3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Woods that Stay Straight  (Read 259 times)

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
Woods that Stay Straight
« on: June 04, 2013, 07:07:00 AM »
I was wondering if there are certain varieties of wood shafting that have the best tendencies to stay straight after finishing/sealing.

I've been told that POC is a good one for not having to straighten as much. Any others?

How bout Doug Fir, or Sitka Spruce?

Thank you

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Woods that Stay Straight
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 07:55:00 AM »
I use lots of POC and rarely, if ever have to straighten a shaft. I often read about having to straighten wood shafts, but I just have not had the problem.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Online Chuck Jones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 08:01:00 AM »
I've found that if the shaft has straight grain and starts out perfectly straight; it will remain straight. I have 30 year old ramin arrows that have never needed straightening.

I think it applies to all types of wood. If the raw shaft is crooked, the finished arrow will not stay straight.

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 08:05:00 AM »
I have never had to concern myself with it using Doug Fir, Ash or Sitka Spruce....  maybe I am ignorant to the fact but never noticed any problems with random spinning of shaft.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 10:19:00 AM »
"Sraight" is a somewhat relative term when it comes to arrows. To me, it means spinning the shafts in a ball bearing spinner and the tip does not roll around in a circle, even a small one. I have never found any Cedar, Douglas Fir or Sitka Spruce that came straight and stayed that way. While easy to straighten, these soft woods do occasionally need some "tweaking" to maintain straightness. It has been my experience that  today good, straight Cedar is hard to come by while Hildebrand Sitka Spruce and even more so Surewood Douglas Fir shafts are excellent, requiring very little work.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 11:02:00 AM »
First rule is buy the best you can get. POC, Ash, Doug Fir and Spruce can all be perfectly manageable if you follow the first rule. I rarely straighten a shaft.

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 08:08:00 PM »
Douglas fir and ash are the only two woods I use anymore.  It's been by experience that douglas fir stays straight - after initial hand straightening and sealing I never need to touch them again.  Ash takes a bit more to straighten and I do have to keep an eye on them after straightening.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 08:41:00 AM »
I shoot Surewood doug firs and have never had to straighten an arrow. Ever.

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 11:20:00 AM »
Thanks guys, I picked up a half dozen POC to shoot out of my RER Recurve, man, I'm liking the added quietness and the way they shoot.

I'm going to order a dozen prefinished shafts, and was hoping for something that would maintain relative straightness.

This bow shoots heavy arrows well for 45lbs I may look at the Doug Firs.

Thanks for the feedback...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©