3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: FYI Deer Hunting Ohio  (Read 551 times)

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
FYI Deer Hunting Ohio
« on: June 04, 2013, 07:38:00 AM »
This is not political and please leave the post that way. This is just an FYI for any out of state hunters.

ODNR passed a doe only muzzle loader season in October for the 12th and 13th. If you planned to be bow hunting here that weekend or there abouts, you might like to change your plans. I just wanted to get the info out there so no one has their hunt ruined.

God bless,
Charlie

Offline PA Bones

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: FYI Deer Hunting Ohio
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 08:04:00 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I will definitely avoid bowhunting Ohio that weekend.

Offline Longbowlogan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 09:26:00 AM »
This is just great, thanks odnr for screwing up the early season hunting. Wonder how many bucks are going to be killed that weekend and called in later in the week!
Big Stick Assassin LB 60" 51@29
Big Stick Assassin LB 62" 60@28
Schafer Silvertip RC 60" 54@28, 57@27, 76@29

PBS Associate member

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 09:43:00 AM »
I sometimes hear single rifle shots where I bow hunt in Ohio. I know the difference between the sound of a shot gun and a high power rifle.  it aint squirrl hunters..maybe coyote hunters?.. It got worse after the call in deer check..

Offline Mad Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 10:36:00 AM »
The odnr doesn't appear to listen to anyone but farm bureau and license sales. I've not heard anyone wanting it and everyone disliking it. The rules this year appear to be a last minute thing.They should read readers comments and polls in the Ohio Outdoor News publication. These are people who are in the woods year after year.

Offline Mad Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 11:08:00 AM »
The odnr doesn't appear to listen to anyone but farm bureau and license sales. I've not heard anyone wanting it and everyone disliking it. The rules this year appear to be a last minute thing.They should read readers comments and polls in the Ohio Outdoor News publication. These are people who are in the woods year after year.

Offline Steve in Canton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 12:47:00 PM »
I have no problem with the new season.  People are getting worked up over nothing.  I like the fact that they have eliminated the extra 2 day  anydeer season in December.  Most hunters are honest and are not going to poach a buck.

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 01:09:00 PM »
"The odnr doesn't appear to listen to anyone but farm bureau and license sales."

You forgot about the insurance companies, they probably have more influence than any...

"Most hunters are honest and are not going to poach a buck."

You're kidding right.... "Most" maybe, but how many good bucks are going to get whacked by these smokepolers when a big bucks walks out in front of them with a rifle in their hands when they are legal to be in the woods... Lotz are not going to resist. If your're from Canton, surely you oughta know what the blaze orange weekend army is like...  We're not talkn about dedicated bowhunters here, and they the ones to suffer after watching and patterning bucks through the summer only to have the survivors go nocturnal in early October...

Offline irishhacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 01:27:00 PM »
This was definitely not something new or last minute.
This was in the proposal before the public meetings. (october ML hunt) I disagree with the early ML hunt, but found myself conceding if they were going to eliminate the 2nd gun season.

In the end,, they did not eliminate the 2nd gun season in Dec. They simply moved it in a last minute decision due to pressure from Ohio congress. It is now in January tacked on to the normal late ML season. I had many conversations with Mike Tonkavich regarding this issue. I assure you, this decision was not made based on opinions from biologists or hunters. This is a money grab of the political nature.

Now, archers do not have any months to hunt in Ohio that is not interrupted by a gun season. ( I guess we do have 3 days in September and 3 days in February)
60x Custom Strings Staff Shooter  http://www.60xcustomstrings.com/

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 01:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by buckeye_hunter:
This is not political and please leave the post that way. God bless,
Charlie
Reading comprehension challenged are we???
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline irishhacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 01:52:00 PM »
While I agree with the notion to leave politics out of it, it simply is not possible regarding this issue if the facts are being stated.

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 02:07:00 PM »
Yeah this early ML season and restructure of firearms season  is not new and been in the works for a nearly a year now and widely publicized, but regardless of sportsmen’s opinions, I've rarely if ever seen them change regulations due to public outcry once regs are submitted to the wildlife counsel.

Just when I think DOW decisions can't get any worst, it does...

We were lucky a few years ago when the OBA helped get days extended at the end of the bowseason to makeup days we lost to firearms during bowseason...

Offline irishhacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 02:10:00 PM »
Yes, i agree Zbone..
It is a great time for bowhunters to support the OBA if not doing so already.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 07:28:00 PM »
This is not political and please leave the post that way. This is just an FYI for any out of state hunters.

ODNR passed a doe only muzzle loader season in October for the 12th and 13th. If you planned to be bow hunting here that weekend or there abouts, you might like to change your plans. I just wanted to get the info out there so no one has their hunt ruined.

God bless,
Charlie
Read the post again. I knew if it went to a political discussion, it would be moved. I want it out on Pow Wow to help guys out.

MY INTENT IS TO HELP HARD WORKING, BLUE COLLAR HUNTERS THAT ARE SCHEDULING BOW HUNTS IN OHIO. I WOULD LIKE TO HELP THEM AVOID WASTING THEIR MONEY ON THAT WEEKEND.

My reading comprehension is just fine. The "this" I was referring to is the post, not the overall topic. I know the issue is/can be political, but this post is not meant for that. It is just an FYI so hard working guys don't waste their money. I hate to see someone end up on the short end of the stick.

God bless,
Charlie

*There is a thread on the politics of this issue over in the correct forum.

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 07:46:00 PM »
Squirrel season starts sept 1 in Ohio and is very popular in many areas.  Most deer here start hearing guns and seeing hunters three weeks before the archery opener.

It's true that unless you have controlled private land to hunt you may want to avoid a gun weekend to archery hunt although I took a nice buck on a youth gun weekend with no shortage of shooting going on around me.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline Steve in Canton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2013, 08:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by irishhacker:
This was definitely not something new or last minute.
This was in the proposal before the public meetings. (october ML hunt) I disagree with the early ML hunt, but found myself conceding if they were going to eliminate the 2nd gun season.

In the end,, they did not eliminate the 2nd gun season in Dec. They simply moved it in a last minute decision due to pressure from Ohio congress. It is now in January tacked on to the normal late ML season. I had many conversations with Mike Tonkavich regarding this issue. I assure you, this decision was not made based on opinions from biologists or hunters. This is a money grab of the political nature.

Now, archers do not have any months to hunt in Ohio that is not interrupted by a gun season. ( I guess we do have 3 days in September and 3 days in February)
. They did not approve the 2 extra days in January.

Offline yankeevol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2013, 08:55:00 PM »
Not sure about all the politics, but I like to hunt Ohio whether with both bow or ML. It won't screw up my weekend - I'll be there.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2013, 09:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by John Scifres:

This is not political and please leave the post that way. God bless,
Charlie
Reading comprehension challenged are we??? [/b]
Definitely.

Offline BrushWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2013, 10:00:00 PM »
I will probably try to bowhunt that weekend. I don't like the season and don't believe it is necessary. But I guess I can get the orange out for two days.
Kids who hunt, trap, & fish don't mug little old ladies.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2013, 10:33:00 PM »
Perhaps Hunters want to bring orange just in case???
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©