3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: When do variations among my broadheads become significant?  (Read 247 times)

Offline Naphtali

• Trad Bowhunter
When do variations among my broadheads become significant?
« on: August 30, 2007, 10:44:00 AM »
I was prepping my broadheads and decided to mic them. I discovered a blade length variation of .055 inch among them, their average blade length being 2.693 inches.

The broadheads are screw-in, single-bladed, cut-on-contact, with permanent blades, nominal 160 grains. These have been used and are in excellent condition.

What length variation is acceptable for used broadheads? For new broadheads?

What weight variation is acceptable for used broadheads? For new broadheads?
It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: When do variations among my broadheads become significant?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 10:57:00 AM »
I'd say as long as they all fly well and hit the mark I wouldn't worry about it.

Weight variation would probably play a bigger role but then again if they fly well and hit the mark, the're good to go.

To be honest even when I was spot shooting with my wheel bow I never went so far as to measure or weigh anything to that amount of precision. Although I knew a lot of shooters that did.

On the other hand, from a psychological perspective, it it bothers you and will affect your confidence then go ahead and even them out.

Just my 2 cents
"Failure is an attitude, not an outcome."  -Harvey Mackay

:archer:               MikeD.

Offline stickflngr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 11:00:00 AM »
Ive had broadheads that vary as much as 6 grains but as long as they group together I never sweated it. Never checked to see how long they were but I file my tips down to a chisel point so I imagine that they vary also. I would say if they group well, go find a nice accomadating piece of hide and shoot it.... SHOOT STRAIGHT AND TRACK HARD>>>> Kenny
SHOOT STRAIGHT AND TRACK HARD>>> Kenny

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb discussing what to have for lunch"
      " Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 11:44:00 AM »
"When do variations among my broadheads become significant"?

When the individual broadheads consistantly show noticabley different points of impact. Until then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

-Sharps
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Naphtali

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 01:40:00 PM »
Guys:

Sometimes I get so wrapped up in quantification-based rules, I forget about intended results. Your answers are exactly what I need.
On a tangent, I just read Ed Ashby's single-bevel broadhead file. It should cause the extinction of many, many broadheads. State regulatory agencies could do a lot worse than requiring this technology on broadheads to be used hunting "big game."

Unfortunately, "should, could," and 75 cents will get you coffee.

Ed's report makes me feel warm and fuzzy that I've got a large order of broadheads that match his specifications, and they are the second screw-in to make his "best of breed" list.
It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©