows but the black swan is different. It looks every bit as traditional as the next. Now if only I can find a newer belly mount blackswan hybrid in left hand.
Instinctive gapper.

Offline Sigmazxcs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 09:08:00 AM »
Currently I'm unable to shoot due to my internship. And because the ranges only open on weekend mornings usually. Had it been legal to stump in public land, I'd have gotten arrows and broken many of them!

And yes, this is one fine bow indeed. The bow feels quite balanced in the hand, but I think I'll be making a bow sling to aid my shooting. Have any of you made a sling for a trad bow like this that doesn't have any stab bushing?
Aaron

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 12:06:00 PM »
Aaron, I've seen ones on auction sight that you could probably replicate, they don't attach to the bow, but not really needed, I don't know anybody that uses them and I shoot with a lot of trad bow shooters  nothing wrong with them, you just really don't need them.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 12:33:00 PM »
That is a good looking bow!
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 04:05:00 PM »
Cool riser shape and David/Vermonster is a heck of a guy to deal with.

Good shooting.     :archer2:
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline Moots

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 04:10:00 PM »
Looks very fast.

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 06:02:00 PM »
That is one sexy, sleek looking bow!
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline Sigmazxcs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 08:26:00 PM »
Yes, one heck of a bow she is isn't it!
I sure hope to fling some arrows out of her soon, hopefully within the next week! Probably gonna try converting the long hallway of my flat into s narrow range for me to shoot in. Sounds like I might break my TV.

I'll be trying my hands on making a sling using 550 paracord. Gonna make a diamond weave or a fishtail weave to attach to loop around the bow, and then loop around the wrist. The other end will be hooked onto the loop on the bow. Doesn't sound like I'm making any sense am I? I hope the sling will be ready tomorrow!
Aaron

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 10:34:00 AM »
You can make a sling out of leather or Para cord that loops over your thumb and index finger a short figure eight like. It stays on one finger when not shooting and just loop over the other when You grab the riser.

bretto

Offline Sigmazxcs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2013, 11:23:00 AM »
Hey, I think I know what you're talking about. It's something like a finger sling isn't it? I've thought of that, but only as a back up. I guess I like fancy paracord braids.

I've finished the braid already. Did it in class today since there wasn't much to learn today. I used a caterpillar sinnet to form the main braid and then a king cobra braid over the main braid to use as the sling around my wrist.

I'll probably need to buy more paracord to play with. I think the caterpillar sinnet is a bit thick and coarse even though it requires little paracord, probably try fishtail braid next time.
I'll have pictures of the wrist sling up tomorrow once I set it up. Can't wait to try it!
Aaron

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2013, 09:47:00 PM »
You had me going there for a minute because I do have a 1/2 Black Swan bow  :)  Riser: Black Swan
Limbs: Pronghorn.  They fit without any adaptation and shoot great...tippit

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Sigmazxcs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2013, 10:34:00 PM »
Hi tippit,

Yes, I've seen that now before but had no idea who it belongs to! Lusted over it for awhile, but I still very much prefer the riser I have now. Can't beat it for space-age.  :laughing:
Your bow was what got me thinking of getting just the riser and matching it with aftermarket limbs. And definitely had me lusting over pronghorns for a moment or two!

How does she shoot? I bet she's a shooter for sure! I like the silver vane coat on the riser, maybe I'll refinish mine someday with powdered silver vane too.
Aaron

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2013, 10:36:00 PM »
Shoots great.  I was going to convert it to DAS til I found that Pronghorn limbs fit perfectly.
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Sigmazxcs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2013, 12:24:00 AM »
Hi tippit,

I'm thinking of getting it converted to ILF had Dave not drop the bow weight for me.
Most likely I'll converted it later after I'm done with the limbs. Probably get some Morrison Max 1 or TT Carbon masters. That's if I don't jump in for the Morrison 15" phenolic risers.... Hmm...
Aaron

Offline delongbows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2013, 07:53:00 AM »
Glad you're happy with the bow Aaron....I'm sure gonna miss that one!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©