3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Favorite Bow Length  (Read 886 times)

Offline Deeter

• Trad Bowhunter
Favorite Bow Length
« on: June 05, 2013, 04:15:00 AM »
Ok boys.  Im sure this question has been asked before in the past.  What is everyones favorite bow length to hunt with from a tree stand?  I am shooting a kodiak Mag, but am looking at the  Hoyt Dorado or GamemasterII.  Thanks guys.
Ben

1966 Bear Kodiak
2011 Bear KMag
2012 Bear Super Kodiak
“When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that the hunter is 20 feet closer to God.”
― Fred Bear

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Favorite Bow Length
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 06:53:00 AM »
I have a favorite bow that is 64".  It has made more meat for me than any other bow I have, from both the ground and from a tree.  

I didn't choose the length of the bow because it shoots best out of a tree.  It just shoots the best for me period, and the length has not been a problem at all for me.  I just make sure to take the bow into account when I set up a stand and make sure that I have the clearance that I need.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 07:02:00 AM »
My favorite is 60". I have a 26" draw. I hunt only from tree stands for whitetail and the stand has no bearing on the length bow I use. Plenty of clearance can be arranged.

Offline Jim Picarelli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 07:31:00 AM »
I prefer a 58" recurve and a 64" longbow. I've gone shorter and longer on both though
67" Hill Tembo, 50@27
67" Hill Half Breed, 53@27
66" Hill Redman, 48@27
66" Hill Cheetah, 55@27
66" Hill Big Five, 50@27

Offline ca

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 07:37:00 AM »
62 inch recurve, 66 inch in longbows
No Country for Old Men

Offline hunthold

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 07:50:00 AM »
I hunt mostly out of railed climbers. For me, the shorter the better. I've done it with bows up to 64", but like 56" or less.
My new bow is 50" and should fit the bill nicely for me..

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 07:52:00 AM »
I like 60-64" the best, but I've also enjoyed shooting a couple 54" bows from a blind, and it sure  makes for more space in the stand. I'm usually set up in pretty tight cover so I'm not worried about having to take a long shot where you'd want the stability of a long bow.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 08:07:00 AM »
Hunt is that a Shrew or a JavaMan bow? VERY nice.  

I think it all depends on how far you can lean over the rail, haha.  I would think a good bit less than 64" would be ideal for most, prolly more like 60", 60" is a nice length for ease of movement but still smooth to pull.  

I just got a 52" Toelke Kestrel for a thick brush bow, it's 48" strung!  It's like a 53# version of a kids bow, but pulls smooth to 29".  Doesn't seem good to shoot much past 20 yards stability wise, but a bow that short is meant for up close and personal.

I will say other than the Kestrel, all my go-to's are 66"+, I love a long long bow.  6' 2" here.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline jcp161

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 08:14:00 AM »
A 62" bow has been my length of choice for a while now in longbow or recurve but the 52" Lil Hoots I picked up here is quickly becoming my go to bow for everything. It shoots every bit as well as the longer bows and I can actually shoot it sitting on the ground with just a seat pad. Tree stand/saddle is no problem for either length.
"In bow hunting, the goal is not marksmanship but shooting well. And shooting well, after all, is merely a matter of only taking shots you can make."-Hunting from Home-Christopher Camuto

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 08:42:00 AM »
A good length is also a function of draw length and physical stature.  I have a longer draw, and that is why a longer bow seems to shoot better for me.  

A 64" bow is about 3" longer on each end than a 58" bow.  My 6'3" height puts me more than 3" above the average person.  So lower limb clearance for me isn't near the issue it might be for a guy that is 5'9".  

I do have to pay careful attention to upper limb clearance, but that generally isn't much of a problem to overcome if you take the time to think it through ahead of time.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 10:05:00 AM »
I have a 28-inch draw and generally shoot 64-inch longbows out of a tree, and anywhere else for that matter.  I, too, select the bow I best like to shoot.  Whether I'm in a tree or not has no bearing on the bow length decision.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 10:17:00 AM »
I prefer a 66 inch longbow, and a 62 to 64 inch recurve. I'm 6 foot tall, with a 27 and 3/4" draw.  :campfire:

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 10:19:00 AM »
I have shot many different bows over the past few years and have settled in the 62-64" range. Most being 64". I'm 6'3" and have a 30" draw so the longer bows shoot just a little smoother.

I do have a 56" Jason Kendal built Kobekona River bow that I can shoot very well though. I think it's forward handle design lends to it's handling my longer draw.

bretto

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 11:48:00 AM »
I like 68" longbows for the smootness of draw. I have learned to compensate for the length by sitting a bit sideways on the stand and leaning forward a bit so hitting the stand with the bottom of the bow is not a major hassle.
Sam

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2013, 11:52:00 AM »
64 in longbow and 62 in recurves.

God bless, Steve

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2013, 11:58:00 AM »
The bow in my Avator 60" Bob Lee longbow limbs is my go-to for now.I shoot it better than any others.Use to love 58" recurves before.Kip

Offline CKeth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2013, 12:07:00 PM »
I'm on the short side- 5'7" with a 26" draw- and I prefer longbows right about 60". I've shot as short as 52" and as long as 68" and they both seem to be getting further from ideal for me.

Offline Chortdraw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2013, 12:31:00 PM »
I have built a few bows and being a short guy I like 60-56 inch. The one that is my go to bow is a 56" static tip recurve that shoots smooth/fast and accurate.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2013, 12:34:00 PM »
60"s
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2013, 12:49:00 PM »
62" for me
James Kerr

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©