3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Did wood arrows ever fail you?  (Read 1445 times)

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Did wood arrows ever fail you?
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2013, 08:27:00 PM »
I'm going to shoot woodies got a half dozen cedars way quieter than carbons a lot of fun gotta pick a shaft material and get a dozen

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2013, 08:34:00 PM »
I like wood!!!!! and NO they have never failed me!!!

They're biodegradable too!!!!! A lost wood arrow has just gone home to it's source.....

Just think, hundreds of years from now, someone walking along, will pick up a plastic nock and wonder... Did some old past hunter shoot at a deer with his arrow??? Who made it??? Where has it been??? What has it done???

Just as we find & think of stone arrowheads today.....

Just one old woodchucker's opinion!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Online varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2013, 08:53:00 PM »
Nope and I've had some that should have and didnt!  Always have gotten great penetration too.
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline John Krause

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2013, 08:53:00 PM »
I've failed them a few times but never them on me. Always keep 1/2 a dozen 2016's ready in case of a huge fall. I have woodies with judo points that last a long time. Woodies are just right. If you shoot trad, what's more trad?
When a man shoots with a bow it is own vigor of body that drives the arrow,  his own mind controls the missile's flight......His trained muscles and toughened thews have done the work

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2013, 09:00:00 PM »
As a kid I had a bunch of mismatched cedar arrows, all different lengths and fletching colors, etc. My first dozen arrows as an adult were cedars in 1967 and after I lost and brokes them all I switched to Microflight. Took my first deer with one of the M/F in 1969. Gradually moved to aluminum and then to carbon.

I shoot some woodies once in a while now, mainly for rabbit hunting.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2013, 09:23:00 PM »
I miss that old Whip sometimes, but I'm a Chinook man now.  If you ever decide to sell I want it back...lol.

You all have just about completely shoved me into the Surewood corner.  I've beaten the heck out of my surewoods for the last month and I'm not sure you can break them! Keep em coming!

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2013, 11:28:00 PM »
Wood is good!!!!  99.9% of my hunting is with wood.  'Nough said!
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2013, 11:49:00 PM »
Appreciate the responses guys.  Thinking Snag is going to get some more business.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2013, 12:51:00 AM »
All I've ever used in my traditional bows (30 years with a few misguided years gap in the early 80's) is wood arrows and I cannot blame them for any failures.  Many have snapped, but after the broadhead was on the farside of the deer after the jog was done.  I take that as an acceptable loss.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2013, 05:08:00 AM »
I somtimes destroy half a dozzen  aluminum booted carbons in a day of ground squirrel shooting. Save my pretty woods for shoots ect. Will take them on a deer hunt. That way they never get shot.   :biglaugh:
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline turkey65

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2013, 05:47:00 AM »
I've been shooting woodies for sixty years and never had a problem,even back in the fifties when I bought cedars for two to three dollars a dozen and made my own with dads help I've always enjoyed the cedar smell and even the feather burning smell.Till this day nothing says traditional like wood arrows.

Offline Tree Killer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2013, 07:43:00 AM »
Been shooting and hunting with wood for 25 years and douglas fir the last 20 of them. Never had a single issue shooting at a deer or elk, but several arrows broke when I'd attempt to let the air out of a rock hiding behind a tuft of grass once in awhile!
"stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2013, 08:06:00 AM »
Nope!

They add something extra special to my trip(s) to "Sherwood", that's not possible with anything other than "woodies".

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline stiknstringer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2013, 08:35:00 AM »
I went to the very first ETAR at denton hill with nothing but one longbow, one back quiver and one dozen wooden arrows.I know I shot those arrows for three days hundreds of times. When I left, there were 8 left (lost four)all in good condition. That's all I have to say bout that.  :bigsmyl:

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2013, 08:57:00 AM »
When treestand hunting I always have one arrow nocked with four more in the bow quiver. The bow is always in my hand with bow across left thigh ready to roll.

Usually half way through the deer season I inspect all my arrows and broadheads. I was shocked to see that the four spare arrows were all warped pretty bad. It took me awhile to figure out what was going on. The weight of the bow and my arm pressing against the arrows over a few weeks was enough to set a bend in the wood shafts.

Now I make sure I have the hood on right knee and arrow gripper on the left thigh. This takes the direct pressure off the arrows.

This is the only time I can think of where a wood arrow gave me any negative issue.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Keb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2013, 09:01:00 AM »
I am still a green horn with only on wood arrow harvest, wood is awsome. I get them to fly better than a carbon shaft from my rig.

Offline CJ Pearson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2013, 09:04:00 AM »
I shot wood for years. One day at the range we were messing around taking 50-60 yd "un-realistic" shots at targets. I shot at an elk and hit the re-bar in the leg that was holding it up. Picked up my arrow went to the next target drew back and buried the upper half of the arrow into my forearm under the arm gaurd when I released it. No one to blame but myself for not checking the arrow before I shot it again. I've had carbon splinter after hitting a rock and not notice it until further inspection. With all that being said I would not hesitate to shoot wood again. In fact I do, my selfbows as far as I know have never shot anything but wood. A carbon arrow out of a selfbow to me would be like putting "whip cream on an onion" and this is just my opinion.  ;)

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2013, 09:05:00 AM »
Red, great example of something we wouldn't normally think about.  Thanks.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2013, 09:35:00 AM »
been shooting woodies since my start in 90s...started with POC but they broke too easily if not on the mark or if withdrawn incorrectly out of target.  Went to Sitka and Doug Fir and no more problems.

I have never had an arrow fail to deliver in penetration and flight if I did my part as the shooter...NEVER.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline 1screagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2013, 10:26:00 AM »
Hi Mike,

I have been enjoying Legolas more than words could ever say, thank you again! I have found a combination I developed through testing that I like very well. I use Heritage Express 250's cut as short as I'm comfortable with at my draw length, I have 200 gr. tips, broadhead & field tips, total weight 565 gr.. I have some woodies I believe to be Douglas fir that I use for my hunting with a Clff Zwickey, total weight is 560-565 grain. This combo works in 5 of my bows, recurve and longbows 55 lb. to 61 lb. The woodies spine 70-75lb. Woodies are so beautiful and so quiet. I did select traditional cut feathers and they do make noise. I will trim them to deminish the wind noise for hunting. I do most of my stump shooting and practice with the carbons and switch to the wood for hunting season with confidence. I will be glad to share my experiences as they develop. Only thing slightly perceptible when shooting them simultaneously is the wood seems to group slightly left of point of aim by about 4inchs but at same height. When shooting just the woodies I like them every bit as much as the carbons. Older I get, the more traditional stuff I enjoy.
3 Wes Wallace Recurves,
2 original Mentors & 1 B-Model Mentor
3 Wes Wallace Longbows
1 Dwyer Defiant "Legolas"

www.stoneartistllc.com

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©